Trade-In Survey Claims iPhone Loyalty Down to 8-Year Low

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2019.

1. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

Uh, it’s been less than three years FYI.

2. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

$10/month? Which iPhone do you have? My XS Max is $60/month and I feel it's not worth what I'm paying. Not jumping ship, but lets have an honest discussion here.

3. shpankey macrumors regular

Price to performance ratio / bang for your buck just isn't there. It costs more and more for fewer/less real world, real people improvements that are compelling enough to pay that much for.

4. Heineken macrumors 65816

Heineken

Actually it’s not all about the price. As I said I personally need iPhone. If I had 500 to spend it would be a waste if I went with Android.

5. Nevaborn macrumors 65816

Nevaborn

This is easy to understand, I bought an iPhone 4 and I waited in a queue to get my hands on it. What a device, so far beyond anything that came before it. Then I moved to a 6S+ and I had the same feeling. It ticked all the boxes. Since then Apple has lacked innovation, the design has become stale and the technology has not kept pace with the competition. Battery life and capacity is compromised deliberately in a needless quest for the thinnest phone. The camera once the pride of the iPhone is now lacking behind Huawei whose phones are better value and better spec. Speaking of value while falling behind Apple is now asking more money than ever and more than your mass market consumer are willing to spend. all in all Apple have lost their way badly and are relying on their brand.

6. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

I’m not sure it matters since iPhones tend to retain much more value over time. Saving some money now means getting a lot less money later for the android device. I haven’t done the math but knowing how a Pixel or Samsung loses most of its value after just a year, my guess is it evens out.

7. teknikal90 macrumors 68040

teknikal90

from your sig, it looks like you bought an iPhone X 256gb though.
    howd you manage to move away from the imessage/facetime/app store apps ecosystem?

8. GtrDude macrumors 6502

GtrDude

Apple has 1/3rd the options to customize your phone but they have double the price.
    They refuse to learn from Samsung and Google to be flexible and give people options.

On top of that back in 2016 with the new MacBook Pro junk Timmey Cooks himself said that Apple was now going to be a “luxury brand”.
    They’re finding out how that works for them.

9. Wide opeN macrumors 65816

Wide opeN

You sir get the prize for best comment on this article!!! Apple has VERY MUCH lost it's way.

Sure Face ID is a game changer, but not of the $1000+ variety. This is all artificial on Apple part to keep Wall Street happy.

I do believe where there is smoke there is fire. Ivey leaving is DEFINITELY SMOKE!!! How much Tim Cook can mask it all, I don't know... but I think we'll find out sooner rather than later.

10. FyerFyer macrumors regular

FyerFyer

No that’s bs, it’s more expensive than £900 pounds in UK.

If you can send a link for where you can get one in Europe new for that price I’ll be maybe buying one

11. Vjosullivan, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019

Vjosullivan macrumors 6502a

Vjosullivan

Why? What will it do that iOS 12, 11 or 10 can't already do?

12. chineseguy38 macrumors regular

I have issues with Message Forwarding and has been reported to Apple Care since last October. With previous model on iOS 12. There is no issue. Only the current models have the issues. Until now still has not been fixed. They kept on saying their engineers are looking into that.

13. FFR Suspended

FFR

So 6,800 iPhone users switched to a Samsung in June, is that it?

Some people seem to be overreacting with data from one US based phone trading site.

“iPhone U.S. Market Share Remains Strong for Q2 2019 as iPhone XR Named Best-Selling Model During This Period”
    https://wccftech.com/iphone-us-market-share-q2-2019/

And the Xs max was 3rd bestselling phone in the US for the quarter ending in June.

Guess iPhone sales aren’t as bad as some keep claiming.

14. nt5672 macrumors 68000

Yeah, I know it really hard to believe that the person in charge is responsible for what happens. I know the current politically correct way of raising youths is that no one has responsibility because that implies good or bad performance and sets too high expectations. But, you know what, that is the real world, in spite of the public school system's intent.

15. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Absolutely love my max and the wife loves using her Xr. So I couldn’t disagree more with your comments but to each their own.

16. bobmepp macrumors regular

Precisely, users of the BankMyCell site have likely already decided to move away from iPhone. Many iPhone users like myself, would almost always trade directly with Apple. BankMyCell is offering $165 for an iPhone 6s plus 128GB unlocked. I traded mine in to Apple for a 256GB iPhone XR, and got $250 earlier this year. I think the trade-in for that phone is now down to $200 at Apple. Selection bias makes the survey unreflective of the real world and therefore useless for anything but click-bait. Of cource, CNET, the click-bait king, would pick up on it.

Further, the whiners about iPhone prices in this thread conveniently ignore the pathetic resale values of Samsung and other Android phones.

17. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

Has to be price related. Look at the constant price increase by Apple on the phones. Terrified to see the new prices this fall!!

18. bobmepp, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019

bobmepp macrumors regular

And that "bit too expensive" is almost fully offset by the resale value.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2019 ---
    No one else is offering usable, truly secure facial recognition, at any price. I have the XR too, and you are honestly saying you don't like the facial recognition technology? I have never seen anything work so flawlessly, day in and day out. I honestly consider it amazing. I can't imagine going back to touch recognition.

19. FFR Suspended

FFR

S10 second hand value has plummeted very quickly.

Samsung Galaxy S10 depreciated by 50% in 30 days
    https://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-galaxy-s10-depreciated-by-50-in-30-days/

20. TeamPixel macrumors member

And lack of features/ customization
    --- Post Merged, Jul 18, 2019 ---
    Well said mate

21. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Why you did dislike it?

22. anthogag macrumors regular

Some Androids did have an on-screen home button before iPhone. They copied BlackBerry 10. BB10 phones didn't have a home button.

23. Dave-Z macrumors 6502a

Thanks for asking. I dislike the quality of the screen. I came from an iPhone 7 Plus with the higher DPI and I thought this would be okay but it's not, especially for the price.

The biggest factor though is the camera. I really miss the telephoto lens. I like taking portrait shots (with and without the bokeh effect) and the single lens sucks for it. (I don't know if most people realize that the 1x lens is actually a wide-angle and the 2x is normal. Given that most phone manufacturers are putting "super-wide lens" in their phones I'm sure I'm in the minority here in that I simply do not like wide-angle for the majority of my photos.) For the iPhone XR though it really shows because the wide-angle lens distorts the picture when taking closer shots. It's just not pleasant to look at. This, along with the software bokeh are the biggest disappointments. The software bokeh sucks.

Lastly, the notch. Everyone said you get used to it. I didn't. It's been nearly a year and I still hate it. Sure, when you're reading or browsing the web it "disappears". But what bothers me is the status bar. On my previous phone (without the notch) I could see rotation lock, Bluetooth status, VPN, alarm, etc. All of that at-a-glance information is gone. I have to swipe down to activate control center to see what's going on. I think it's simply unnecessary.

I never even mentioned facial recognition on my post.

That being said, I dislike all biometric authentication because using it to replace a passcode is weakening the security of the device. It's just that it's not weak enough to matter is most cases. For the vast majority of devices I own I don't even enable it. Face ID is slower than second-gen. Touch ID but I find it substantially more reliable so the net effect (subjectively) seems better. Since I have the choice, I seldom use biometric authentication; I much prefer to simply enter my complicated passcode/password/passphrase when I need access to my devices.

In the end biometric authentication barely factors into my decision to replace my iPhone XR.

24. appleguy2019 Suspended

appleguy2019

They'll be back. And they'll beg for forgiveness. The grass (Android) is always greener on the other side when looking at it from afar. Then you get up close and realize how weed-ridden, torn up, and patchy it is. You might have a more controlled garden (iOS) at home and it may not shine in some lights, but it will be hassle free and consistently nice day-to-day. I think this is way overblown.

25. Heineken macrumors 65816

Heineken

I don't do that. My iPhone usually goes to my mum or my dad.