Trade-In Survey Claims iPhone Loyalty Down to 8-Year Low

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 68000
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra
If it weren’t for getting a $200 trade-in on my 6S for the XR, I’m not sure what I would have done. Probably would have stayed with iPhone, but got a 7 or 8 from the refurbished store. I could technically afford the best iPhone, but it’s not a great value IMO.

Heineken

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2018
For me iPhone is hands down the best smartphone, it’s in my opinion a bit too expensive, but that doesn’t mean I will just just ship to a worse alternative. I will just use my iPhone longer and next time buy a last years model.

az431

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
Well yes. Since the iphone 4 I was with apple. Then the iphone x came and the best suddenly cost 1400$ for 64gb here. I simply didnt want to pay that ammount for a 64gb model. I usually use 200gb so needed the 1650$ model. Went for a samsung this time. 512gb for 950$ s10+. I know its not apple but the prices here for apple are just not fun anymore. Until prices for the best get reasonable again. Like the iphone 8 plus which cost realativly a lot less (1050$) for now sorry apple. Samsung it is for the next 2 years
You could have bought an XR and saved money, but you convinced yourself that you had to have the flagship model.

Don’t blame Apple for your choices.
[doublepost=1563453529][/doublepost]
In the U.S. you can get an unlocked S10 right now for $500 at Best Buy. It is all about the price.
About $400 more than it’s worth. No thanks.

az431

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
iOS 13 doesn't replace the notch, missing headphone jack, the ugly camera placement or the hardware features being pulled from iPhone 11. People are slowly becoming unhappy with the direction both the hardware and software are heading (you can read it in the forums).
Forums are basically a few hundred male techies who enjoy whining, and aren’t representative of the the user base, which consists of a billion people from all walks of life.

And to underscore how silly your argument is, Apple can’t keep either AirPods and the new Beats wireless in stock, and neither can be used with a headphone jack.

It’s been almost 5 years. Time to get over the headphone jack and move on with your life.

GeoStructural

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
iOS 13 doesn't replace the notch, missing headphone jack, the ugly camera placement or the hardware features being pulled from iPhone 11. People are slowly becoming unhappy with the direction both the hardware and software are heading (you can read it in the forums).
Agree, this is the least anticipated iPhone among my tech-y friends and me. And many people judging by my online activity.

Lack of USB C, headphone jack, expensive, big notch, poor battery life, unattractive design... How can they expect to compete with that? The competition has gotten so much better.

At least they fixed the software with iOS 13 (an update that should have came out in 2015, not 2019).

XXPP

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2019
not really , Samsung phones are the same price.

its features , android os catching up with iOS in many ways. if there was a good android watch (pixel watch possibly) , there would be many more moving over.
Only price. Samsung phones are 30-50% off next day after premiere.

hagjohn

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
Forums are basically a few hundred male techies who enjoy whining, and aren’t representative of the the user base, which consists of a billion people from all walks of life.

And to underscore how silly your argument is, Apple can’t keep either AirPods and the new Beats wireless in stock, and neither can be used with a headphone jack.

It’s been almost 5 years. Time to get over the headphone jack and move on with your life.
Actually, I use my lightening headphones that came with my X, without issues. I just added that as a complaint that a lot of people have had. But thanks for assuming I’m disgruntled.

JosephAW

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2012
Still happily using an iPhone 7+ on iOS 10. Looks like my next iPhone will probably be a used X model. No way making that big of jump on price.

In a way it's Apple's own fault by supporting older devices with iOS 12 and now 13.
They need to nix all older device support for the next iOS update and require a 2019 or newer device for the iOS, App Store, iCloud, iMessage, Wallet, iTunes, Watch, FaceTime and 5G. That way if people want to keep using these features they would have to buy the next device. All other devices would just become a phone and old app repository.

PowerMacBook

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
iOS is what counts.
Price? Yes, most probably for a lot of people.

iPhone X is the very first one which I did not replace (with the XS), has each and every model since day one.
Why? Actually because it’s so damn good.

satchmo

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I'm loyal to a point...and that point begins to erode once I feel I'm being taken for granted.

Moreso, the last 5 years or so, Apple has been milking products with incremental features that leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It's no wonder why I still have an iPhone 6 and pondering if I'm going to stay.

Edit: And I’ve used nothing but Apple products for over 30 years...so there i think there is something to this story.

Last edited:

progx

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Price. That is all.
Price isn’t the issue. If you read the article, Samsung users are switching to iPhones while the base has moved onto a different brand. My guess is OnePlus for people who are smartphone junkies. Price? All these phones are expensive.

A real good smartphone starts at $800 or higher out of pocket, especially the newest model. The Note 10 is starting at $1200! You can get a decent PC or Mac for that price, they shouldn’t cost this much since it’s a g-ddamn phone.

The smartphone craze is over. No more waiting in line for the newest phone, early openings or the parade that came with it. People are holding onto their phones, too. No one is making a “must-have” device since a smartphone is still a... phone!

Everyone’s loyalty will fall backwards until something really fresh comes out.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008

5 years since what? It’s been less than 3.