Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I owned a 16GB iPad 1 since launch, and now I own a 16GB iPad 2. For my purposes, I have more than enough space. It really depends on how you use it.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I had a 16GB iPad 1 which I filled up. I then upgraded to a 32GB iPad 2 which is now filled up again.

I will probably stick with 32GB for future iPad's though, unless 32GB becomes the baseline.

I really hope the iCloud allows users to back up app data online. That would be a killer feature for me because if I have a large game that I haven't beat I hate to delete it and lose my save data. If I could save it to the cloud it would be perfect and I would have a ton more free space.

Also I will hopefully be able to remove most of my music from my iPad as well with the advent of the iCloud...

s15119

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2010
I have 16 gigs - have never regretted it. There's plenty of room!

macwong

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
I too have a 16GB White ipad2, so far I can't even reach 5GB. :D And my iPhone still got 29GB free spaces. :cool:

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I keep my music on my iPhone. 16GB on the iPad has proven to be just fine for me.

I'll be flying to Asia soon and will load some movies on it. But I'm guessing between the on-flight entertainment and the iPad, I should be in good shape.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
not too bad, I mainly keep music (im trying to learn to dj on it) and books on there.

When I go away though I take some music off and put some videos on. Thats pretty much the only time I take it out of the house.

I've got a VPN so I can share music and Vids straight off my computer at home.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
It really depends on your needs. If you don't care about the larger games and can't be bothered to sync videos locally, space shouldn't be an issue.
Many people have smart phones, so storing their iTunes music library on the iPad is redundant. Most of my space is used by my photo library but even with over 4000 photo's 16GB should be fine.

That said I do have many of the larger games on my iPads and they bring up an interesting problem; the space required to upgrade. Take Rage as an example. While the installed size is ~2GB, You will need an additional 3.5GB free to install updates. This is because of the way iOS handles the install process. The old version remains on the device(2GB) while the upgrade is downloaded (1.5GB) and the new version installed (2GB). Once the install is complete, the old version and the installer are removed.

If you use these larger apps you should budget at least 3GB to be free at all times.

sheilaef

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2008
SF Bay, CA
Inton the clouds

I've had a mac/mobile me account for years, comes with cloud storage. I got the 16GB/wireless only. Almost always around a wireless connection (even in Alaska, on vacation!) and couldn't see spending the extra money. I used it to upgrade my iPhone to the 4 when my contract ran out!
7GB remaining right now-

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
I had a 32gb iPad1, and never put anything on it. So this time, I went with 16gb. Now I find myself wanting to put some videos on it, and even my 1 hour tv shows in HD are 1.4gb each. So I do feel a bit restricted. Next time I'm going with 64gb and will hang on to it for a while instead of upgrading the minute a new one comes out :)

madat42

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Going to get the 16gb as that's all I can afford hopefully I dont have regrets.

Also how much is it of actual storage -somewhere around 14 gigs I'm assuming?

If that's what you can afford, you should have no regrets. If you do approach your limit, there are ways to make it work. Enjoy your new tablet.

EarlofCroydon

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2010
16GB SHOULD be enough

I filled mine up with about 9GB of music, 1GB of photos and the rest on apps. I liked playing music from it around the house but realised that the iPad isn't really meant as an iPod so I removed all the music and left that job up to my MacBook and iPod. It frees up space for Movies which is very handy. In retrospect a 32GB model is probably worth the extra cash unless you're going to be needing it for nothing more than Safari and SOME apps

2updev

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
Belgium
Never had a problem with this...
Don't store all my music on it, am still using my iPod Touch for that.
I think it's just a matter of what you plan on using the iPad for

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
I had a 16GB iPad 1 and now bought a 16GB iPad 2. It really depends on how you manage the content. I only store apps on it and so typically have around 8GB free. If I am going on holiday then I may load up a couple of GBs of movies for flights etc. but genuinely have never come close to filling it. I use my iPhone 4 for music etc.
If you do need to have all your content with you at all times however, go for the largest you can afford. If you are good at planning or content management then the 16GB is most likely sufficient.

PT123

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
Hey it looks like with the news that iCloud is going to stream your iTunes collection wherever you go online, among other things, that 16gb might become way too big for a lot of us! :)

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
I won my ipad in a raffle, so I didn't have much choice on capacity either.
Unless you have to have Malcolm X, Ben Hur, Gone with the Wind and the complete Stargate SG-1 series on your ipad, you'll be fine space wise.
When I bring my ipad to watch movies, I can usually bring several movies. Along with the ebooks, this is enough to keep me entertained on almost any flight.

andyadler

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2007
Louisville, Ky USA
My music collection resides on my 32gb iPhone 4 -- my 16gb iPad 2 is used principally to surf the web, stream Netflix, play some music apps, etc.. My wife has a 32gb iPad 2, which I got her because there were no 16gb units in stock at the time. If I ever really run short, I'll simply swap with her's. Meanwhile, between the cloud and wi-fi equipped hard drives, I'm not worried.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
No regrets at all. I have 7 gb's music that I hardly listen to, tons of apps, everything I need for school, and I still have 4 gb's free. Any larger would be a total waste for me. I'd go bigger on my phone before my iPad, but even on my iP4 I've got lots of room left.

GrassHoppa10

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
Bigger is better when it comes to maxing out Non-Upgradeable memory. We have 3 iPads at home, all 64GB. I thought about going 32GB with each, and then decided I would regret it in months to come + resale.

If you are tight on $, get atleast 32GB. Resale will be much better, and you wont be playing the shuffle - swapping media/apps all the time as much.

When you think about it, the 64GB for $200 more is a decent deal for the extra 48GB of memory.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I'm hoping iCloud makes the hard drive space decision less stressful. If I could get to all my media without actually storing it on the iPad, it sure would be convenient. Looking forward to hearing more on this soon.

So what would it cost you in phone fees to download say a 1.5 GB movie to your iPad?

bobright

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lots of great replies thanks guys....

I also have a iPhone 4 32GB and was thinking to use it for music like most do - but isn't it nice having a good chunk of music on the iPad to listen while say playing some games?

also is it true some apps are like nearly 4GB?

BigWalt

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2010
I love my 16gb I stream all my music and movies anyways :) only games and apps saved on my iPad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.