iPhone X Touch ID or Face ID

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Brandonjr36, Jan 13, 2018.

?

which would you rather have?

1. Touch ID

21 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Face ID

35 vote(s)
    62.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

I don’t disagree. It’s part of the reason why I got an 8 Plus.

2. cynics macrumors G4

I apologize I should have clarified.

First, I leverage Siri as much as possible however many functions require me unlocking the phone.

Second, the gloves are latex and can operate the phone but not unlock it.

I understand my issues are specific to my usage and everyone has their own opinions and requirements.

3. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

When I first got my iPhone X I was frustrated with it. But now I love it. I have an iPad and get very frustrated when it doesn’t unlock when I look at it and have to move my hand to the home button to unlock. Yes first world problems.

4. sean000 macrumors 65816

sean000

I have a similar problem with my left thumb! Ever since I started using TouchID (when the iphone 6 came out) it just refused to work with my left thumb, but works very well with my right thumb. My left thumb has more creases in it, but it's not like it's disfigured or anything. Just a normal 40-something year old thumb :)

I re-scanned my left thumb many times. It would successfully scan, and work immediately afterward. Then it would stop working most of the time. My iPad Pro seems to like my left thumb a little bit more, but it still doesn't work as well as my right thumb does. I guess that's why I like FaceID more. Of course FaceID works with gloves on, and you can train it to recognize you with and without glasses, shaven or not, etc. And yes, TouchID can have a problem with dirty or wet fingers and thumbs. Definitely won't work with gloves, so Winter is a good time to have FaceID.

5. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

they each have their advantages and disadvantages. In bed, pillow covering part of face: touchID wins. in winter, dry rough skin: faceID wins.

Dry bag or gloves: FaceID wins.

I think FaceiD is the future, and they did a great job for the first gen product. but it isn't perfect. there are times when I want touchid.

in the future, it should get better.

6. aevan macrumors 68020

aevan

I have very similar experiences with Touch ID. Face ID is much more reliable for me.

7. Makayla macrumors regular

Makayla

Don't have an iPhone X so I can't speak to faceID but touchID on my 8 plus and iPad Pro has failure rate higher than I would like. I get it on first try only about 50% time at best.

The good news is I do think it is slowly improving over time. Either I am learning to press it right or Apple is doing some AI learning in the background.

Anyway if your faceID works more than 50% time it would be a win in my case.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.