Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple CEO Tim Cook conducted a private meeting with United States President Donald Trump on Wednesday, April 25, where the discussion was said to be focused "on trade." Following a recent interview with Bloomberg Television, Cook divulged more details about the meeting, mentioning that the two men discussed topics like recently imposed tariffs on China and the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

In late March, Trump launched 25 percent tariffs on around $50 billion worth of Chinese products, citing a "tremendous intellectual property theft problem" in previous U.S./China trade relations. In the new interview, which happened on "The David Rubenstein Show: Peer-to-Peer Conversations," Cook admitted previous trade policies had their drawbacks, but still held that Trump's tariffs are "not the right approach" in this situation.

19385-19730-czquuifvqaew02p-l.jpg
Apple CEO Tim Cook at the Executive Tech Summit at Trump Tower in December 2016

"It's true, undoubtedly true, that not everyone has been advantaged from that -- in either country -- and we've got to work on that," Cook said. "But I felt that tariffs were not the right approach there, and I showed him some more analytical kinds of things to demonstrate why."
The two also discussed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which protects young immigrants who were brought into the U.S. as children from deportation. The Trump administration's decision to end DACA was blocked in January by a federal judge in San Francisco, and today representatives of the administration will attempt to convince the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that it was justified in the move to end the program.

In the days after Trump signed an executive order against DACA early last year, Apple and other major tech companies penned an open letter to Trump urging the importance of the program. Cook discussed his support of DACA throughout the year, and told Rubenstein in this week's interview, "We're only one ruling away from a catastrophic case there."

Other parts of the interview touch upon the new corporate tax policy in the U.S., Apple's growing services segment, Apple Music's new 50 million paid and free trial user milestone, and the company's behind-the-scenes work on original TV content. Head over to Bloomberg to read more details from the interview.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Told Donald Trump China Tariffs Are 'Not the Right Approach' in Recent Meeting

Reactions: jagooch

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
I'm sure dressing in drag and dancing the hula isn't the right approach, either.

Then again, it worked for these guys...

How about, instead of saying what isn't the right approach, you say, in your opinion, what is, not only for Apple, but for the USA.

Last edited:
Reactions: jagooch and brendu

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
To be honest, nobody really knows what is good and bad in terms of international politics.

It also varies depending on the product / industry.

Economics can be considered just another form of warfare between countries (even allies). In the end, tariffs are destructive to both sides but I feel are sometimes needed to modify behavior between trading partners when negotiation fails.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2013
Rent-free in your head
There's a new thing called experts .
There's a thing called political bias.
[doublepost=1526388286][/doublepost]
This comes up all the time, MacRumors was started just for rumours but has now evolved into so much more. I for one welcome tech related articles.
Yes I do too, but it doesn't mean it's a news website. Therefore a front page article is not the same as a front page article on an actual news website.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
The conversation took a turn when the President handed Tim Cook a thumb drive so he could review recent trade data. Cook fumbled about in his pockets but finally found the dongle. Plugging the thumb drive into his iPad Pro he got the message "the attached device requires too much power". Trump just looked at him and said "sad".

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
It also varies depending on the product / industry.

Economics can be considered just another form of warfare between countries (even allies). In the end, tariffs are destructive to both sides but I feel are sometimes needed to modify behavior between trading partners when negotiation fails.
They're even more destructive when one side levies them, and the other side does not, as someday the bill comes due, and when someone like President Trump comes to collect, other countries aren't ready.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Im glad that Tim cares about people more than just making money. (at least with immigration) I don't get why people are so angry with him.
For me, it was that this story pointed to him offering problems with a solution, and not a solution itself.

This has all of the joy of telling a date that we're going to "Frank's Chop House," and the response is, "I don't like that place," and no alternative.

By the way, I went out with her exactly once, and tell my daughters, "if you don't like where your date is taking you, give him 2 other options in the same price range."

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Hmmm...Macrumors isn't a news website....MacRUMORS....

It's right under the name of the site:

"News".

https://cdn.macrumors.com/images-new/logo.png

==========

It's scary and hilarious, mostly scary, the stuff this guy has come out with, including on China.

@ foxnews
.@ realDonaldTrump on China: “They take our jobs. They take our money. And we owe them $1.4 trillion. How do you figure that?” #Hannity
3:06 AM - 13 Aug 2015

@ seanhannity
.@ realDonaldTrump: “I’m going to bring jobs back from Mexico, from China and all these places.” #Hannity
3:10 AM - 1 Jun 2016

@ RealDonaldTrump
President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast. Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!
4:01 PM - 13 May 2018

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.