Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Will fail like 3DTVs and 3D Cinemas, but at least it will serve as a slingshot.
The fixed perspective stereoscopy in 3D movies is fundamentally different than the head-tracked stereoscopy of VR.
VR can enable new kinds of experiences, not just a superficial layer of shininess that stereoscopic movies have.

That said, I never had the chance to try 3D movies at home, and I don’t think any of the streaming services had 3D content.

chkay

Suspended
May 27, 2022
They need to get that price under control, its obscene when you can pick up a decent headset for a couple of hundred these days. Sure, it might be all singing and dancing but its a very niche area so to make things financially viable you need more than 5 customers. Devs simply wont even bother investing time in a product they know theres very little return for them on, hence why even with the low-cost ones we've seen no major developers committing resources.

In the context of VR a premuim headset pricing would be $1500. At $3000 its a laughing stock.

SpringKid

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2019
I get so tired of hearing comments like this, when people spend close to 3k on a high end iPhone, thousands on a new TV or AV equipment and thousands on computer hardware. YOU might not be able to afford it, but it will sell. People spend $US19 on an Apple rag!
There's no iPhone even close to 3k, though. The most expensive one is about half of that.

ader42

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2012
I’m looking forward to this and would buy in a year or two (once I’ve saved up lol), but even I don’t foresee it being a widespread hit - it will take big use cases to make people put things on their head. I say that as a big fan of 3D blurays - which I watch via my home cinema projector and 130” screen.

It is a long game though, and has already been a long game, I even made a short film about VR in the 1990s at film school called “the drug of the future”.

As for the cost issue, $3k is a big ask, most people can’t buy a $1k iPhone outright and have to buy on a contract…

chkay

Suspended
May 27, 2022
Unless Apple figures out the motion sickness issue some people (self included) have with VR, this is going to be a non-starter for some consumers.

I still expect it to end up being the best selling VR system though eventually.
A lot of that can be solved by better refresh rates and overall better headsets. I felt awful using the Quest 2 until I picked up a 3rd party strap that moved the weight distribution to the rear, after that I stopped getting motion sickness unless I tried playing something that was far too fast and agressive to be usable on VR - some games really do not work at all in a VR setting.

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
Concerning these AR leaks, If you archive 2006 you’ll see the same exact comments about the rumored iPhone. “Not for me”, “no one is going to spend thst much for a phone”, “tell me again, why do we need this?”, “the iphone is a gimmick”, “it’s a fad”, “use it once the lost in the junk drawer”, “is that a walkie talkie?”……….pretty funny to look back now.

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
If that rumored $3000 price is real; no it won’t be a hit.

End of the day, you price high like that, you’ve got a niche product regardless of how cool it is.

The iPad, iPhone and iPod were wildly successful because they were cool, addressed a fairly ubiquitous use case, AND met a psychological, accessible price point.

Once you’re pricing north of $2000, the amount of possible buyers for anything “inessential” drops off a cliff.
Maybe for you but it’s a big world outside your front door

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
If that rumored $3000 price is real; no it won’t be a hit.

End of the day, you price high like that, you’ve got a niche product regardless of how cool it is.

The iPad, iPhone and iPod were wildly successful because they were cool, addressed a fairly ubiquitous use case, AND met a psychological, accessible price point.

Once you’re pricing north of $2000, the amount of possible buyers for anything “inessential” drops off a cliff.
If a VR headset was comfortable enough and had optics and screens good enough that I’d rather use it than my OLED TV for watching movies/shows, and I could replicate my multi-monitor desktop computer anywhere with just the headset and a keyboard, I think a $3000 cost would be justifiable. I don’t think that quality will happen during the first generation, but I hope I am pleasantly surprised.

Apple may start at the high end, but they will diversify into lower cost products. Apple does make lower volume hardware, but I don’t think they can justify a new OS and software for a niche product.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
suatmm.png

Reactions: jamesrick80
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.