Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Wow, surprising to see I'm still in the Top 25 - up until Steve's death (RIP) I hadn't posted here for a few years! Good to see both old and new faces on the site, that helps keep things interesting. :) I'll try to pop back on MacRumors from time to time, cheers for now...

nice to see you around these parts. it has been a long time. i hope everything's been going well for you.

i've slowly started posting more again. over the past year i haven't been around much. i've missed this place, but it's changed a lot too.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
It would also be interesting to see a graph of posting rate across time for the top 50, perhaps with a sliding window of 30 days?

Yeah, that's more of a rhetorical request rather than one I expect someone to create. It might also start brushing against people's privacy.

Although that'd be a cool feature to access in one's CP.

So many fun things one can do with data.:)

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
My rise into the top posters happened when I was unemployed for 15 months.

mine when i was in school. now that i'm back in school it seems to be a good distraction again. :eek:

it's a good way to break up the monotony of the day sometimes.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Glad to see you back, ~Shard~. Are work, real life, and your focus and priorities making life great for you? How's your (TV star) wife?

Thanks Q, I have absolutely no complaints - life is great and keeps getting better! I feel very fortunate. :)

As for the lovely Pamela, she is doing awesome as well!

Are you someone we should know?

And you are?...

nice to see you around these parts. it has been a long time. i hope everything's been going well for you.

Thanks, likewise!

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
It stupefies. I had a posting rate of 31.7 a year ago and now I'm down to 9.4. To be honest, I'm surprised that it's that high as I was expecting something along the lines of 5 posts a day. Okay, now I have moderator duties which take time away from regular posting but still. It's the same old questions and at some point, you fine something better to do. At the same time, new faces rise though.

Eventually, you just run out of stuff to talk about.

"And that's all I have to say about that" :D

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
But, actually a kind of serious question, how do you fit in the rest of your lives? :p

Sometimes I think to myself, "Bloody hell, you're spending far too much time on here…" and I still only have a rate of 1.7something a day.

*bowled over* That is quite astonishing.

It's not all that hard. When I came home from school, I checked all the Mac sub-forums and a few others as well. Usually, I got at least 10 posts from those. Then I let the Forum Spy run in the background and replied to threads that I found interesting. That gets an easy 20 posts if you just follow the FS intensively. It's not really about the time. On busy days (like release days), I easily made over 100 posts in a couple of hours. It's rare that you need more than a paragraph to answer the question. Sometimes even a few words are enough.

Today, school take more time and I also have a job. The real reason is lack of motivation, though. I just don't feel like searching for the correct RAM and so on. Or in MR terms, I'm not so interested in my post count anymore. I lost the interest when I hit 20,000 posts and became a mod (now I just have the freaking Demi-god (Moderator) thingy, it doesn't depend on my post count! :mad::(:D).

This seems to happen to everyone. After a certain point, you stop posting like you used to. I still visit and post daily, but not over 30 posts per day.

Eventually, you just run out of stuff to talk about.

"And that's all I have to say about that" :D

Well, not really that. It's just that you get tired of the same topics. I could reply to all the RAM and "what to buy" etc threads and I'm sure people would appreciate my comments but I rarely feel like doing so. I guess I have answered those questions too many times and now it feels like reinventing the wheel over and over again.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Okay, now I have moderator duties which take time away from regular posting but still. It's the same old questions and at some point, you fine something better to do. At the same time, new faces rise though.

I'd attribute that more then anything else. The time it takes to perform the modding tasks is a lot and at times your availability to post in MR takes a hit

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
You forgot the mankini. :D

Yeah. I've conveniently 'forgotten' a lot about MR, funnily enough. But that was bloody hilarious; another clue to his character, never took himself too seriously, brilliant banter too.

jsw once called him one of the people who acted like glue around here, holding people together. All true. There used to be a lot of characters on this forum who you'd just log in each day to see what they'd been up to.

By the time he's pushed down off the top 50 list, we'll all be collecting our pensions.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It would also be interesting to see a graph of posting rate across time for the top 50, perhaps with a sliding window of 30 days?

Yeah, that's more of a rhetorical request rather than one I expect someone to create. It might also start brushing against people's privacy.

Although that'd be a cool feature to access in one's CP.

So many fun things one can do with data.:)
Perhaps Doctor Q can do this, but the forum search doesn't allow searching for posts by a particular date or date range, or showing all posts by a poster, regardless of date. It's quite limited.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Yeah. I've conveniently 'forgotten' a lot about MR, funnily enough. But that was bloody hilarious; another clue to his character, never took himself too seriously, brilliant banter too.

jsw once called him one of the people who acted like glue around here, holding people together. All true. There used to be a lot of characters on this forum who you'd just log in each day to see what they'd been up to.

By the time he's pushed down off the top 50 list, we'll all be collecting our pensions.

all very true. i've come to miss a lot of those people. mad jew, jsw, emw, devilot etc all were great people to talk to.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Thanks for the shaming/stats Q :p

I've finally made the Top 10 :D

I really like these threads. We always get a lot of the old-school users posting. It's great seeing the old faces again :)

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Great stats, Q. Who could've imagined this sites success all those years ago? Community goes a long way. While this place has changed greatly in my time, it still offers a wealth of information, stimulating conversation, opportunities for fun* and an escape from the everyday world. This place is, and always will be, what we make of it. Thanks to (most of) the top posters and mods for laying the groundwork.

*Couldn't resist, Jaffa.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
how did your predictions from last time hold up?
Top 50

As far as who would be in the Top 50, the projections from 6 months ago turned out to be correct for 48 out of the 50 current Top 50 members. My projections had Consultant in the Top 50 but he missed by 510 posts. My projections didn't have Peace in the Top 50 but he showed up as number 48.

29% of the projected Top 50 members who made the actual Top 50 have exactly the rank that was projected. 41% were off by 1 (up or down), so about 70% were on the mark or extremely close. The biggest disparity was -aggie-, 8 slots lower than projected. Here's a chart showing how many were off by how much.

Six-month projection error rate

click for the full-size graph

120103-how-far-off.png

Top 10

The projection had Mr. Anderson dropping out of the Top 10, but he stayed in the Top 10 while Hellhammer didn't make it into the Top 10 as projected. See Hellhammer's comments about that here. The other 9 projected Top 10 members showed up in the Top 10 as projected, 7 of them in the projected positions.

I projected that the members in the Top 50 would make 910,188 posts collectively. The actual number was 900,433. So we were 1.1% less chatty than projected.

Projected vs. actual posts by the current Top 50 members

click for the full-size graph

120103-projected-and-actual-posts.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.