To people ordering the new iPhone online.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by yanki01, Sep 8, 2014.

1. yanki01, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

One suggestion, UPDATE YOUR MAILING ADDRESS NOW. I can't tell you how many threads I've read over the years when the new iPhone gets released, everyone is at work and it's being mailed to their home or it's they'll be out of town and it's being mailed to where no one will be.

Remember, a signature is required and I would suggest you get it mailed somewhere you will be available (no potty breaks when you see "out for delivery") or mail it somewhere so it can be signed for.

It would actually be good practice to update everything on your profile with apple.com or wherever you plan on ordering the new iPhone when it becomes available.

I've since updated all address (apple.com, credit card and carrier) to show my work address to ensure I would have no hiccups. I would also suggest if you're changing your address for this alone, do it a few days before pre-order is available (I did it now).

I don't want any casualties on my watch.

carry on.

:apple:

2. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I have a question on the pre order process?

Are they expected to freeze out? Or will every order go through the first time albeit slowly or something?

Can someone talk about it play by play? Any other tips we should look out for to increase chances of first day or 1 day early delivery?

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Thank you for your concern OP.

That being said, people should be double checking all information when ordering any product!

4. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

For the iPhone 5 it was slammed. I had multiple browser windows open and refreshed until one hit. Takes a bit of luck but if you're persistent you should get a pre-order in before they sell out.

:apple:

5. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Does someone need to sign to get it?

Will they have tracking so you can be home when it arrives?

new to this thing, but my iPhone 4 is on its death-bed.

6. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The 5 online ordering process was a huge pain! The 5S wasn't though. We'll see!

7. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

I ordered my iPhone 5 when I woke up that morning and it was slammed. I believe I got in later that morning at work but by then, the scheduled arrive date was pushed back for the following week. It later updated and I got it a few days after it was released to the public.

Some got so lucky (I did) to get the iPhone 4 a day before it was released. I don't know why that happened?

8. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Omg I have to worry about this now.

So in the tabs how far do u go to get it set up? Once the clock strikes zero you have like 4 browser windows refreshing the apple store site? Click on pre order link on all 4? Do you keep filling out the order (choosing color/size) every time? Or do you just have 4 tabs with finalized orders and clicking a try again button on all 4?

WILL IT HELP IF I CONNECT TO HARDLINE AND SHUT OFF WIFI?

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

If you are going to order from Apple, another suggestion.

Go to the Apple Store get set up for one click purchases. They have to verify your credit card but makes a huge difference when the servers are busy.

After that you piuck what you want and click BUY and it is done!

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Hmm so Apple has something set up similar to Amazon? Where you're able to click once and purchase complete?

11. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

Ha, ha, just my luck I'd get all four phones to go through if I had four windows ordering at once. :eek:

12. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

You mean it's different than express payments on the apple website? This has to be done in store???

13. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

The time it will take and the speed you will get done will vary from one person to another. If you are ordering from Apple go to the store and your account and get it set up for one click purchases. Verify you have the same address for both delivery and credit card. Get you credit card verifies with the Apple store and set up the "one click checkout" now. It make all much faster when the servers are freaking out.

----------

I think it is called express or one click checkout.

Got to your accouint payment screen and activate it if you have not done so.

14. SilianRail macrumors 6502

does the credit card require just the same billing address or the same name + billing address?

15. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

express checkout.

16. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Ok cool did that.

Was about to head to the store otherwise lol

17. Ashtar macrumors regular

I am not on Next now. I am going to go to it for the iPhone 6. The Apple website allows for me to order online for phones because i don't have to trade-in yet (Not on Next yet). I just set up Express Checkout.

One question: If pre-orders are available for iPhone 6, shouldn't I just have to pay the sales tax when I hit Express Checkout?

18. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It does not hurt to check you account at the store every day or so to confirm the Express Checkout is still valid. I and other have seen it just turned back off for no reason. Has not happend to me in a while but it did happen a year or two ago.

Good Luck. Set you alarm to when the store opens in your part of the country and make you purchase, then go back to bed. You will get what you want!

19. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

the express checkout toggle has turned off for me twice today. not sure but I hope they check into that and get it fixed.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

For the iPhone 5 it seemed that the Apple Store app on iOS was using different servers than the web site. People had a lot more luck using that app than they did using the web.

It's been 2 years though so who knows if that's still true. But trying both options is probably still smart.

21. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

Wait, the addresses have to be same? I have my home address for my billing, but my office for shipping since I won't be home.

22. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

The App is also a good choice. A few friends of mine used it without a hiccup for the 5.

23. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

I just checked the settings from iPad and Express Checkout was toggled to off even tho I just turned it on yesterday on the Mac and it stayed.

Hmm could it be due to accessing the store from other devices that messes with it?

24. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

see, this I can't remember. IIRC my iPhone 5 was shipped to my work address HOWEVER I believe I was able to update the shipping address during the process, AFTER the sale was complete. I believe there was a small window of when we were able to update the address. I think it was being automatically sent to my billing address and of course, I would be at work I needed to update it.

25. Munky macrumors 6502

Change your credit card billing address to match your work shipping address a few days before the pre-order. I did it last year. Once shipped, change the address back.