Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone-x-display-gold-250x163.jpg
iPhone loyalty has hit its lowest level since 2011 and Samsung has been the main benefactor, claims a new survey conducted by trade-in service BankMyCell.

The survey, cited by CNET, tracked 38,000 people who had traded in iPhones since October 2018 and found that 73 percent upgraded to a later model. The finding suggests iPhone retention rate is down 15.2 percent when compared with data from March 2018.

The survey suggests that 26 percent of people trading in their iPhone X moved to another brand of smartphone, whereas just 7.7 percent of Samsung users switched to an iPhone.

Using data from other companies to supplement its own findings, BankMyCell said iPhone loyalty is at its lowest since 2011, while the all-time high for iPhone retention was 92 percent in 2017, according to the survey.

That shouldn't distract from this survey's small sample size, which consists entirely of people who have used BankMyCell's own online gadget buyback and trade-in service. Claiming that its data reflects overall iPhone retention rates is therefore questionable.

BankMyCell's data also contrasts with a January 2019 CIRP survey which found that 91 percent of iOS users upgraded to another iPhone. On releasing its report, CIRP additionally said that loyalty for both iOS and Android has steadily increased, reaching the highest levels last quarter that it has ever measured.

Article Link: Trade-In Survey Claims iPhone Loyalty Down to 8-Year Low

imac ios x

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2011
Well yes. Since the iphone 4 I was with apple. Then the iphone x came and the best suddenly cost 1400$ for 64gb here. I simply didnt want to pay that ammount for a 64gb model. I usually use 200gb so needed the 1650$ model. Went for a samsung this time. 512gb for 950$ s10+. I know its not apple but the prices here for apple are just not fun anymore. Until prices for the best get reasonable again. Like the iphone 8 plus which cost realativly a lot less (1050$) for now sorry apple. Samsung it is for the next 2 years

YuniHKim

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
Apple was ‘think different’ to me and now it is ‘think same’. It was easy and simple and as jobs always said it just worked. Now settings are here and there and getting complicated and so much are following Android. I really hate those who complaining about Apple’s products. If you don’t like it, then **** off find something you like and don’t ruin Apples products.

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
Apple was ‘think different’ to me and now it is ‘think same’. It was easy and simple and as jobs always said it just worked. Now settings are here and there and getting complicated and so much are following Android. I really hate those who complaining about Apple’s products. If you don’t like it, then **** off find something you like and don’t ruin Apples products.

sounds like you need to take heed in your last sentence yourself personally.

MacClueless

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2006
not really , Samsung phones are the same price.

Hardly. For Prime day the Samsung S10 was half off just a few months after it came out. Samsung discounts FAST while Apple discounts very little.
[doublepost=1563447357][/doublepost]
Iphones have gotten too expensive and boring, not much difference in models from year to year. You get more bang for the buck with Android.
Wait for iOS 13!

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
With a iPhone X, there is nothing compelling on the Xs nor in the rumours for the X series 2. I'll go for a new iPhone once the design changes enough or something, but at this stage there is no compelling reason to upgrade like there was before, performance is pretty much spot on.

Ultramove69

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2017
Columbus Ohio, USA
Keep the more expensive model, i’m good with that and love my Max. But, there has to be a model for the everyday person who just wants an iOS experience, something in the $249 range. Charge $249 and don’t include headphones, lightning cable, or USB adapter. Most people with former phones have those already.

NBAasDOGG

Suspended
May 27, 2017
Netherlands

its features , android os catching up with iOS in many ways. if there was a good android watch (pixel watch possibly) , there would be many more moving over.

One must have lived under a HUGE rock to think there is no difference in price.
Galaxy S10 costs €633 in EU and S10+ costs €715. iPhone XS 64GB costs €1259. THATS THE DOUBLE!

Azeroth1

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
The competition continues to catch up hardware wise and the iPhone itself at its core really hasn’t changed much. New bells and whistles of course and speed, but most people probably use it today the same way they have for the past 5 years at least.

Eventually people get bored. Most people don’t care about the “new” iPhone features and the prices continue to rise. The “excitement” isn’t there anymore.

They need to get back to innovating features that people care about when they see it.

Hazmat401

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2017
Delaware County, Pa
Iphones have gotten too expensive and boring, not much difference in models from year to year. You get more bang for the buck with Android.

It’s more like.... all phones have gotten Boring

I have absolutely no problems going back and for between ANDROID and IOS

Only thing that’s keeping me attached to the iPhone is the Apple Watch

And I actually like the Samsung watch better

Reactions: timeconsumer

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA

its features , android os catching up with iOS in many ways. if there was a good android watch (pixel watch possibly) , there would be many more moving over.
if the iphone 11 will be half of the price...500$ than samsung is irrelevant

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002

They are not the same price. Consumers buy based on size and storage. Retail price in the US for an S10+ 128GB is 999, but is regularly on sale. Right now, Samsung.com has it for 799. No contract, no trade in.

The iPhone XS Max 64gb is $1100. The only sales you see here occur with trade ins or contracts/add a line.

Don't say they're the same price. Neither retail nor actual real world price are the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.