Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook this week spent time in Japan, and during his trip, he sat down with Japanese news site Nikkei to cover familiar topics like privacy, manufacturing, and health.

Cook visited Apple supplier Seiko Advance in Tokyo, met with developers in the area, visited a primary school, and stopped by several local Apple Stores.

timcooktokyonikkei-800x450.jpg

Cook said that Apple does manufacturing by looking at "all countries" and seeing what skills are available. "We pick the best," Cook said. He pointed out that Apple has created well over two million jobs in the United States, and says there's "enormous manufacturing" happening there. "Just not the assembly of the final product," he said.

On the topic of Apple's ability to innovate, Cook said that the smartphone market has not yet reached its peak and there are still advancements to come.
"I know of no one who would call a 12-year-old mature," he said. "Sometimes these steps are humongous, sometimes these steps are smaller. But the key is to always make things better, not just change for change's sake."

"The ethos and the DNA of the company have never been stronger on the innovation front. The product line has never been stronger."
Cook went on to say that he believes Apple's greatest contribution to humankind will be in health, something that he's said several times before. He specifically pointed out the ECG function of the Apple Watch as evidence of Apple's progress.

Cook also spoke about competition and monopolies, claiming that Apple has "more competitors than any company on earth." Apple is facing regulatory investigations in the United States and Europe over its App Store policies amid accusations that Apple has an unfair advantage over third-party app developers.
"A monopoly by itself isn't bad if it's not abused," Cook said, while insisting that Apple does not have a monopoly in any sector. "The question for those companies is, do they abuse it? And that is for regulators to decide, not for me to decide."
Cook ended the interview with a spiel on privacy, a topic that he often covers. He reiterated once again that customers are not Apple's product, and that Apple does not believe in trafficking data.

Tim Cook's full interview with Nikkei can be read over on the Nikkei website.

Article Link: Tim Cook: The Ethos and DNA of Apple 'Have Never Been Stronger on the Innovation Front'

Last edited:

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Oh Tim, I love you man and I love Apple, but I'll have to disagree with you that innovation "has never been stronger"... You guys spent 2019 fixing your own mistakes and just giving your customers the simple requests they've had for years now. It's appreciated sure, but hardly innovative.

Nah man. iPhone 11, AirPods Pro, iPad Pro 2018... Apple are making some amazing stuff. They may not have foldable displays or 30 day battery life, but Apple’s lineup is great.

2020 is going to be a stellar year for Apple. I think they have a lot of stuff to come.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Tim Cook really loves the attention he gets from the media. I love to see an interview with him about products, state of iOS 13, Mac Pro performance, etc.
As if the media would ever cover the gripes over an operating system. What you’re referring to is a livestream with a bunch of computer nerds yelling at him for the poor performance of iOS 13. That’s the only way it would get covered.

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
He’s right. Apple made the best iPhones ever in iPhone 11, iPad has returned to growth, wearables are exploding, and services get better all the time.

Tim Cook has done an amazing job. He’s also handled the President better than I think any CEO in America.

lol. How did he “handle” the President?

Article forgot to mention Apple’s true innovations: the display stand and Mac Pro wheels.

Can’t innovate anymore, my ass!

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
He’s right. Apple made the best iPhones ever in iPhone 11, iPad has returned to growth, wearables are exploding, and services get better all the time.

Tim Cook has done an amazing job. He’s also handled the President better than I think any CEO in America.

Let's not forget iPadOS has truly unlocked the potential of iPad Pro to be the world's only SuperComputer for the masses.

HomePod with its awarding-winning sound profile.

Apple TV and Apple TV+ revolutionising home entertainment.

Tim Cook gets it. Steve Jobs could not have made a better decision in choosing him to be his successor.

PC_tech

Suspended
Jan 17, 2019
Educate yourself if you think Apple hasn’t handled the President brilliantly. I’m not dignifying it with a long explanation. He’s been better than superb.
You’re always asking for proof and you can’t provide any when asked..... How anyone takes you seriously is beyond me.
[automerge]1576020545[/automerge]
Let's not forget iPadOS has truly unlocked the potential of iPad Pro to be the world's only SuperComputer for the masses.

HomePod with its awarding-winning sound profile.

Apple TV and Apple TV+ revolutionising home entertainment.

Tim Cook gets it. Steve Jobs could not have made a better decision in choosing him to be his successor.
Wishful thinking

Last edited:

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
You’re always asking for proof and you can’t provide any when asked..... How anyone takes you seriously is beyond me.
[automerge]1576020545[/automerge]

Wishful thinking
Seriously? Google it. It’s not my job to bring you along. I don’t need to cite every source for my posts, but the difference with me is I actually could.

I don’t constantly complain and post anecdotal evidence to back my claims.

• Haha
Reactions: DaPhox

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I’m really looking forward to Apple’s 2020 Q1 report at the end of January.

Mr. Cook has been killing it on many product fronts, advocacy, and, especially dealing with trump to Apple’s favor.

Last edited:

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location

Is that right?
Best phone in iPhone 11? I beg to differ.
Sounds like someone from Apple is posting here.

brinary001

Suspended
Sep 4, 2012
Midwest, USA
Nah man. iPhone 11, AirPods Pro, iPad Pro 2018... Apple are making some amazing stuff. They may not have foldable displays or 30 day battery life, but Apple’s lineup is great.

2020 is going to be a stellar year for Apple. I think they have a lot of stuff to come.
And those are great products, but even still a lot of that was just catch up work. Apple didn't really have a competitive camera until the 11 series with their Night Mode feature, for example.

However, I agree wholeheartedly with your last thing about 2020 being a good year for them. I'm very excited about 2020/21!

Reactions: newyorksole

Saludos

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
It’s the second time in 4 months apple uses the word “innovation”. They have to remember for themself, probably. Please don’t speak about innovation, do it! Sarcasm a part, dear mr Cook. The first word today’s Apple evokes to me is “buggy”. Not innovation. Tremendously buggy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.