Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RamGuy

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
Norway
It's not fixed in macOS 12.1 and that was to be expected. I've had bug reports via the Feedback-app in the past and once a solution is in place and is being marked for a specific OS release the Feedback-app would normally list the version that is going to contain the fix.

As the Feedback-app is still saying "Potential fix identified - For a future OS Update" it seems quite clear that it's not going to be 12.1. It's also still marked as a "potential fix identified" so it doesn't seem like Apple has started on verifying if the fix is working either.

Still the same for me on both my Mac mini (M1, 2020) and my MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) running macOS Monterey 12.1 Release Candidate (21C51).

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA
It's not fixed in macOS 12.1 and that was to be expected. I've had bug reports via the Feedback-app in the past and once a solution is in place and is being marked for a specific OS release the Feedback-app would normally list the version that is going to contain the fix.

As the Feedback-app is still saying "Potential fix identified - For a future OS Update" it seems quite clear that it's not going to be 12.1. It's also still marked as a "potential fix identified" so it doesn't seem like Apple has started on verifying if the fix is working either.

Still the same for me on both my Mac mini (M1, 2020) and my MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) running macOS Monterey 12.1 Release Candidate (21C51).

Ugh.

jg66ue

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2021
Glad to see MacRumors finally covered this issue.

Based on the slew of issues with Monterey that I keep reading about (beyond the TM issue), I for the life of me can't figure out how they let this OS go to public. It has almost 0 upgrades and is overridden with issues. No clue what is beneficial to this mess over Big Sur.

I did, however, start using CCC (thanks to the suggestions in this forum) and I love it. Probably will never go back to TM. I enjoy the aesthetics of TM, but to be honest, even before this current TM issue, TM has corrupted almost every drive I have had after a migration to a new computer - forcing me to reformat after a migration anyway. And I'd rather not lose 2 years of backups every time I move to a new computer. So far, very happy with CCC. And don't have to worry about when Apple is going to sort this out.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA

Based on the slew of issues with Monterey that I keep reading about (beyond the TM issue), I for the life of me can't figure out how they let this OS go to public. It has almost 0 upgrades and is overridden with issues. No clue what is beneficial to this mess over Big Sur.

I did, however, start using CCC (thanks to the suggestions in this forum) and I love it. Probably will never go back to TM. I enjoy the aesthetics of TM, but to be honest, even before this current TM issue, TM has corrupted almost every drive I have had after a migration to a new computer - forcing me to reformat after a migration anyway. And I'd rather not lose 2 years of backups every time I move to a new computer. So far, very happy with CCC. And don't have to worry about when Apple is going to sort this out.
When did Macrumors cover this? I haven't seen any articles pop up in notifications. Also no one has posted a link here.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA

netnative

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2013
Puerto Rico, USA

The best part of the MacRumors article: “We've reached out to Apple for comment and we'll update this article if we get more clarity on the problem.”

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Count me in the Time Machine backup not working properly too. Mine backs up, but there are no dates or info either. Also no gear to delete a backup etc. Like the photo of this story. I setup my new M1 Pro new and copied my apps etc and set them all up. So no migration from my Intel 16" MBP.

mal4i6ka

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2021
I am having TM problems too after upgrading to Monterey. I use as a TM a hard drive connected to USB 3.0 of my router. The router firmware has an option to dedicate certain folders as mountable drive and two protocol options AFP and CIFS.

From the beginning I used AFP and everything was fine, but after encountering problems I decided to try switching to CIFS and it worked.

In an attempt to fix the problem I tried plugging directly into the computer and making copies this way. Only after a full clearance and formatting to APFS the copies saved correctly, but unfortunately the operating system of the router could not read APFS, while HFS+ could.

It turns out it helped me to use a NAS HDD with CIFS formatted to HFS+ copies not encrypted, it also helped to reduce the number of shutdowns.

jg66ue

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2021
The best part of the MacRumors article: “We've reached out to Apple for comment and we'll update this article if we get more clarity on the problem.”
20 pages of comments about the problem and they have to "reach out to apple for clarity". But, the minute anyone complains how the charger colors don't match the computer case color, it's a macrumors' crisis.

Reactions: Macintosh IIcx

Wizec

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2019
Still having the same problem here myself, it will never complete the initial backup.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Just tried a fresh backup in safe mode and same results. Oldest Backup None Newest Backup None. The Time Machine plist also does not write to the preferences folder. That's when the dates appear. I know this is true because I copied an old one and the time machine recognized the dates. I'm stumped.

Last edited:

tchek

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2009
Paris - France
Same problem here with Time Machine on Monterey 12.0.1, the backup is done until the end and an alert arises that some files were not available. Obviously in the backup disk here in USB-C APFS coming from working Time Machine BigSur, (Samsung T5, MacBook Air M1) The backup has not been done. I go with SuperDuper!

Attachments

• timemachine_Monterey.png
    timemachine_Monterey.png
    950.7 KB · Views: 86

bcomer

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Ottawa
Gave up on external USB drives always disconnecting and Time Machine itself. Carbon Copy Cloner has a 30 day free trial that is now installed. As for the external drives - ordered an internal mounting bracket for my 2019 Mac Pro.

SketchyClown

macrumors regular
Always had a love/hate relationship with TM. Loved it was free. Hated that it was so limited in options. Well, we've just broken up. Purchased Chronosync Express from the MAS and now I can back up what I want, when and how often I want. CCC is very nice too. Tried it out but it was $20 more expensive for my needs. Bye bye TM!

Last edited:
Reactions: bcomer

bcomer

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
Ottawa
Always had a love/hate relationship with TM. Loved it was free. Hated that it was so limited in options. Well, we just broken up. Purchased Chronosync Express from the MAS and now I can back up what I want, when and how often I want. CCC is very nice too. Tried it out but it was $20 more expensive for my needs. Bye bye TM!
I now call it Waste of Time Machine

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
There are a few workarounds on these pages, one of which worked twice for me, across two different machines. Try them if you haven't done so already. You might get lucky.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
There are a few workarounds on these pages, one of which worked twice for me, across two different machines. Try them if you haven't done so already. You might get lucky.
Which two worked for you? I tried the safe mode and it didn't work. the plist file is not writing to the library.

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
Which two worked for you? I tried the safe mode and it didn't work. the plist file is not writing to the library.
Deleting the FindMy containers... Try this:

Make sure TM is off and no disk is selected. Unplug any external HD/SSD.
Turn off FindMy in iCloud System Prefs
Delete all the com.apple.FindMy files in ~/Library/Containers
Empty Trash
Connect your TM HD/SSD. Format your TM disk in Disk Utility and then reboot
Select your newly formatted TM disk in Time Machine prefs and it should count down from 120, initating a first run backup. Everything permitting you might have a working Backup in due course.
Once it does complete, turn on FindMy in iCloud System Prefs.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
I can't delete the time machine data. I have other stuff on it. All I know is that since 2013 thru 2021 it worked. It worked using my 2013 MBP for 8 years, my 2019 16" MBP thru 2021 with all OS versions except Big Sur. Latest was with Monterey on my intel MBP, and no problems. This new M1 Pro and this version of Monterey doesn't work right like it should, just like others have found out.

What does Find My have to do with it you think?

randomgeeza

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2014
United Kingdom
I can't delete the time machine data. I have other stuff on it. All I know is that since 2013 thru 2021 it worked. It worked using my 2013 MBP for 8 years, my 2019 16" MBP thru 2021 with all OS versions except Big Sur. Latest was with Monterey on my intel MBP, and no problems. This new M1 Pro and this version of Monterey doesn't work right like it should, just like others have found out.

What does Find My have to do with it you think?
It was indicated in a few TM logs that were analysed. Have you maybe another drive you could use as a temp/test deck just to get TM to work again... and then potentially recognise your preferred drive. Just a thought...

Reactions: golfnut1982

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
It was indicated in a few TM logs that were analysed. Have you maybe another drive you could use as a temp/test deck just to get TM to work again... and then potentially recognise your preferred drive. Just a thought...
Right now I am using CCC with my Samsung flash drive and manually doing it. I’m sure Apple will figure it out. There’s people in this forum that have already been working with Apple engineers. It’s a bug, and an embarrassing one at that. This time “it just doesn’t work. “

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.