Tim Cook Told Donald Trump China Tariffs Are 'Not the Right Approach' in Recent Meeting

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, May 15, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple CEO Tim Cook conducted a private meeting with United States President Donald Trump on Wednesday, April 25, where the discussion was said to be focused "on trade." Following a recent interview with Bloomberg Television, Cook divulged more details about the meeting, mentioning that the two men discussed topics like recently imposed tariffs on China and the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

In late March, Trump launched 25 percent tariffs on around $50 billion worth of Chinese products, citing a "tremendous intellectual property theft problem" in previous U.S./China trade relations. In the new interview, which happened on "The David Rubenstein Show: Peer-to-Peer Conversations," Cook admitted previous trade policies had their drawbacks, but still held that Trump's tariffs are "not the right approach" in this situation.

[​IMG]
    Apple CEO Tim Cook at the Executive Tech Summit at Trump Tower in December 2016

The two also discussed the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, which protects young immigrants who were brought into the U.S. as children from deportation. The Trump administration's decision to end DACA was blocked in January by a federal judge in San Francisco, and today representatives of the administration will attempt to convince the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that it was justified in the move to end the program.

In the days after Trump signed an executive order against DACA early last year, Apple and other major tech companies penned an open letter to Trump urging the importance of the program. Cook discussed his support of DACA throughout the year, and told Rubenstein in this week's interview, "We're only one ruling away from a catastrophic case there."

Other parts of the interview touch upon the new corporate tax policy in the U.S., Apple's growing services segment, Apple Music's new 50 million paid and free trial user milestone, and the company's behind-the-scenes work on original TV content. Head over to Bloomberg to read more details from the interview.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Tim Cook Told Donald Trump China Tariffs Are 'Not the Right Approach' in Recent Meeting

2. Glideslope macrumors 603

Glideslope

Sure he did. Prolly wrote it on a pad of paper and snuck it under the table. :apple:

3. RCS31 macrumors 6502

RCS31

Looking for a place of freedom and rationality
    To be honest, nobody really knows what is good and bad in terms of international politics.

4. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

China tariffs are not the right thing FOR APPLE, Mr. President.

There, Timmy, I fixed it for you.

5. apolloa macrumors G4

Tim Cook told Donald Trump something that entirely benefits Apple and its profits...

And this is front page news??

6. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

Doesn't matter. All that matters in the White House is that it can say the US waged a trade war against China, and then after a while when they inevitably end it, they can say they won that trade war. Consequences are somebody else's problem.

7. RCS31 macrumors 6502

RCS31

Hmmm...Macrumors isn't a news website....MacRUMORS....

8. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I am ok with trying different things. No foreign policy has to be permanent. Something fair for both sides should be the goal.

9. Princejb134 macrumors regular

yup pretty much
    is bad for profits for apple
    as much as i hate trump and politics it does make sense that china should pay their fair share of taxes. They been getting a free pass for to long

10. rodpascoe macrumors regular

rodpascoe

This comes up all the time, MacRumors was started just for rumours but has now evolved into so much more. I for one welcome tech related articles.

11. JeffyTheQuik, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018

JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

I'm sure dressing in drag and dancing the hula isn't the right approach, either.

Then again, it worked for these guys...

How about, instead of saying what isn't the right approach, you say, in your opinion, what is, not only for Apple, but for the USA.

12. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It also varies depending on the product / industry.

Economics can be considered just another form of warfare between countries (even allies). In the end, tariffs are destructive to both sides but I feel are sometimes needed to modify behavior between trading partners when negotiation fails.

13. Amacfa macrumors 65816

Amacfa

I would much rather Tim Cook or Elon Musk be giving advice to Trump than ANY OTHER CEO

14. barmann macrumors 6502a

There's a new thing called experts .

15. RCS31 macrumors 6502

RCS31

There's a thing called political bias.
    --- Post Merged, May 15, 2018 ---
    Yes I do too, but it doesn't mean it's a news website. Therefore a front page article is not the same as a front page article on an actual news website.

16. T Coma macrumors 6502

T Coma

Indeed, Tim. A better way to deal with China's tech theft, low wages and Communist human rights standards is to continue to knuckle under; of course, that's what gets you paid so well.

So hypocritical.

17. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Timmy, why don't you work on fixing your ****** keyboards and leave the politics to the big boys?

18. RogerWilco macrumors 6502a

RogerWilco

The conversation took a turn when the President handed Tim Cook a thumb drive so he could review recent trade data. Cook fumbled about in his pockets but finally found the dongle. Plugging the thumb drive into his iPad Pro he got the message "the attached device requires too much power". Trump just looked at him and said "sad".

19. apolloa macrumors G4

And yet it is nothing but a ‘news’ story and on this websites from page....

20. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

They're even more destructive when one side levies them, and the other side does not, as someday the bill comes due, and when someone like President Trump comes to collect, other countries aren't ready.

21. alex00100 macrumors 6502

Im glad that Tim cares about people more than just making money. (at least with immigration) I don't get why people are so angry with him.

22. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

Hmmm...

Yet, only 4/5 dentists (experts) agree that Trident gum is good for your teeth. What does that fifth dentist think?

23. RogerWilco macrumors 6502a

RogerWilco

Take a look at the Buyer's Guide link at the top of this page -- it offers some insight into why many loyal Apple customers might be less than pleased with the current CEO and his lackeys.

24. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

For me, it was that this story pointed to him offering problems with a solution, and not a solution itself.

This has all of the joy of telling a date that we're going to "Frank's Chop House," and the response is, "I don't like that place," and no alternative.

By the way, I went out with her exactly once, and tell my daughters, "if you don't like where your date is taking you, give him 2 other options in the same price range."

25. Keane16, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018

Keane16 macrumors 6502a

Keane16

It's right under the name of the site:

"News".

https://cdn.macrumors.com/images-new/logo.png

==========

It's scary and hilarious, mostly scary, the stuff this guy has come out with, including on China.

@ foxnews
    .@ realDonaldTrump on China: “They take our jobs. They take our money. And we owe them $1.4 trillion. How do you figure that?” #Hannity
    3:06 AM - 13 Aug 2015

@ seanhannity
    .@ realDonaldTrump: “I’m going to bring jobs back from Mexico, from China and all these places.” #Hannity
    3:10 AM - 1 Jun 2016

@ RealDonaldTrump
    President Xi of China, and I, are working together to give massive Chinese phone company, ZTE, a way to get back into business, fast. Too many jobs in China lost. Commerce Department has been instructed to get it done!
    4:01 PM - 13 May 2018