Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In truth, anytime I have asked questions about something to do with my Mac computer or Apple devices (my iPods), I have almost always received courteous, informative and helpful responses on this forum.

Reactions: eyoungren

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In truth, anytime I have asked questions about something to do with my Mac computer or Apple devices (my iPods), I have almost always received courteous, informative and helpful responses on this forum.
I would agree with this, with one exception.

Try asking questions about PowerPC Macs or early Intel Macs in the Intel Mac forum. The responses might disturb you.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
At the outset of this thread, (July 2017) @Doctor Q announced that he intended that it would be the penultimate "Top 50 Posters Extrapolated"; thus, this - to come - might be the last.

However, I, for one, hope that he may be persuaded to change his mind on this matter.

I'd forgotten that. Oh dear. :'( I also hope he will change his mind.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Suspended
May 28, 2017
The people you have mentioned I do not recognize.

That is irrelevant, because this is not a "let's vote for president" game I'm proposing playing. This is not a vote. I'm not suggesting that we modify the original poster's criteria for "top poster". That can be as is. Giving kudos to specific folks can be a separate thread if at all there is any interest in having one.

I am simply giving kudos to people that I, personally, have found helpful and in alignment with the spirit of this forum. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks specifically about my opinion, because it is just that - an opinion. If you don't recognize those folks or think they're helpful, it doesn't matter, because we're not voting for someone to receive some illusory rank/award, so we don't have to evaluate each person mentioned. It's much simpler than that. It's like saying, "Thanks" or "Kudos" to specific members. I mention people I know, you mention people you know (if you're interested in doing so), and so on.

We don't have to make an exact science out of saying, "Kudos".

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
That is irrelevant, because this is not a "let's vote for president" game I'm proposing playing. This is not a vote. I'm not suggesting that we modify the original poster's criteria for "top poster". That can be as is. Giving kudos to specific folks can be a separate thread if at all there is any interest in having one.

I am simply giving kudos to people that I, personally, have found helpful and in alignment with the spirit of this forum. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks specifically about my opinion, because it is just that - an opinion. If you don't recognize those folks or think they're helpful, it doesn't matter, because we're not voting for someone to receive some illusory rank/award, so we don't have to evaluate each person mentioned. It's much simpler than that. It's like saying, "Thanks" or "Kudos" to specific members. I mention people I know, you mention people you know (if you're interested in doing so), and so on.

Sounds like an excellent idea. Why not start a thank you thread.
Personally, whatever section I've asked for assistance in, I've always found helpful knowledgeable members.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Back in the autumn of 2005 I came to MacRumors to see what I could learn about the Mac, as although I'd been using computers since the DOS days, I really didn't know that much about Macs and was more than curious, starting to think about maybe getting one of my own. I was surprised to find that the site consisted of a lot of people who were really happy with their Macs and who also were pleasant and courteous, always willing to respond to questions from a total newbie.....and that in itself led me to become even more interested. Initially, I just lurked, and then I had a couple of questions so joined the site, figuring I'd just ask the questions, get answers and probably that would be that..... Never dreamed I'd still be around years later, a fierce Apple fangrrl and advocate!

Time went on, I got my first Mac and the ever-so-helpful Doctor Q changed my user name at my request since the initial one really wasn't suitable any longer. Now I both ask and answer questions, hopefully contributing something to the community as well as receiving something from it. Whenever I have a concern about one of my devices, first place I look is here.

Getting back to the actual topic, I'm dismayed that Doctor Q is actually considering stopping the Top 50 Posters data collection and information!! Even though I'm no math geek (not my favorite subject in school) I have always liked looking at the results of the data collection and it's really fun to go back and look at previous years as time goes on. For various reasons some folks whose user names were very familiar to many of us have now drifted away, off into the mist somewhere, but they will not be forgotten; their legacy stands in the annals of the Top 50 Posters......

Hm, how can we convince Doctor Q that he must continue this project? Ply him with gifts? Flat-out bribery? Lavish him with many, many thanks over and over again? There MUST be a solution!!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

To me I would find it more interesting if there was some sort of description of any particulars about those mentioned and not just a dry list of user names (which is how I am percieving your intent). Whether I read it or not I don't think matters at all to you but if those whom you are thanking deserve the mention, then they also deserve to have the context/nature of their help stated as well.

Suspended
May 28, 2017
To me I would find it more interesting if there was some sort of description of any particulars about those mentioned and not just a dry list of user names (which is how I am percieving your intent). Whether I read it or not I don't think matters at all to you but if those whom you are thanking deserve the mention, then they also deserve to have the context/nature of their help stated as well.

Yes, not just a dry list of user names. See the new thread I created, for an example of what I'm talking about.

And again, this is not deadly serious. It doesn't have to be like the Golden Globe awards with red carpets and spotlights. It's very simple, and participation is totally optional :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Now, I hope it doesn't get taken down by a moderator for being "off-topic" or "redundant" or whatever. I've seen a bit of my content taken down for no conceivable reason, so ... it remains to be seen if this thread will stay up :)
It's in the Community section discussing helpful members of the community. You have a pretty good shot of it staying up I think. :D

Reactions: 0002378

Suspended
May 28, 2017
It's in the Community section discussing helpful members of the community. You have a pretty good shot of it staying up I think. :D

I have noticed a fair bit of censorship on this forum that I did not like and did not agree with. But, that is a topic for another thread.

In fact, there was one thread by you, I think, about "Work-life balance" or something similar ??? that I very much wanted to reply to and it got locked by a moderator. I was dumbfounded !!!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
In fact, there was one thread by you, I think, about "Work-life balance" or something similar ??? that I very much wanted to reply to and it got locked by a moderator. I was dumbfounded !!!
That was actually me.

The focus became on the example I used and not the actual topic itself. Rather than derail the thread further, and particularly in light of receiving what I thought was a logical answer to my question in an early reply, I asked it to be locked.

Suspended
May 28, 2017
That was actually me.

The focus became on the example I used and not the actual topic itself. Rather than derail the thread further, and particularly in light of receiving what I thought was a logical answer to my question in an early reply, I asked it to be locked.

Ah, I see. Ok, I don't want to derail this particular thread too much, so I will stop here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.