Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
If you "don't need it" or "don't want it", why do you think you should tell everyone?

Its an attempt to keep folks from drinking the Kool-aid. What is the compelling reason for buying this Apple-TV..Is it any more compelling then say the new rechargeable magic mouse?

ulyssesric

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2006
I'm now using a Mac mini as set top box. But I'd really want that fancy remote controller. Hope that we will see support for the new remote in BetterTouchTool or Remote Buddy soon.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
Tim - We save resources by eliminating extra connectors from every unit we make - millions of connectors, gold-plated contacts, etc. While the repair depot may swap-out an entire logic board for the sake of a fast turnaround, that logic board will be repaired... When and if we bin a board or component, it goes into recycling, not the landfill.
News - Still, soldered components greatly reduce the possibility of do-it-yourself repairs...
Tim - Our studies show a small minority did their own repairs when these components were socketed, while socketed and conectorized components have a higher failure rate. What price should the masses pay for the sake of the DIYers? I haven't had to carry an iMac to the Genius Bar myself, but I can't imagine it's a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Those connectors on the whole are used across the industry. I’m willing to bet that a few connectors has a smaller enviromental impact than binned/recycled logic boards. My company bins boards all the time and it’s not for the reasons you cited for virtual Tim above.
For a company, it’s because it’s quicker, cheaper and a lot easier to replace rather than repair.
For a customer, it’s because you get speed and the piece of mind that a new one has fixed your problem, (when sometimes is hasn’t).
Do the vast majority of Apple repairs on older equipment actually go back to Apple?

Press him on these, if you don’t like the answer fine, you have an amicable disagreement but at least he’s addressed it. Also higher failure rate doesn’t mean high failure rate.

Last edited by a moderator:

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Does anyone know if developers are submitting Apple TV apps yet?

We can submit apps, but no one can tell you what's available on the store because not even developers have seen the Apple tv app store! I would hope there is a decent selection!

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I don't see it yet. Maybe they hope developers will come up with something Apple itself hasn't seen yet.

My Apple TV is one of those things I just don't see needing to ever upgrade, unless I were to buy a 4K TV many years down the line. By then there should be a number of 4K boxes. But if my Apple TV suddenly broke, I have probably 4-5 other ways to get Netflix onto my TV without buying another device. I just don't see the point right now. Apps like "Gilt" and casual games aren't enough.

I think the console industry is quite interesting. It seems like the last industry that can get people to actually pay for software. I mean the App Stores sell software, but not at the prices console software goes for. I find what's going on there more interesting.

appledefenceforce

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2015
Its an attempt to keep folks from drinking the Kool-aid. What is the compelling reason for buying this Apple-TV..Is it any more compelling then say the new rechargeable magic mouse?

And how people decide to spend their money upset you because? Applying your argument no-one would buy iOS devices because on paper they always have worse specs and fewer features than Android. But of course reality is showing that iOS devices are selling more than any Android models out there. It's not just about a check list of what the device can do; some people value HOW the device do what it can.

Again I'm sure no-one would care if you spend your money on buying a cheaper device with more features on the box; and no-one would go to your selected brand's forum to declare how they would not spend their money on said product either. But I'm sure you'd understand it.

RobQuads

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2010
To me the key to the new model working is the apps. As a basic media player I don't think it justifies the price BUT as soon the apps start coming in I can see it gaining in value quickly

Reactions: orbital~debris

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
Will take a while for good apps to arrive in the app store....
But since it's not really expensive for an apple product, i will probably buy it out of boredom.

and i have been asking for an app store on aTV for years..

Reactions: orbital~debris

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
excited for the app store

not very excited for the required yearly upgrade cycle and starting with an A8. Theoretically, appleTV should be the most power hungry out of all apple devices, but is still weaker than an iphone 6s

Augeas

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2006
I'm in but cautiously optimistic as to whether it can replace my current HTPC (Intel NUC running Plex HT) .. mostly due to audio support, or lack thereof. Wonder if it can pass through DTS/DTSHD/TrueHD to a receiver via Plex app - guess there's only one way to find out!

I gave up HTPC formats long ago and transformed all my existing digital movies to Apple format and just started buying BluRay with digital copy or directly from Apple Store long ago. The digital format downside so far is a lack of BluRay sound formats (I think Video is decent), limited to DD 5.1, so I always buy blockbusters on BluRay verses digital purchase. The upside is an extremely simple interface, always working with no artifacts over wireless internet connection, easy purchase and no more ripping or indexing my 400 DVD player... I transitioned my collection circa AppleTV 1 and imagine that HTPC has gotten much better by now, but still think that the always working, silent, tiny footprint, dead simple simplicity is still not there like it is for AppleTV.

The inclusion of DD7.1 in the new AppleTV is promising, but doubt that AppleTV will ever embrace uncompress audio included on a BluRay version of a movie, I will always buy big blockbusters on BluRay with digital copies available for the spur of the moment movie watching experience with AppleTV (no need to get off the couch, find the movie disc I want to watch and load it in the BluRay player). Everything else I just buy on iTunes or watch on Hulu or Netflix. I now have a fairly large digital collection (about 150+) and one of the annoying downsides to AppleTV-3 is that there is now a delay before my list of movies are displayed and selectable.

PBRsg

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2014
This is a long over due upgrade. I know many people are disappointed with the ATV4 not having 4K, but I am just happy with the app store.

I have each of the older ATVs and a few of the ATV3s. My family loves them and the ATV is the most used electronic in my home by far. So, having an Appstore will probably make us love them more.

I wished it had 4K (even though I do not have a 4K TV), but I find it surprising that so many people were surprised that the ATV4 does not have 4K.

Netflix HD 4k requires an Internet connection with consistent speeds of at least 25 Mbps. Even in developed countries a lot of people still do not have that.

Reactions: Steve J0bs

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I just don't get it
I watch Netflix and rent iTunes movies and use AirPlay and iCloud music library for music
Why would I need or even just 'want' to upgrade to this?
Especially since the old perfectly capable model is now only just $69

I never get this way of questioning new products. Should new products not exist on this planet because you as a person do not see a need for it? Alternatively, does every Apple product NEED to adhere to your personal requirements and do you NEED to buy each and every Apple product?

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
To me the key to the new model working is the apps. As a basic media player I don't think it justifies the price BUT as soon the apps start coming in I can see it gaining in value quickly

Agreed. Siri is cool, but not a reason to upgrade from the ATV3 in my opinion. And I think Apple more or less blew it with "casual gaming." I had higher hopes for the gaming capabilities, but so far they look rather weak, especially if the two controller limit is true. Which leaves apps.

Will something truly compelling emerge? Maybe. But I'll wait and see. All of the major online video content providers (except Amazon) are already on Apple TV. If apps leads to networks and studios and independents creating apps that let me subscribe to or rent content, then I'm interested. But my guess is we'll get Plex and VLC and a bunch of apps for shopping, interactive storybooks, weather and webcam apps, etc.

Overall it seems a solid, if uninspired, upgrade. Apple hasn't felt particularly inspired lately in general, so I'm not surprised they played it safe. Despite the famous "cracked it" Jobs quote, I don't think Apple really has any grand plans or vision for television.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.