Time Capsule Slow Back Up - El Capitan 12-inch Macbook

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by ShaunC, Mar 10, 2016.

1. ShaunC macrumors member

Recently purchased a 4th Gen Time Machine 3TB (A1409) but cannot complete a first backup over WiFi

• Macbook 12-inch Retina (210GB of data to be backed up)
    • Sky Router (UK)

Have tried the following but with no success;

• Standard backup over WiFi - Left overnight and managed 22GB, meaning approximately 85 hours of backup remaining??
    • Connecting the Time Capsule directly to the router - Saw no noticeable speed bump
    • Re-indexing Spotlight
    • Un-throttling in Terminal

Is there any settings in either router which could be causing the slow transfer speeds?

Really do not want to spend more ££ on a Ethernet to USB-C adaptor

Any help appreciated!

2. graley macrumors regular

I can't think of anything else but a cable. Look for USB c to USB 3 cable. If the router has a USB port. I see cables for usd 15.

3. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Is the Sky Router AC or N speed? Because there is a big difference in speed. You could also have Wi-Fi interference from having two Wi-Fi routers close together.

There should be a way to disable the router part of the Sky Router, so that you can use the Time Capsule directly. 200 GB of data over AC Wi-Fi should be done in 8 hours easily.

I don't think you can connect to a router directly over USB.

4. Mystic Eddy macrumors regular

I've got a Sky router too. Its WiFi is woefully inadequate (72Mbps) so I've got a TC connected to the Sky Hub and use that as my WiFi access point, giving me 1.3Gbps speeds when within a few metres of the router - nice!

5. JOSmith99 macrumors newbie

The first backup will always take a reeeeeally long time because it has to copy the entire drive. If you have a lot of app store apps/iTunes content that you can re-download for free, then you should exclude those items from the backup to reduce the backup size. Go to System Preferences > Time Machine > Options and add them to Exclude these items from backup: