Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It works great for me but I don't use it because I'm forced to have the phone lock immediately with it on. I prefer 15 mins or even an hour. I juste use it for the App store now.

Could you explain this ?
Can't you set a time before the phone lock as for the security code ?

nooaah

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I had my phone replaced yesterday due to a faulty home button/touch id and it works flawlessly now. It worked 80%+ of the time before. Take your phone to a store.

ABSjazz

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2013
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Stop re-doing the setup. Each time you do that you are re-setting its learning curve. Once you've set it up use it as normal, including trying multiple times until it works. If it rejects your fingerprint, but then accepts it again in short proximity, it 'learns' from the rejected print.

+1. Set mine up once when I first got it and that was it. Has been flawless over the past few weeks/month. Definitely think its gotten better over time.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I'll take High-Technology for $199-399 on-contract, Alex.
Alex Trebek said:
Touch ID sucks

What said every Samsung engineer who tried to copy Touch ID without violating Apple's patents?

Alex Trebek said:

rpDADJYl.jpg

Last edited:

fallenapple99

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2013
I'd say it works about half of the time.

Set it up for both of my thumbs and every time I press the home button it seems to unlock my phone about half the time. It's literally 50/50 'try again' and successful unlocking.

I've tried re-doing the setup for it about 10 times now, doing exactly what it says on the screen and I just can't make it work properly.

My hands are not greasy, my 5s is perfectly clean and still it doesn't really 'just work' the way you'd expect it to. You seem to have to do it at the right angle every time if you want it to actually work properly, align your finger 20* to the left or right and it'll just say 'try again'.

I agree man, it's very random but sometimes it just doesn't work. It's super annoying, but it's just the limitations of the tech. I have big thumbs and I have to hit the sweet spot when I place my thumb on it or it will not work. If I hit the sweet spot it woks 96% if the time. I set up other fingers and it seems to get those pretty much every time, it's just my big thumb that has the most issues.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Love TouchID.

Saves me a boatload of time not having to type in my alphanumeric password when I want to unlock my phone.

Still retraining my brain for autopilot but I am 99% there.

Tech-Savvy

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
Touch ID works great. It's such a great feature. I can't wait until more security features such as passwords on websites etc can tap into this feature. My only annoyance is the fact that the AppStore keeps asking for your password at least once a day to reauthorize and after restarting your phone you must enter your pin. Not a deal breaker in anyway. Let's see what else hits in 7.1

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'd say it works about half of the time.

Set it up for both of my thumbs and every time I press the home button it seems to unlock my phone about half the time. It's literally 50/50 'try again' and successful unlocking.

I've tried re-doing the setup for it about 10 times now, doing exactly what it says on the screen and I just can't make it work properly.

My hands are not greasy, my 5s is perfectly clean and still it doesn't really 'just work' the way you'd expect it to. You seem to have to do it at the right angle every time if you want it to actually work properly, align your finger 20* to the left or right and it'll just say 'try again'.

Just got the 5s last night, was forced into the upgrade as I switched carriers and I can't unlock my 5 for 9+ days. The Touch ID works. But for me it still kinda sucks because it feels so pointless.

I'm sure there are plenty of you that love it. But besides that Space Gray is 100 times better looking than slate and the phone feels faster. This upgrade was kind of meh. Do I appreciate the new features? Yeah they're alright. Do I like them as much as the 4S to 5 upgrade. Not even close. Touch ID being the big upgrade this year, it really is just a pointless novelty feature.

rrrrrrrrrrrrrr

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2013
Yes, touch id sucks.
I get false negatives about 80% of the time.
At least it's not as frustrating as registering to macrumors forums.

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
Why should Apple enable Touch ID for more apps?

You only really need it to unlock the phone and that's pretty much it. Now, I would like Touch ID on a magic mouse.

Zimmy68

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
TouchID works great hardwarewise.
I just hate the limitations with app purchasing.

If I reboot my phone or don't update/purchase an app within a certain period of time, I need to enter in my password.
What is the point of having TouchID for purchases if I can't use it???

I realize it is some security measure they are using (which doesn't make sense since they said the fingerprint is the best password).
But at least let me have an option to use TouchID on every purchase if I want.
No matter if I reboot the phone 100 times.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
I still think its fantastic. I have never locked my phone before and now I have some security.

It works for me over 95% of the time, with the ocassional lag/failed attempt. I am happy.

If they ever decide to allow other apps to use touch ID (such as logging into my bank's app, etc) it will be even better!

macigo

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2013
I still think its fantastic. I have never locked my phone before and now I have some security.

It works for me over 95% of the time, with the ocassional lag/failed attempt. I am happy.

If they ever decide to allow other apps to use touch ID (such as logging into my bank's app, etc) it will be even better!

I don't think that will ever happen though. The only security you need to to get into the phone. And if they can't get into the phone, then why would you need touch Id got anything else?

Because if you're thinking about using it to sign into your bank, well, that could never work.

I would like to use it with Gamecenter though, or anything Apple-based.

RiddlaBronc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2013
Mcallen Tx
I for one really enjoy having it. Mine has worked flawlessly in all conditions.
Sweating,after a shower, hot and cold weather:cool:

I hope sometime in the future they incorporated into website logins on safari.
Also for opening the Messeges/picture app:)

Ke1ington

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2009
I was sitting around the 90% success rate mark except when I was at the gym. Then it would be about 5%. I ended up turning it off permanently after having to disable/reenable several times.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Mine used to work most of the time - recently 0% and I turned it off - don't know if it is winter dryness on fingers but it is worthless to me at the moment.

Junkyman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
I have to agree with the negative fraction here. Mine used to work flawlessly. However, recently (for about 4 weeks) the sensor is acting purely irratic. It works twice or thrice and then it decides to reject every single finger tip I have registered for some time - only to then work again - and so on and so on.

I do have noticed that cleaning the Touch ID every two or three times in between using the home button does improve the success rate. However, from what I can read here nobody regularly, and I mean with a frequency of every few minutes, cleans his Touch ID in between usage in order to properly use his Touch ID. And my hands are perfectly clean, I guarantee it.

I'm really frustrated here. :-(

AppleWes

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2013
I have to agree with the negative fraction here. Mine used to work flawlessly. However, recently (for about 4 weeks) the sensor is acting purely irratic...

Same here... was working great but only very recently has been acting up a lot. Nothing has changed with my fingers or usage conditions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.