Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac_The_Ripper

Suspended
Sep 12, 2023
🇺🇸
Again, I appreciate the thought. It's a brand new technology and this is apparently how it works right now. It will likely greatly improve in the future just as Apple laptop battery power has greatly improved over time. If brand new tech must beat existing tech in every possible way, there is likely to be no more brand new tech. Sometimes it takes a step back in a key thing or two to take several steps forward.

Look at electric cars. Not many years ago, they had extremely limited range on a single charge. Had everyone judged & juried them on that then, there would be no improved electrics now. The majority then were clearly against spending MORE-TO-MUCH-MORE for a new car and always having to worry if they had enough charge to get to and from destinations. However, progress continues to be made and now comparably-priced electrics can do very well against gasoline-based equivalents. The range worry is fading fast.

I certainly wish that this device has 100 hours of battery life or maintained full charge by solar cells but it doesn't. That's a definite weakness in the overall proposition. On the other hand, here's a portable device that has no crease in the screen, no fragile roll, does not scale up in weight as you scale up the view screen(s) SIZE you want to watch, etc. Unfortunately, rumors say one battery pack yields only about 2 hours of life and 2 packs yield 4. I'll probably carry 2 or 3 battery packs just like I did with that first Powerbook G4. Later 2 hours will likely become 3 or 4 and 4 hours will likely become 6 or 8... just like we see with ever-improving range of electric cars or any of the battery-based tech from Apple.

If you are wearing an Apple Watch, I have a watch that has a 10-year battery and recharges itself when out in the sun. It's 2024 and I'm sure I'm part of a majority here who thinks a Watch should last far longer than a day or two without having to be re-charged... especially when a cheap Timex can go years on a single battery. And yet, look at the wrist. There it is. You've adapted to its power limitations vs. a whole world of alternative watch tech that offers far more life between charges/battery replacements. Why? Because you wanted the watch enough to accept its relative limitations. This may be the same for some people.

Else, no one worried about this limitation should buy this product. Nobody has to buy any product. If a product does things you want, buy. If it doesn't, don't buy. I detest the rumored 2 hour limitation myself but I am excited at the potential of having access to a very large screen when traveling without the weight and packaging of any form of a physical screen as large. If that means dealing with limited battery life, I'll deal with it. The pros outweigh the cons to me.
I think the price, the two hour battery life, the size of the battery, and the fact that you have to strap something to your head in order to use it will amount to low sales for the 1st gen AVP. If I am wrong, I will eat crow. Either way it is going to be fun to see how this plays out. I am sure I will buy one to try it out because that is what I do. However, I do not see myself keeping this device. Time will tell.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
However, countless videos are watched every day by ONE set of eyes... even in group settings. Watch a basketball game and pay attention when the camera pans through the crowd. LOTS of people will be at a LIVE sporting event but with eyes on their own phone. They are there with tends of thousands of other people but in their own little bubble checking something else on their own screen.
And this is the very sad state of affairs in 2023. No real time live interaction with fellow humans or barring that, no time living in ones own mind without the distraction of the "device". Users with a 15 second attention span. And a huge number of people applaud this and want more and more. Zombies and very happy to be one. Shudder.....

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
With the promised battery life you wouldn’t even be able to get through two full episodes on a single charge.
Especially since the newer episodes of that show are usually over an hour.
Instead of like 32 minutes as the first seasons episodes were
Uh, plugged in? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mac_The_Ripper

Suspended
Sep 12, 2023
🇺🇸
And this is the very sad state of affairs in 2023. No real time live interaction with fellow humans or barring that, no time living in ones own mind without the distraction of the "device". Users with a 15 second attention span. And a huge number of people applaud this and want more and more. Zombies and very happy to be one. Shudder.....
Exactly! The world is becoming more and more anti-social. It is extremely sad and devices like the AVP will only add to this. If anyone thinks the world is a better place for all this tech we have, I'll just point them to search for current suicide and drug addiction rates compared to years past (in the US anyway). The fact of the matter is, people who truly enjoy their lives don't typically commit suicide and don't get addicted to drugs to escape reality. 😞

Last edited:

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009
U’re right. Unfortunately he spend most time on managing biggest company ever in a messy way 😕

Messy way? Sure, their product lineup could be called messy and fragmented in some ways, but you do realize Apple's market cap is almost 3 trillion dollars right now?

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
I'm sorry to say that Apple Vision Pro is a disaster for humanity, especially in the long term, and it will definitely break down your psychological processes.

What's wrong with our natural eyes and nature environment?

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

I agree but this is what it is... and I don't see this new device making that any worse than it is- just another way for more of the same.

If we are very worried about that kind of thing, get rid of the phones. They are central to much of it. Vs. phones, relatively few will own some kind of VR headsets for the next decade.

However, as soon as one writes "get rid of the phones" just about all such passion against tech distraction/recluse recoils. Phones are the central hub of that problem but we seem to be wanting to put the blame on a device that no one has yet... like it is paying for some kind of societal/anti-social crime committed by the tech that already exists and we all would likely prioritize keeping above resolving this problem by getting rid of our phones.

VR tech did not drive the "sorry state of affairs." That's the tech we already have and select apps on that tech that we generally choose to use on that tech. Try to spread that gospel and get booed off the pulpit. But it is easy to make the congregation fear the thing not yet available like it is the cause of the "sorry state" before anyone even owns one.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Exactly! The world is becoming more and more anti-social. It is extremely sad and devices like the AVP will only add to this. If anyone thinks the world is a better place for all this tech we have, I'll just point them to search for current suicide and drug addiction rates compared to years past. 😞
...and the inability of many (especially youths) to create and maintain real in person relationships. Studies have shown that many TikToc users last no more than about 15 seconds before frantically scrolling to find new dopamine. The occupants of other planets looking down on earth are laughing themselves silly.

AAPLGeek

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2009

Post of the year right here.

It's already so dystopian watching every single human outside glued to their phone screen doom-scrolling their entire days away.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007

Apple CEO Tim Cook confirmed in an interview with CBS Sunday Morning's John Dickerson that the company's Vision Pro headset remains on schedule for release in early 2024, and revealed that he's already using it on a regular basis.

Tim Cook has been doing the same for his whole tenure and consequently, Apple has no new product of any significance to show since Jobs died. People like Jobs and Musk (perhaps even more so than Jobs) push humanity forward, while people like Cook take fat paychecks, virtue signal and watch syrupy shows on VR sets.

Reactions: CordovaLark

Mac_The_Ripper

Suspended
Sep 12, 2023
🇺🇸
I agree but this is what it is... and I don't see this new device making that any worse than it is- just another way for more of the same.

If we are very worried about that kind of thing, get rid of the phones. They are central to much of it. Vs. phones, relatively few will own some kind of VR headsets for the next decade.

However, as soon as one writes "get rid of the phones" just about all such passion against tech distraction/recluse recoils. Phones are the central hub of that problem but we seem to be wanting to put the blame on a device that no one has yet... like it is paying for some kind of societal/anti-social crime committed by the tech that already exists and we all would likely prioritize keeping above resolving this problem by getting rid of our phones.

VR tech did not drive the "sorry state of affairs." That's the tech we already have and select apps on that tech that we generally choose to use on that tech. Try to spread that gospel and get booed off the pulpit. But it is easy to make the congregation fear the thing not yet available like it is the cause of the "sorry state" before anyone even owns one.
With all do respect of course, saying "this is what it is" or "it is what it is" is a serious problem. Saying "it is what it is" to higher suicide and addiction rates, more and more people suffering from anxiety and depression, etc. is not something that one should respond to with "it is what it is". These problems need to be addressed ASAP.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Exactly! The world is becoming more and more anti-social. It is extremely sad and devices like the AVP will only add to this. If anyone thinks the world is a better place for all this tech we have, I'll just point them to search for current suicide and drug addiction rates compared to years past (in the US anyway). The fact of the matter is, people who truly enjoy their lives don't typically commit suicide and don't get addicted to drugs to escape reality. 😞

I'm doubting that phones or goggles are the root cause of suicide and drug addiction. That's practically blaming the guns for shooting people. Like a doorstop or a stone, a gun will lay anywhere it is placed forever without ever firing one bullet.

I can certainly make a "half empty" case with you against technology and social media enabling social disconnect. However, one can change the lens to "half full" to make a case about how the very same reconnects people too. Ever catch up with a long-lost friend because you or they found the other via social media connections? How did that happen before tech and social media? It didn't- you just never connect with them again barring some magical fate scenario.

Individuals in the world can easily become more anti-social. On the other hand, has there ever been a time before where connecting with others- if desired- is so easy? Step back 30 years and to track someone down by phone meant a very large long-distance bill and/or lots of mailers & stamps or even a P.I. hire. Now, one person can find just about anyone else with a little effort doing free searches online. Connect to some shared acquaintance and they may know someone who knows someone who knows whatever happened to my old friend Steve. Minutes/hours/days later, you and Steve can be having a free phone conversation or a video catch-up. Try that same trick before about 1995.

Anti-social or social is just a choice of each individual. Tech can facilitate either want. However, I'd certainly not stretch that to an extreme implying that "if tech, then suicide and/or drug addiction" which are both- also- just individual choices. People will become addicts or kill themselves whether they have social media and tech or not.

But even if we believe it, this is not Vpro fault. Vpro isn't available yet. So put any perceived blame on the tech that does exist and get rid of that stuff.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

seriously? lol he’s the CEO of the company. of course he’s going to use the device heavily and also promote other services.

Watching an entire episode is heavy enough for the CEO to test. An entire season seems silly, unless he's really into it.

So, I'm curious why he would consider a headset to be a great way to watch Ted Lasso.

That's a good point.

(I'd worry that watching an entire series that way is not very comfortable, but we'll see.)

Yeah, but Ted Lasso isn't.

I guess it's possible they filmed a 3D version of it, but that series seems like a poor fit.

Mac_The_Ripper

Suspended
Sep 12, 2023
🇺🇸
I'm doubting that phones or goggles are the root cause of suicide and drug addiction. That's practically blaming the guns for shooting people. Like a doorstop or a stone, a gun will lay anywhere it is placed forever without ever firing one bullet.

I can certainly make a "half empty" case with you against technology and social media enabling social disconnect. However, one can change the lens to "half full" to make a case about how the very same reconnects people too. Ever catch up with a long-lost friend because you or they found the other via social media connections? How did that happen before tech and social media? It didn't- you just never connect with them again barring some magical fate scenario.

Individuals in the world can easily become more anti-social. On the other hand, has there ever been a time before where connecting with others- if desired- is so easy? Step back 30 years and to track someone down by phone meant a very large long-distance bill and/or lots of mailers & stamps or even a P.I. hire. Now, one person can find just about anyone else with a little effort doing free searches online. Connect to some shared acquaintance and they may know someone who knows someone who knows whatever happened to my old friend Steve. Minutes/hours/days later, you and Steve can be having a free phone conversation or a video catchup.

Anti-social or social is just a choice of each individual. Tech can facilitate either want. However, I'd certainly not stretch that to an extreme implying that "if tech, then suicide and/or drug addiction" which are both- also- just individual choices. People will become addicts or kill themselves whether they have social media and tech or not.

But even if we believe it, this is not Vpro fault. Vpro isn't available yet. So put any perceived blame on the tech that does exist and get rid of that stuff.
Studies have already shown that phones, tablets, computers, social media, etc. are a big part of the drug addiction/suicide problem. I will let you do your own research, but this is fact. It is not subjective. It is 100% nothing like blaming guns for shooting people, which is absurd.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I'm sorry to say that Apple Vision Pro is a disaster for humanity, especially in the long term, and it will definitely break down your psychological processes.

What's wrong with our natural eyes and nature environment?

Now slug in the word "television" for Vpro... and PC and Laptop and Smart Phone and Tablet. They all will work in the same sentence if one wants to change their point in time and look through that very same "half empty" lens.

Nothing wrong with natural eyes and nature environment. Why are you looking at a bulletin board with your natural eyes right now when there are nature environments out there instead? Put down that phone or tablet or computer that is stealing your own eyes attention from nature.

Or if you find some pleasure or benefit from using tech here now, don't be so quick to cast Vpro tech as some great, impending disaster. It's just a different way to do much of the same stuff we do now... perhaps a cut at foldable screens without the fold/crease.

Last edited:

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Cool to hear he is using the Vision Pro. I like it when execs use the devices. Would prefer it was Jobs using it so it would get better quick but still cool. And yes I agree he probably didnt watch all of Ted Lasso on the VP.

Glad to know the media is talking about how people should be punished for being "accused"....very sad state of things.

Reactions: matrix07

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
With the promised battery life you wouldn’t even be able to get through two full episodes on a single charge.
Especially since the newer episodes of that show are usually over an hour.
Instead of like 32 minutes as the first seasons episodes were
Why do people mention this? He sat on the couch plugged it in and watched it. Its not that deep....

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Studies have already shown that phones, tablets, computers, social media, etc. are a big part of the drug addiction/suicide problem. I will let you do your own research, but this is fact. It is not subjective. It is 100% nothing like blaming guns for shooting people, which is absurd.

In the 60's & early 70's there were no phones, tablets, computers, social media, etc and there was lots of drug addiction and suicide. I'll let you do your own research, but it is a fact. It is not subjective.

There has always been a drug addition/suicide problem. There will probably always be one too. We connect current problems to things happening now that we believe may have something to do with it. In 300 years, we'll be blaming suicides and drug addiction on warp drive or transporters. 300 years ago, we blamed it on witchcraft or the devil.

I'll 100% grant you that tech contributes to suicides and drug addiction... but not that it is some big cause of it. The cause is far more complex than only tech... as it has always been before modern tech and as it will be after current tech is viewed as relics.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I agree with what you are saying. However, it is 2023, not 1993. It is much more difficult putting out a product today for media consumption that has you tethered to a wall outlet almost constantly. I lived with it 20-25 years ago, but I couldn't do it today. But again, we are in the early stages so we will see what the future holds.
Like my plasma TV. I carry it around constantly....

• Haha
Reactions: matrix07

Mac_The_Ripper

Suspended
Sep 12, 2023
🇺🇸
In the 60's & early 70's there were no phones, tablets, computers, social media, etc and there was lots of drug addiction and suicide. I'll let you do your own research, but it is a fact. It is not subjective.

There has always been a drug addition/suicide problem. There will probably always be one too. We connect current problems to things happening now that we believe may have something to do with it. In 300 years, we'll be blaming suicides and drug addiction on warp drive or transporters. 300 years ago, we blamed it on witchcraft or the devil.
It has gotten worse though. The TV has done nothing compared to social media and smartphones when it comes to furthering anti-social behavior, and increasing drug addiction and suicide rates. The whole "TV will rot your brain and make you go blind" theory was debunked long ago. It is easy to see the rise in drug addiction and suicide right along with the rise in internet/social media usage and smartphone/tablet usage. I will have to disengage now, because you have your rose colored glasses on and that is fine if you prefer to live that way. Again, I appreciate a lively debate and no disrespect intended.

bobcomer

macrumors 601
May 18, 2015
If he really did, good for him. Now maybe he understands why some people don't like the idea of having something like that stuck to your face for long periods of time.

I kind of wish he tries with an eyepatch over one eye to see how it works for not perfect vision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.