Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

geenosr

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
South
I don't think people realize the number of cars that offer CarPlay. There are now well over 200 models that have it.
I agree, but my focus is on the (rare) wireless CarPlay units. As of now, I believe BMW is the only car manufacturer that offers wireless CarPlay, and Alpine is the only aftermarket unit right now.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I surprised myself last year by purchasing a Chevrolet Bolt EV. The same range as a Tesla at less than half the price, and CarPlay is supported on the large touchscreen display.

Isn't Chevy Bolt the same price as a Tesla Model 3 but with less range? Plus the Chevy Bolt has the stigma of being a low quality budget brand.

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Astounding how long it takes car companies to implement technology. They’re like geriatric panda bears reachiiiiiiiing for the bamboo on the far tree.

They thought they didn't need Apple or Google - that they could spend buckets of money and come up with their own special interface.

They were wrong, and their sales suffered for it. It was a forgone conclusion they would eventually support CP/AA, but I'm surprised it took so long. Someone was most likely 're-asigned' because of this.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
CarPlay is very disappointing. Limited apps with limited functionality. It is also very buggy and doesn’t integrate well with other radio functions like SiriusXm. A dash mounted iPhone connected via Bluetooth is a superior solution at this point.

Have to disagree. There are issues with some apps but complain to the developers. SiriusXM app is now CarPlay ready and working great. Better sound quality than satellite.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
They thought they didn't need Apple or Google - that they could spend buckets of money and come up with their own special interface.

They were wrong, and their sales suffered for it. It was a forgone conclusion they would eventually support CP/AA, but I'm surprised it took so long. Someone was most likely 're-asigned' because of this.

Rubbish, Neither CP or AA change anything in terms of what the car manufactures have to do.
Show me how on either of these "mirror devices" you change the radio? change the AC, control the cars configuration or settings.

CP is a media consumption platform to integrate you phone, not an automative systems replacement offering. Most brands have much better, slicker offering.

Last edited:

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
This is one of the reasons I just bought a Ford Edge. Out of all the cars we test-drove... it had the best Carplay setup. Honda and Subaru had "Car Play"... but it was slow and laggy. On the Ford everything is perfect (with a great stereo too). I didn't even consider any brand that didn't have Car Play

Of course, that wasn't the only reason to get the Ford: but when you're trying to decide between a few similarly specced, similarly priced cars... it's the little things that matter.

Of course Car Play has its limitations. I SO wish I could use Google Maps... but on the other hand the integration with Spotify is excellent. For me, having to use Apple Maps is a good tradeoff for a great interface to everything else.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
Have to disagree. There are issues with some apps but complain to the developers. SiriusXM app is now CarPlay ready and working great. Better sound quality than satellite.
I personally think that SiriusXM should discontinue its satellite services and focus on its streaming platform.

Reactions: Spankey

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
After Jobs made a deal with Xerox to be able to invest in Apple IPO in exchange for a visit to the famous PARC labs and Jobs got the visit he wanted : "Jobs, meanwhile, raced back to Apple, and demanded that the team working on the company’s next generation of personal computers change course. He wanted menus on the screen. He wanted windows. He wanted a mouse. The result was the Macintosh, perhaps the most famous product in the history of Silicon Valley."

Yup, that's what happened, more or less. Jef Raskin, then head of the Macintosh project, set up the Xerox PARC visit. He was already familiar with the work they were doing and he wanted Jobs' support. Steve liked what he saw so much he fired Raskin and took over the Macintosh project himself. Not one of Steve's better moments. And yes, Xerox was given the opportunity to profit from giving Apple a peek behind the curtain, but Apple didn't get any actual technology from Xerox.
[doublepost=1516038986][/doublepost]
Isn't Chevy Bolt the same price as a Tesla Model 3 but with less range? Plus the Chevy Bolt has the stigma of being a low quality budget brand.

One big difference is you can actually buy a Chevy Bolt. They beat Tesla to this market by more than a year. The range is about the same but I believe the Bolt is actually a bit longer range. Stigma? That's just a goofy argument.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Just last year at CES 2017 Toyota had doubled down on their own system. What a difference a year makes. Finally, they realize it's a big factor for car buyers. I'm sure one reason the new Camry is hurting in comparison to the new Accord on reviewers lists is just this issue. Good to see they came around.

There has been tramendous pressure on Toyota for the lack of Car Play/Android Play support compared to Honda for 2018. :apple:

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Well. It's a tribute to the American market where the iPhone is the clear market leader. I live in Europe (Germany) where the market looks quite differently and where way more people use Android than iOS. I'm pretty sure that in Toyota's home market iOS support probably isn't much more than an afterthought...

You’re right. We forget that Apple’s market dominance is primarily in the U.S.

I actually prefer my Audi’s factory navigation to Apple Maps. Its prompts are more timely/precise. The multi-lane assist graphics are clearer. And the voice quality is more mature than Apple’s chronically perky Siri.

I’ve said it before, and I’ll repeat it, there should be a singular open-source standard for all smartphones to utilize a car’s infotainment display, speakers, and steering wheel buttons.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
I agree. Manufactures should get on board with software updates to allow older cars, with the appropriate screen, to take advantage of CarPlay or other systems. How hard is it to allow the current owners download a software update on a usb stick and then update the software?
They would much rather sell you a new car than offer new upgrades to "old" cars that would cause you to wait longer to upgrade - that's pretty much the opposite of what they want.

For a while, built-in navigation systems were a huge draw they could use to get people into the new models - now, most people realize that the map app in their phone is better and more frequently updated than the one built into their car. And once they sell you a car with CarPlay, they cede a whole range of features to Apple - they can't as easily say, "buy our new car, the electronics are more shiny than last year!" Because you can keep the same car, the same phone, and just load the new iOS or some new app. I think that's a big part of the reason for the reluctance to put CarPlay into cars at the factory - it's a feature that draws in new car buyers, sure, but it also makes them less likely to come back next year. Just as the cable companies desperately want you to buy TV service from them (rather than just getting a dumb pipe and streaming what you want), and before them the phone carriers wanted you to buy $3 ringtones from their company store rather than being a dumb pipe (Apple cracked that market wide open), now the car companies want you to still rely on them for electronic wonders rather than using them as a dumb conduit to your phone.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
Wireless CarPlay and wireless charging FTW! Which car maker will be first?

BMW offers it. I have a 2018 X3 and have wireless carplay. I didn't opt for the wireless charging built into the car because I will use Waze for maps so I have a wireless charger magnetic mount in the air vent.

I am enjoying carplay but, like everyone else, wish it offered Waze or Google Maps as an alternative.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Actually I have extensive control for customizing the system in my Highlander.
I haven't navigated through all the various settings but I highly doubt I lost all that much if anything.

The largest feature I lost was the 360 birds eye view camera interface. I'm not sure if the stock head unit did the video stitching/processing or if that is handled outside of the head unit and it's just a video feed input. If it's just a video feed input I can also recover that feature/function as well.
Did the aftermarket unit allow you to access the cars settings over CANBUS?

mikecorp

Suspended
Mar 20, 2008
Please explain.
I don't have it but want to get it on my next car.
it just doesn't work, extremely slow services and when you actually need it and would appreciate it fast, there is a problem, or service is down, slow loading or my favourite you need to add security code or password.
Do not expect much. WHAT CAR ARE YOU GETTING?

extrachrispy

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico
Product development cycles are much longer in the automotive industry. But then so are product life cycles.

It is easy these days to see automobiles on the road that are ten years old. How many people on here are using a ten year old smartphone.

You [bring] up a very good issue, however. With the rate of technological change in the mobile device industry, the technology implemented today in automobiles will be obsolete by the time most people buy this model year. I am very interested to see how the automotive industry addresses this. I am also interested to see if a sub-industry springs up to provide technology upgrades to older vehicles.

It seems like Ford got it right with Sync 3. I get updates over WiFi from time to time. This is the first car I've ever had that can get updates to the infotainment system.
[doublepost=1516046110][/doublepost]
CarPlay is very disappointing. Limited apps with limited functionality.

Well, you're driving. Complicated apps with rich functionality command too much attention.

It is also very buggy

This hasn't been my experience.

and doesn’t integrate well with other radio functions like SiriusXm.

There's a Carplay-compatible SiriusXM app now.

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
Will older Toyota cars with Entune be upgradable?

Most likely not. Though if it is, you'll likely need a physical upgrade such as the USB hub or the entire head unit. My 2015 Mustang didn't get Sync 3 that supports Car Play, so I purchased a head unit off a wrecked car that had Sync 3 and after everything was installed, I just had to upgrade my USB hub to fully support Car Play.

extrachrispy

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Sacramento Mountains, New Mexico
I personally think that SiriusXM should discontinue its satellite services and focus on its streaming platform.

The news that their streaming audio actually has decent sound intrigues me.

Unfortunately for them, I swore them off forever owing to their aggressive telemarketing. EVERY DAMN DAY for weeks, until I got fed up and blocked all the numbers they were using.

CaryMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2006
Morrisville, NC
The news that their streaming audio actually has decent sound intrigues me.

Unfortunately for them, I swore them off forever owing to their aggressive telemarketing. EVERY DAMN DAY for weeks, until I got fed up and blocked all the numbers they were using.
They struggle at times and their customer service is some of the worst I have experienced but I love the music so I forgive them.

richman20

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2014
It seems like Ford got it right with Sync 3. I get updates over WiFi from time to time. This is the first car I've ever had that can get updates to the infotainment system.
[doublepost=1516046110][/doublepost]

Well, you're driving. Complicated apps with rich functionality command too much attention.

Waze is far superior to apple maps and is not available on carplay. I position my phone in the same area that a 3rd party GPS would be located and do not find that it pulls my attention away. I appreciate the notifications and real time traffic based directions that waze provides.

This hasn't been my experience.
I find the voice interface to rarely work correctly and actually find it more distracting. When the radio is interrupted by a CarPlay it never puts the radio back on. I then have to manually do that each time which I find distracting.

There's a Carplay-compatible SiriusXM app now.
I am glad to know that. I no longer have included the app in my subscription though. Does the music stream via the app or is using the car's satellite antenna? I'd prefer the later while in my vehicle.
[doublepost=1516048766][/doublepost]
Honda offers CarPlay already.
[doublepost=1516031783][/doublepost]

You only say this because you don’t have the capability. I do prefer android auto to CarPlay, though.
[doublepost=1516032121][/doublepost]
70-

Interesting that you say this because I do have CarPlay and I find it disappointing.

Buy a cheap Android phone (Moto G4 Play works just fine). Plug it in and keep in the car permanently. Use it for
Android Auto on your new head unit. You can choose between Google Maps and Waze. Much better than CarPlay.
[doublepost=1516048963][/doublepost]
Works great in all our vehicles. What “bugs” are you talking about, because I haven’t had any issues (BMW and Chevrolet).

It’s not Apples fault that Sirius doesn’t make an App to use with CarPlay.

When the CarPlay voice prompts interrupt any audio feed it never resumes the audio. I then have to re-navigate to the audio; ie after ever directional voice prompt. Apps that never load correctly. And the lack of integration with Sirius although another reader commented that it does exist now. Hopefully it uses the satellite antenna rather than cellular but I doubt that. The killer for me is being locked into Apple Maps. Not a bug, and possibly not in Apple's control but Waze is far superior.
[doublepost=1516049301][/doublepost]
If you have some constructive criticism, please share! How is it that you would like it to integrate with SiriusXM? What other apps would you like to use with it?

Waze would be a great start. When Maps provides directions it interrupts the satellite radio and then it does not resume on my car. The messaging app is basically useless. It is more distracting and takes longer than responding when you get to a safe place. Other functionality built into the infotainment system is not accessible via CarPlay its like having two operating systems on computer. It doesn't sound too cumbersome but when you are driving, I find it very distracting. You constantly have to come out of CarPlay to access the "regular" menu and back and forth.

As I understand it, Apple wanted to bring communication, navigation, and entertainment to every car via a slick interface. I think they succeeded fairly well; it’s certainly a better user experience than any other automotive infotainment system on the market. And the last time I checked, they had something like 20 third-party apps that could work through CarPlay.

I do not find it very slick. It's constant in and out of everything to get to anything and takes multiple steps. I also find it disappointing that it really hasn't improved very much since it has launched.
[doublepost=1516049447][/doublepost]
I like CarPlay. I used iHeartRadio app to listen to Christmas music while on the road with CarPlay and AppleMaps. It worked well for me. SiriusXm should offer an app so when you are using CarPlay you can also listen to SiriusXm through your iPhone.

Another reader posted that the new Sirius app integrates with it, that would be a nice improvement. I recently renewed my subscription without app access. I'd hope that the app uses the car's satellite antenna as well.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Astounding how long it takes car companies to implement technology. They’re like geriatric panda bears reachiiiiiiiing for the bamboo on the far tree.

Geriatric sloths is more like it. We just bought a new car... 2018 CR-V EX-L. My wife was also looking at the comparable Mazda, and I started to look at the Toyota alternative. I was shocked that neither of these had CarPlay / Android Auto. Its 2018... really? We keep cars for at least 5 years, so to me buying anything without this would be kind of dumb. My wife was shocked that I was black and white on this, but really? We love the CR-V. She now gets it what I was talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.