Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Well, having never celebrated Christmas, his analogy is kinda lost on me. No matter though as the Apple Car is one Apple product concept that completely bores me. There are already so many great car options Apple isn't filling a void that it has with past products.

Reactions: PizzaBoxStyle

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
so...nothing good anytime soon for any Apple products.

maybe better to have said Hanukkah (pardon spelling if I got it wrong) for a while of smaller, yet awesome products but the big drop is coming and like a New Years.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Christmas Eve? More like sitting by the door waiting for Pops to come back from the corner store to "grab a pack of smokes", two years later.

Waiting for Skylake (MBP)
It also means they're drunk off their faces building this thing. So, real life testing covered.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Kinda like when the rumors of them producing their own TV's, I don't really see why they would want to get into that market. I think they are definitely looking at it, but in the end I think it will be more likely they will just license some technology rather than product a true "Apple Car".

Reactions: ohio.emt

Admiral911

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2016
[URL='https://www.macrumors.com/2016/02/26/tim-cook-apple-car-christmas-eve-for-a-while/' said:
'It's Going to Be Christmas Eve for a While'[/URL]

Maybe we can get an AppleCare Plus Replacement Plan for our car....for only $14,900 we can get a replacement instead of buying a new one, when we wreck it...or shatter something on it.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Thank goodness.

One can only hope that this time allows Apple to come to their senses and abandon all hope of selling a car. It will only be an expensive boondoggle akin to the gold Apple Watch that should never have been made.

Remember Steve Jobs! Focus.

fonzy91

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007
2019 or 2020? Good. Please first focus on fixing the software and hardware on your computers, phones, and watches before venturing and expanding out more than you can afford to

When I read these kind of comments I feel like people believe there's 100 people at Apple. They all work in a room together one project at the time, if they are working on the iPhone 7 they can't work on OS X, and they have already enough products, can't work on a car. LOL I'm pretty sure if there's a Car division at Apple, and they're working on it, people working on the watch, iPhone, and Mac knows as much as we do about it.

Like in any major company, I think there's only few major key people that oversee multiple projects, just to make sure everything blends in. Surely they're not stopping the Mac or iOS people to tell them: "come over here and work on this Car software for a month instead of iOS 10."

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
no doubt it'll come in 3 flavours: 50mph - $20999 80mph - $25999 120mph - $30999

More like, the range will be either 16 miles, 64 miles or 128 miles.

If electric vehicles had a range of 500 miles, could be recharged in two minutes at all petrol stations, and had batteries that didn't deteriorate in performance for twenty years, I'd be all for them.

Last edited:

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Usually Christmas Eve feelings only have to last a couple of months, not years. Obviously Apple will be making significant updates to all its current form factor devices, which is a big handful to begin with. Apple TV is making more inroads to an integrated UI for multiple media sources and the recent FCC ruling seems to reinforce that in a brand agnostic way.

Here in LA we have a cable company who purchased exclusive rights to Dodgers games and is not sharing at all. So roughly 2/3 of the typical viewing audience is locked out since they do not even have access to that cable company at all to tether a game viewing option to. I suspect you are going to see a lot of device sharing to non-access users from access able users as well as forms of signal pirating. Can't they just sell an untethered signal for some premium price? I tell this story to say The vision of Apple TV has not arrived yet and we are still years away from that vision.

Reactions: rbrian

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
They're moving much too slow with this.

I already have the money set aside to put down the deposit on the Tesla Model 3. Just $1K on March 31st - 100% refundable. If I change my mind anytime between then and when they start producing my specific car, I can just ask for my money back. Heard from people who asked for their deposit back on the Model X - they got it back within 48 hours.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
For many, isn't Christmas Day filled with disappointment over what they got and the fact that nothing they got came with batteries and/or needs to be put together?

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
MacRumors needs a sister site called "Apple News" where we can go if we only want major concrete important Apple news and none of the fluff/rumor/crap like this stuff.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
That's a perfect movie title starring Bill Murray.
Better he can really continue the decades long feud with Chevy Chase and do a bunch of Griswald jokes.
[doublepost=1456516855][/doublepost]
This car will be priced much higher then the most expensive Tesla. It will require yearly upgrades to it's OS, and after 3 years, you will need to upgrade your vehicle, because you can't upgrade the OS anymore. Oh, it will have 4 wheels, headlights and tail lights. Ok, I am done having fun with this. I will be very interested in what Apple has to offer. I do, believe like I said above, that the price of this car will fall in line with all their other products, a bit on the high end.

Apple Car Edition

If you have to ask the price, you cannot afford it.

Reactions: Moorepheus

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
ooooh Tim Cook says every day is going to be like xmas eve. If that were true I'd be getting into my Apple car in 6 hrs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.