iPhone X Touch ID or Face ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, Jan 13, 2018.

?

which would you rather have?

1. Touch ID

21 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Face ID

35 vote(s)
    62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonjr36 macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

ok new poll. Apple said they would maybe bring Touch ID back if people hated Face ID. Which would you rather have any why?

2. Relentless Power, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

1.) I really did appreciate touch ID, but ultimately, I think Face ID is more beneficial to me where Touch ID was not. And I look forward to seeing how it expands into the iPad lineup in the future.

2.) Not trying to instill an argument, but do you have a source for when Apple said "They would maybe bring touch ID back if people hated Face ID?" I have never once heard anyone from Apple comment on such a thing. Iwould be interested in Reading this. And the reason I ask, Apple has never been about negotiating, especially when it comes to security and what they believe is the future.

3. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

FaceID works better. With RTW and FaceID it’s like having a phone that doesn’t lock.

4. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

What is the source of this information?

5. Deacon-Blues macrumors 6502

Deacon-Blues

I would choose Touch ID over Face ID. I don't have an iPhone X so I don't have any experience with it. I will be getting the next version of that phone, whether it has Touch ID or Face ID, but I'd prefer Touch.

6. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

7. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I don't think they ever said that.

8. adamhenry macrumors 65816

adamhenry

I think you should consider that you may have a defective phone. In over 4 weeks, I have put in my passcode 3 times and two of those were due to restarts.

9. aevan, Jan 13, 2018

aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Speculation and rumors, most likely completely wrong. Apple is almost certainly going full-on with Face ID, and in a few years it will be on every Apple device - iPads, Macs, etc.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 13, 2018 ---
    70% of the time not working can mean one of the following things:

1. You have a defective phone
    2. You have a very specific condition, most likely rare. Maybe your skin is somehow not reflecting the light from the dot projector? No idea, but it is possible.
    3. You're not telling the truth (don't take this the wrong way, but that is always a possibility, because Internet :))
    4. Perhaps you meant to say that it doesn't work 30% of the time? Even that is A LOT, but more realistic than not working 70% of the time.
    5. You're holding the phone too close to your face or at a weird angle.

For most people, it works great. I almost never need to type in the password. Certainly a lot better than Touch ID.

10. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

No I’m not bullshi**ng you. I have to put my passcode in 30-40 times a day. I have no reason to lie about it. I wish it worked and had no problems but it doesn’t. Apple should’ve waited tell they could made it perfect.

11. megagene macrumors member

megagene

Ideally, I'd like to have both options available to me as they both have their merits. If I had to choose just one, I'd go with Touch ID. Face ID on my X works pretty well, but it is slower than Touch ID, tends to fail more often than Touch ID ever did for me, and the phone can only be unlocked from certain angles, orientations and distances. With Touch ID, my phone was usually fully unlocked before it was even halfway out of my pocket.

12. BenTrovato macrumors 68030

BenTrovato

Long term FaceID. Right now, touchID. I personally don’t like how faceID works right now but have no problem saying it gets the job done. TouchID just works better. FaceID will eventually work better.

13. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

Sorry to hear that. Did you consider the possibility that your phone is faulty? Perhaps you should check with Apple.

Also, maybe you do hold the phone really close to your face? I've noticed it doesn't work when it is too close.

This is really different to my experience, and to all my friends who got the X. So maybe you can do something about it.

14. Relentless Power, Jan 13, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Regarding the article that you posted when you said "Apple said they would maybe bring touch ID back if people hated Face ID", at NO point in the article did Apple or any staff from Apple even comment about remotely about bringing back touch ID. I'm not sure where you concluded your comment from the article you posted.

For The record, that article was actually dated October 6, 2017, Apple would never say that before the launch of the iPhone X. That would show insecurity on their own behalf of the future with Face ID.

15. JediZenMaster Suspended

JediZenMaster

Woah cowboy. Find your chill please and most likely it’s a defective phone if it’s doing that.

Maybe take it to the Genius Bar?

16. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Some people have similar issues with TouchID. If Apple waited until everything worked perfectly for everyone, they'd never be able to introduce anything new. And I say that as someone who greatly prefers TouchID.

17. JoeyD74 macrumors 6502

I love the Face ID, my hands are either to dirty or cut up for the Touch ID to work even 10%of the time.

18. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

I went ahead and activated it and reset Face ID by holding the phone further away. We will see if it works better now.
    I’m chill. Just not a fan of Face ID. Was just asking everyone else there opinion on it. And which they prefer...

19. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

After 3 weeks with the iPhone X, and using it alongside my iPad Pro, I prefer FaceID. In fact, I'd welcome an iPad with FaceID and no home button. Everything just feels more fluid with the iPhone X, and secure apps just open as if there is no password. Neither FaceID nor TouchID is 100% reliable, but I've found FaceID to be slightly more convenient overall.

20. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

I have no problem with them releasing new options. Matter a fact I prefer it. But when it’s new and has bugs don’t make it standard. Offer Touch ID along with Face ID. That away you can make more people happy. They would’ve sold even more X’s if they had Touch ID. I know several people that have bought the 8 Over the x because of Touch ID.

21. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I hope it works better for you, but remember that you have to train FaceID. I initially set mine up with my glasses on, because I wear glasses most of the time. At first it could not recognize me without my glasses, but after entering my pin a few times it started to work reliably whether my glasses are on, off, or sitting on top of my head. It's probably important to start the initial scan in good light, and then give it some time to learn your different looks. If you still have problems after a week or so, I'd contact Apple about a replacement.

22. cynics macrumors G4

Between two I would rather have FaceID.

My right hand thumb doesn’t work with at all, can’t even register it on any of my 3 iOS devices.

Plus I often wear gloves or my hands are filthy from work.

I don’t have a lot of experience with FaceID but from the experience of my friends that use it it would benefit me.

23. Brandonjr36 thread starter macrumors 65816

Brandonjr36

Thanks man I’ll give it another try. Hope I come to like it.
    Ok I understand that but for the gloves even if you unlock the phone you still can’t use it unless you take the gloves off right??

24. BugeyeSTI macrumors 65816

BugeyeSTI

Your phone has to be defective if you have to input the passcode 30 times a day. For comparison, I’ve never had to put in the passcode unless the phone has been rebooted.. If you still have issues after setting it up again, I’d take it in and try to get a replacement

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.