Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
"Apple's eventual goal is to be able reduce the price of the 2018 Retina MacBook Air". Hmm, I know, maybe they could reduce the price of the 2018 Retina MacBook Air. Problem solved. I am available if you need more bright ideas Apple.

There's just no way they could take a temporary margin hit on that...
It would really eat into the hundreds of billions in the bank..

needsomecoffee

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2008
Seattle
Sergey/Larry/Google (criticized for over-investing in moonshots):
Waymo - transforming transportation
Malta - transforming electrical storage
Dandelion - transforming how we heat our homes
Translate - transforming travel
Assistant - transformed human/computer interaction

Tim/Apple:
Airpods (profitable out the gate as ear bud replacement)
Homepod (profitable out the gate as Alexa replacement)
Future Macbook Air price reduction (once profit can be sustained)
Watch transforming personal health tracking
<Siri> badly lost first-mover advantage

Criticize Google all you want, but your life will likely be different because of them (climate change). Pretty sure crediting the watch to Tim is being kind - fantastic engineering, but nothing novel.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
Homepod (profitable out the gate as Alexa replacement)

HomePod as an Alexa replacement?
hmmm
[doublepost=1551477140][/doublepost]
Watch transforming personal health tracking

This is true though..
And with "fall detection" it can notify medical personnel when a customer has been on the Apple website, seen the latest pricing, and fallen over in shock.

Reactions: 5105973

Gary03mw

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2013
Macrumors users really have become a cesspool of haters. The comments here are overwhelmingly negative. If you hate the brand so much why buy the products? Read about them all the time? Comment on an Apple fan site about them? Just go on about your life doing anything else instead.

The reality is that most of you have no idea what innovation is. You conflate a paradigm shift with innovation. A paradigm shift is what we saw with the iPhone launch. The software, the hardware, the networks, etc all getting to a point where a product like the iPhone was possible. We might be seeing something similar with EVs today but that is still up in the air.

Of course we all love to see breakthrough products. As Steve said when he announced the iPhone

"This is a day I’ve been looking forward to for two-and-a-half years. Every once in a while, a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything. And Apple has been — well, first of all, one’s very fortunate if you get to work on just one of these in your career. Apple’s been very fortunate. It’s been able to introduce a few of these into the world. 1984, introduced the Macintosh. It didn’t just change Apple. It changed the whole computer industry.In 2001, we introduced the first iPod, and it didn’t just change the way we all listen to music, it changed the entire music industry.Well, today, we’re introducing three revolutionary products of this class. The first one is a widescreen iPod with touch controls. The second is a revolutionary mobile phone. And the third is a breakthrough Internet communications device.This is a day I’ve been looking forward to for two-and-a-half years. Every once in a while, a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything. And Apple has been — well, first of all, one’s very fortunate if you get to work on just one of these in your career. Apple’s been very fortunate. It’s been able to introduce a few of these into the world. 1984, introduced the Macintosh. It didn’t just change Apple. It changed the whole computer industry.In 2001, we introduced the first iPod, and it didn’t just change the way we all listen to music, it changed the entire music industry.Well, today, we’re introducing three revolutionary products of this class. The first one is a widescreen iPod with touch controls. The second is a revolutionary mobile phone. And the third is a breakthrough Internet communications device."

My point is that these paradigm shifts don't come along every year. They don't even come along every 2 or 3 years. What we are seeing with Apple currently is not a paradigm shift, but it is innovation. Secure Enclave was innovative, Face ID is innovative. ECG tests are innovative. Airpods are innovative. Swift was innovative. If you aren't too busy complaining about everything you can easily see the methodical progress that Apple makes. And I'm not oblivious to Apples short comings. Siri for example. But some of you really can't see the forest for the trees and are overly negative about anything and everything.

Last edited:

wol

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2005
At last - the PowerBook G5 !!! :cool:

powerbook-5300c.jpg

Apple - what took you so long?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Macrumors users really have become a cesspool of haters. The comments here are overwhelmingly negative. If you hate the brand so much why buy the products? Read about them all the time? Comment on an Apple fan site about them? Just go on about your life doing anything else instead.

The reality is that most of you have no idea what innovation is. You conflate a paradigm shift with innovation. A paradigm shift is what we saw with the iPhone launch. The software, the hardware, the networks, etc all getting to a point where a product like the iPhone was possible. We might be seeing something similar with EVs today but that is still up in the air.

Of course we all love to see breakthrough products. As Steve said when he announced the iPhone

"This is a day I’ve been looking forward to for two-and-a-half years. Every once in a while, a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything. And Apple has been — well, first of all, one’s very fortunate if you get to work on just one of these in your career. Apple’s been very fortunate. It’s been able to introduce a few of these into the world. 1984, introduced the Macintosh. It didn’t just change Apple. It changed the whole computer industry.In 2001, we introduced the first iPod, and it didn’t just change the way we all listen to music, it changed the entire music industry.Well, today, we’re introducing three revolutionary products of this class. The first one is a widescreen iPod with touch controls. The second is a revolutionary mobile phone. And the third is a breakthrough Internet communications device.This is a day I’ve been looking forward to for two-and-a-half years. Every once in a while, a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything. And Apple has been — well, first of all, one’s very fortunate if you get to work on just one of these in your career. Apple’s been very fortunate. It’s been able to introduce a few of these into the world. 1984, introduced the Macintosh. It didn’t just change Apple. It changed the whole computer industry.In 2001, we introduced the first iPod, and it didn’t just change the way we all listen to music, it changed the entire music industry.Well, today, we’re introducing three revolutionary products of this class. The first one is a widescreen iPod with touch controls. The second is a revolutionary mobile phone. And the third is a breakthrough Internet communications device."

My point is that these paradigm shifts don't come along every year. They don't even come along every 2 or 3 years. What we are seeing with Apple currently is not a paradigm shift, but it is innovation. Secure Enclave was innovative, Face ID is innovative. ECG tests are innovative. If you aren't too busy complaining about everything you can easily see the methodical progress that Apple makes. And I'm not oblivious to Apples short comings. Siri for example. But some of you really can't see the forest for the trees and are overly negative about anything and everything.

You have to keep in mind, even with the majority of comments in this very own thread, none of them are a factual reality of Apple outside this tech site. They’re literally frivolous comments that don’t understand what it’s like to be a CEO of $1 trillion company, they don’t know what Cooks responsibilities are, his daily roles and expectations of what it is to perform _his_ tasks.

These are merely juvenile comments from others that seriously don’t have an understanding what it is to be in this position, Meeting with a myriad of suppliers, configuring Apple every single day must be a chore alone to know the company standing at all times. That’s why MacRumors is not anything of a sort when it comes to the Snark against Cook, it’s just juvenile gibberish, and for those who truly do appreciate Cook beyond their own own understanding, can see much past all this type of nonsense exhibited by others.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
If you hate the brand so much why buy the products?

Already own a ton of them and very locked into the ecosystem

@Gary03mw

Most of us are pissed off because of how flaky many of the products have become.
The prices keep going up while reliability continues to suffer and issues (big ones) remain unaddressed.

There was a time when we were paying a premium for Apple for much more thought going into products and design decisions and build quality being top notch.

Maybe you've had a better experience - I hope so - But for those getting bitten by this stuff in the last couple years, this is the reaction one would expect.

Last edited:

Gary03mw

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2013
You have to keep in mind, even with the majority of comments in this very own thread, none of them are a factual reality of Apple outside this tech site. They’re literally frivolous comments that don’t understand what it’s like to be a CEO of $1 trillion company, they don’t know what Cooks responsibilities are, his daily roles and expectations of what it is to perform _his_ tasks.

These are merely juvenile comments from others that seriously don’t have an understanding what it is to be in this position, Meeting with a myriad of suppliers, configuring Apple every single day must be a chore alone to know the company standing at all times. That’s why MacRumors is not anything of a sort when it comes to the Snark against Cook, it’s just juvenile gibberish, and for those who truly do appreciate Cook beyond their own own understanding, can see much past all this type of nonsense exhibited by others.

I understand, and I couldn't agree more.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
I feel the blow... to the stomach at times.

I've heard this line before from them, so I'll wait to be impressed at this point. The Mac mini shows signs of life, along with the MacBook Air, but the iPhone... I'm happy with my 8 Plus. They seem content with everyone else to coast, starve consumers to make a foldable phone seem impressive. Didn't anyone own an LG Envy? Phablet? Don't get me wrong, the S10 foldable looks cool, but it's not for me.

Last time my mind was blown: the Nintendo Switch.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
He’s so detached from reality it’s painful...

So is the cynicism on this website.

Tim calling for government intervention is akin to asking the fox to keep watch over the chickens, so that nothing bad happens to them.

Absolutely agree. Don’t need government intervention. If you’re too much of a sheep or too lazy to see what big tech is up to, that’s your own problem. Don’t give an already inept government additional responsibility.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

niun

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2015
I might be going into the realms of pure fantasy here.
I predict an iPhone (Rose Gold), iPad (Rose Gold) and range of very interesting watch bands (Pink).

Of course. He could set the tech world trembling by releasing some Rose Gold EarPods.

Reactions: Feyl

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
The people doing the complaining aren’t Apple haters, they are Apple lovers frustrated Apple doesn’t pay any attention to them anymore. They are battered wives stuck in an abusive relationship. They still love Apple, and don’t really want to leave.

All they really want is an updated mac range whenever intel puts out a new chip, priced a little more sensibly.

JamieLannister

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2016
As outlined by Bloomberg, Tim Crook said that Apple is "rolling the dice" on some future products that will "blow you away."

More like: "...blow your WALLET away"

I like how he says "roll the dice", etc. Which basically means he'll charge even more for an iphone in 2019. Shxt, probably would take his balls and roll them and price everything with a $180 markup just because "it's the new norm for buying apple crap"

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
He should learn to keep quiet.

That’s not possible, at least for a CEO in his position. Cook needs to keep investors informed, not only that, but To assure them of the companies current standing, where Apple is ultimately leading to, and of course product and services. So he very much needs to keep in touch with his investors, as that’s a crucial responsibility.

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Maybe the SEC should look into this. This stuff isn't any better than what Elon does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.