Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
I like Tim Cook, but he's not a visionary like Steve Jobs or Jony Ive. He's just a really good CEO at generating cash, eliminating product lines that aren't making enough cash etc etc.

WrightBrain

macrumors regular
May 30, 2009
I really do believe some MacRumors members doesn’t have a sense of what ‘innovation’ is and they take this term severely out of context. I think two of the biggest products that have been released under Cook was the Apple Watch and AirPods, if that’s not Innovation, then what is? The Apple Watch is leading the way in Health features and the AirPods are probably the most popular accessory Apple has ever created in their line up.

Airpods haven't really set the world on fire have they? At least I hope not, Apple HAS been having quality control issues lately. I mean, they're just refined versions of wireless earbuds.

And the Apple Watch is cool, but nothing compared to the iPad, the iPhone, the iMac or the concept of bundling a computer with a keyboard and the mouse. Those were revolutionary products when they came out. The Apple Watch and Airpods are evolutionary not innovative.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Also, I'm glad to see that Leander Kahney got the memo about only ever showing Apple executives in black and white on their biography covers.

View attachment 831295

Observation derived from AngerDanger's post:

bw_apple_exec_biographies-jpg.831295

Note the serialization of the two titles by the author, Leander Kahney, of these two halo-graphies:
The Genius <blah, blah, blah>
Probably, I am not alone thinking that neither Tim Cook nor Jony Ive rate as Geniuses -- not when seen side-by-side to Steve Jobs.

Not by a country mile.

nnoble

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2011
Overall mostly negative remarks or contributors simply attempting ‘clever’ comments. My guess is none have read beyond the MR title of the post or the full post itself let alone the book or even an online objective review of the book. This read more than any shows the puerile side of MR forums, just a load of bores looking for likes.

JetTester

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2014
I have a lot of respect for Tim Cook. While his expertise is in a different area than Steve Jobs, he was able to use it to make Apple the most profitable company in history. Not a small achievement. And he knows where to go for a great education, too. WAR EAGLE!

Reactions: BigMcGuire

floling

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2011
there have been good products that have been discounted. iphone se for example. a phone many people like. but und only one thing counts. size. thats so un-steve.
genius? apple credit card? oh really?

s54

Suspended
Sep 25, 2012
Tim Cook, the Genius who announced a first-ever Apple product to be scrapped.
[doublepost=1554824503][/doublepost]
No, he's the one in the van with "FREE CANDY" scrawled on the side.

hahahahahahahaha OMG so many things come to mind... can't even mention them here lol

Reactions: Greymacuser

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA
Tim Cook may not drive innovation the way Steve Jobs did, but it's genuinely surprising the amount some people on this site vilify him. As a company, Apple has continued to be among the most valuable in the world, and their products are insanely popular.

I'm a computer nerd, first and foremost, and I'd love to see more interesting and rapid advancement across the Mac lines. But credit where credit is due: Apple is thriving and their products continue to be coveted and considered best-in-class.

Not unimportant are Apple's philanthropic and green initiatives, largely expanded under Tim's watch. Is he the primary driving force behind those programs or the moves to minimize Apple products' environmental footprints? Hell if I know. But at least his regime supports them. Sustainability, increased donations to the arts and education, and LGBTQ support are all good things that were much more limited prior to Tim.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I really do believe some MacRumors members doesn’t have a sense of what ‘innovation’ is and they take this term severely out of context. I think two of the biggest products that have been released under Cook was the Apple Watch and AirPods, if that’s not Innovation, then what is? The Apple Watch is leading the way in Health features and the AirPods are probably the most popular accessory Apple has ever created in their line up.

Agreed. Macrumors is becoming overly infested with anti-Apple Tim Cook haters who think it is cool to spend their limited time on this planet bashing everything Apple and everything Tim Cook. As already pointed out on this very thread, many people don't even have an accurate understanding of what has happened (Tim Cook being assigned to where he is by Steve Jobs himself).

Oh man, these comments are going to be good. Lol.

I didn't believe it till I took the time (wasted) to read. Why is it so popular to hate? I remember growing up and everyone hated Microsoft back in the day. I started purchasing Apple products in 2012 and find it a great company with great products, and that continues to this day today.

I don't understand the need to hate on something. I couldn't imagine wasting my day (or days) hating on something. If I didn't like it, I would move off to something I do like. Apple must be hellishly popular for people to waste their limited time on this planet hating on it every day here on Macrumors.

I've read the Johnny Ives book. It wasn't an easy read but it was interesting and gave me more insight (as someone who joined Apple's product line in 2012) than I had before. I am planning on reading the Tim Cook book as well, once the prices go down.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
If you really believed Tim Cook was a genius, wouldn't you wait until he retires to release a biography about him?

Releasing it now just seems like you're trying to get it out there before too many people see the writing on the wall and realize Cook isn't at all worth reading about (unless you want to see how to coast on your predecessor's success until it runs out.)

I suspect the book was released now because Cook has had an outstanding run, along with Apple, over the years he's been there. And, there's a market for the book, Cook being head of one of the largest and most successful tech companies in the world. Nothing wrong with writing a book about that as there's a lot of interest in Apple and its CEO.

It's what authors do...and that's write books. And hopefully make a little money in the process.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Airpods haven't really set the world on fire have they? At least I hope not, Apple HAS been having quality control issues lately.

On fire? The first GEN AirPods (launched in December 2016) were back ordered for almost eight months before anyone could actually get a pair of them. And the Apple Watch first GEN when it launched in April 2015, was also back ordered for six months for some models, What product do you consider by ‘setting the world on fire’?

And as for your second comment, why would you mention anything with quality control with the AirPods, there have been zero issues with the AirPods quality control.

And the Apple Watch is cool, but nothing compared to the iPad, the iPhone, the iMac.

Ok? So you’re comparing the Apple Watch, which is an accessory to the iPhone to a core product like the iPhone or iMac? Those are standalone products. As I mentioned, two of the most popular accessories released under Cook have been the Apple Watch, and the AirPods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.