Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mstadnik59

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
I will be curious to follow this thread and see if more people come to realize it's not working for them reliably either. Time will tell.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Have you cleaned the sensor window? It can get greased up some. Use micro cloth and redo setup. Especially the edge portion. If that doesn't help visit apple store.

Anya B

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2013
My touch ID works flawlessly. When I entered my prints I followed some advice from a poster on here.

He said to ensure you move your finger/thumb to include the tip. I've taken 2 copies of my thumbs and 1 of my index finger. It hasn't failed once.

But perhaps you have a faulty sensor.

Nolander07

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2012
It works perfectly for me. Once when my thumb was damp it made me "try again" but that was it. I have it programmed to 4 of my fingers and they all work great. I think 7.0.3 made it even faster. Also, I was a guy who never locked my phone before touch ID, but I have become a convert, which I suppose is what Apple wanted with this feature.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
It works great for me but I don't use it because I'm forced to have the phone lock immediately with it on. I prefer 15 mins or even an hour. I juste use it for the App store now.

Baconstripss

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
Works flawlessly for me.

Do the setup this way:

Make two prints. One for your upper thump and one for your lower thump. Did that for both my thumps. Index finger is so "small" so one print should do it.

shayosef

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
Space
Just wanted to say

It's also flawless here ,got the 5S today, can't believe how well it works. Wouldn't have imagined.

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
Works flawlessly for me.

Do the setup this way:

Make two prints. One for your upper thump and one for your lower thump. Did that for both my thumps. Index finger is so "small" so one print should do it.

You shouldn't need to do this. Touch ID does not need to read your entire thumb (that's how it's spelled, by the way ;) ) every single time you unlock your phone. While I'm sure this method works and probably won't confuse the phone at all, if the only way you can get Touch ID to work is by mapping the exact same finger twice, your device might be faulty.

As with many others in this thread, mine worked flawlessly from day one. Anybody having noticeable problems with Touch ID should bring their iPhone in for repair. You guys shouldn't have to put up with this much disappointment in your new phone's core feature. :(

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Works flawlessly for me.

Do the setup this way:

I'm going to try this. Touch id has been so hit or miss that I've gotten frustrated and turned it off.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I am getting 95% with both thumbs entered once and am very happy with the results. Saw this thread and decided why not enter my thumbs twice. Sure enough I get 100% so far. :)

You shouldn't need to do this. Touch ID does not need to read your entire thumb (that's how it's spelled, by the way ;) ) every single time you unlock your phone. While I'm sure this method works and probably won't confuse the phone at all, if the only way you can get Touch ID to work is by mapping the exact same finger twice, your device might be faulty.

As with many others in this thread, mine worked flawlessly from day one. Anybody having noticeable problems with Touch ID should bring their iPhone in for repair. You guys shouldn't have to put up with this much disappointment in your new phone's core feature. :(

Sekelani

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2012
I noticed if your hands are cold or a wet the sensor won't work. It didn't work for me yesterday when u drank a nice cold coke then placed my finger on the scanner.
It's pretty sensitive to temperature

ArcAngel66

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
On one of apples support pages, it mentions that the more fingers you add, the longer it takes to recognize them. Also, it gets better over time. Lastly, when making a fingerprint, touch the home button how you normally touch it, forget what it says to do.

Baconstripss

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2011
You shouldn't need to do this. Touch ID does not need to read your entire thumb (that's how it's spelled, by the way ;) ) every single time you unlock your phone. While I'm sure this method works and probably won't confuse the phone at all, if the only way you can get Touch ID to work is by mapping the exact same finger twice, your device might be faulty. :(

This method is only for covering more of your thumb and making a more precise print for the parts. If you only make one print of your "entire" thumb that print will not be as detailed as if you make to prints of slightly different parts of your thumb.

davidjacobs21

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Is there any way to unlock the phone the regular way without a passcode but still use touch id for apps in the app store

koigirl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Raleigh, NC
I was finally able to exchange my launch day 32GB ATT silver 5s for a 64GB model when it came in stock this past Thursday. I have had trouble with Touch ID since the beginning and had tried resetting many times. My husband kept saying I was "pressing it wrong" as his worked perfectly every time. I would estimate it was working properly only about 20-25% of the time using this feature on a daily basis. In contrast, my new phone's touch sensor works perfectly on the first read 99% of the time. Obviously the sensor on my first phone was faulty. If your Touch ID is working intermittently, take your phone in and exchange it for another.
I was thinking it was a "meh" feature until I got one that actually works as advertised!

Last edited:

ucfgrad11

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2013
It looked great for the first month then it recently started sucking. Especially my fingers on my right hand. Oh ya, and if my fingers are cold it won't work.

mstadnik59

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2013
I have had my phone 3 weeks now, have deleted and re-registered my prints now 4 times in a effort to make this feature work better for me. I even restored my phone to factory default and set it up yet again yesterday. Worked flawlessly for about 15 hours when it gradually started to fail more frequently and is to the point where it is failing almost 50% of the time at the 24 hr mark. I have an appt at the Genius Bar for Monday but I have to say that if it works flawlessly at first and gradually stops working, it has nothing to do with needing to map my thumb more or that I'm not doing it right... There is either a mechanical problem or more like a software issue that it literally begins to "forget" your print rather than becoming more reliable at recognizing it over time. Very frustrating.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
The only time that I have a problem with touch ID is when my fingers get sweaty. Usually that happens after a session of gaming on my computer. You can't blame the phone, it's just the technology. Nothing is perfect.

jian

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
San Francisco
touch ID makes purchasing from iTunes a lot easier for me due to my weird and complicated iPhone serial number with case variation password...

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Try scanning your finger in the way you would pick up your iPhone with that finger.

greygray

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2009
It works perfectly for me. Try not to keep changing your prints that often, the sensor will improve in terms of reading your fingerprints overtime.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.