Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
I did consider it. But rumors are rumors and I didn't want to return it only for the 16" to not materialize.

We'll see how much it costs, I wouldn't have wanted to spend a lot more just for that 1".
I don't know your situation so I can't say if you should have waited or not but if I were in your shoes I would definitely wait sep/oct as that is when Apple wakes up and does something. Its always WWDC, Sep/Oct and sometimes around march. So there is no way I would buy anything between these unless it was something that was just recently refreshed.
Of course, if you really needed it then it doesn't matter now so enjoy it and forget about it. ;)

Pablo.A.Pucci

macrumors member
May 11, 2016
- An improved Touch Bar would be nice

- A powerful GPU would be nice

- 4k dis display would be nice

- The return of the MagSafe would be nice

- Up to 64 GB RAM would be nice

. An efficient thermal system would be nice.

- And for the keyboard, I love the current keyboards... The only problem is the reliable issues that some users claim.

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
Any ergonomics expert will tell you that reduced key travel is a good way to cause repetitive stress injuries.
Please link the readers of this thread to a recent peer-reviewed scientific publication that confirms that, specifically the reduced key travel part. As a scientist and researcher, I'm really curious and I'd happily forward this to my colleagues in other departments and other research groups who are working on such problems.

You may enjoy the butterflies and the little bit of surprise you get each time you press a key and the letter you typed actually shows up, and shows up only once, but for the rest of us we prefer that every key press produces one and only one character on the screen, and that our fingers and wrists keep working after age 39.
Thanks, I've never had a problem with stuck keys, letters showing up multiple times or not at all. I'm also older than 39 and my fingers and wrists are still working. But then again, I'm not using my MBP as a plate while eating. I've opened up several MBPs with keyboard problems since a lot of colleagues and my students are using them. Each and every one looked like their breakfast was stuck in the keyboard.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Here's hoping for a matching monitor that is realistically priced (really don't want to have that ugly LG monitor on my desk)

I will continue to defend the LG UltraFines, especially the 5K. It's the same display as the iMac. Exact same; 5K and original LG 4K are identical to the corresponding sized iMacs.

I guess people would rather have: 1) a better looking monitor with a lower quality display or 2) no external display at all.

To each their own, but I don't understand the level of hate directed at the LG's. The displays themselves are gorgeous. The bodies housing them, not gorgeous. But what are your other options? A poorer quality 27 inch 4K display from Dell, which doesn't really deliver the best picture quality for the size (I have one of those too, and it's trash sitting next to the 21 inch LG 4k)?

For what it's worth, I thought they'd trickle the XDR tech down to a lower cost display later this year (or maybe early 2020), but those hopes were dashed when they updated the LG's.

It's either 1) UltraFine; 2) poorer quality monitor or 3) XDR.
[doublepost=1565295080][/doublepost]
I’m expecting overpriced SSD soldered to the motherboard, no butterfly keyboard, same performance as 15”. No physical function keys.

Pretty much a slightly bigger screen, different keyboard, higher price, that’s it.
FaceId.
[doublepost=1565295160][/doublepost]
How is that getting more clear? It will have up to a 8-core CPU. Are you saying it won't have a GPU?

I hope they have heavily modified the scissor switch keyboard and won't return to the 2015 wibbly-wobbly piece of cr&% of a keyboard. The butterfly is the best keyboard when it comes it typing, still disappointed they never released an external version. Would have replaced all my mechanical keyboards with it. Touchbar is a must, saves so much time. Problem is, there's no external version. 4x USB-C is fine. Hope it won't be bigger/thicker. All they really have to do is improve the screen/bezels and modify the cooling a little. But I'm afraid they have done more (and screwed it up).

As for price, 6 or 8 core machine, 32GB, 1TB drive and decent GPU for $4k to $4.5k is totally fine.

The term "Pro" is overrated. What is a pro? I've just ordered a $125k Dell box (20c/40t Xeon, 384GB RAM, 4x Nvidia V100 SMX2 with 32GB each) to do some basic computation, for more I use cloud services, because it's too expensive to buy. A laptop will never have enough processing power for heavy workloads, so one could argue if any mobile device can be pro. Then again, a person answering emails all day long can be a pro.

"Then again, a person answering emails all day long can be a pro."

Yes, I am a pro. :)

GrumpyCoder

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2016
For what it's worth, I thought they'd trickle the XDR tech down to a lower cost display later this year (or maybe early 2020), but those hopes were dashed when they updated the LG's.
They'd have to trickle it down a lot to make it cheaper. If the display performs as they claim, it's dirt cheap. It's better than a $35k reference/mastering display from Sony. The display is about performance, in the end you get what you pay for. What people want is a display designed by Apple, but the performance of Dell, LG, whatever.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
They are pushing this release hard ... I wonder why.
This is todays marketing strategy. So I guess they want to prepare everyone that "this is the one to buy".
A move to AMD instead of Intel would be interesting...

Reactions: Val-kyrie

HappyIntro

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2016
It's a new design so best to skip the first iteration anyway...

Yeah how will folks feel who purchase this 16" MBP this Fall when Apple updates the laptop to some sexy 10-nm Intel CPU and/or adds a 7-nm Navi GPU option in the Spring/Summer 2020? This cycle never ends, ha.

Last edited:

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
Oh I'm sure it will be. Probably $2,999 to start with a hex-core i7, 256 GB SSD and 16 GB RAM...
If they do this, I'll barf down my shirt... (I'll be sure to eat loads of mac 'n' cheese in preparation for release day.) There's absolutely no excuse for a hard-wired 256 GB SSD. Pure stupidity. Storage should start at 512.

kanki1985

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2013
Son of a b*tch. I just bought a 15" MBP and have hardly used it, and it's past the return window.
I bought one too, but for $2k with 512GB storage.. It satisfies all my needs and pretty powerful for what ever I plan to do and will hold me up for another 3-4 years easily. If the new one is really the same price as what I brought and can last me 6-8 years from now, I still have an option to return it to Costco, their return window is 90 days!! :)

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
What if this isn't a MacBook Pro but a product more like the original MacBook Air? The Air was a premium laptop but wasn't it lower powered than the contemporary MacBook Pros?

The 2008 MacBook Air was anemic as hell and built for those wanting the thinnest and lightest that Apple (or anyone else, for that matter) could offer.

2GB of DRAM, 80GB HDD, one USB-A port, one headphone jack and micro DVI. All for the low, low price of $1,799.00

http://browser.geekbench.com/macs/18

Reactions: mbosse

buckwheet

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2014
It’s going to cost more than that..
I wouldn't be so sure. They took a ton of heat for the price-performance ratio of the 2016 MacBook Pros. I think they "get it" and understand that people need something with better performance at a price that's more in line with machines having similar internals/configuration on the PC side. The 2016+ was far, far too expensive for what we got.... I know from experience; I bought a 2016, 15", 512 GB, and it's not a good machine for the money—not even close to the value of my previous 2012 MBP. My hope is that they're thinking of this as a machine for non-corporate Pro users, who can't afford the new Mac Pro, could benefit from portability, but don't want to sacrifice internals for slimness. That whole form vs function element was a huge pain-point with the 2016+ machines (that wasn't there with the pre-2016 MBPs), and I do think they'll try to do something to address it.

Of course, they could be so blinded by their own smoke screen that they miss the point completely, and do exactly what you're suggesting. If they do, I'll certainly be very, very disappointed and extremely pissed off, as will a huge number of other long-time users. In all likelihood, I'd buy a refurbed 2018 or 2019, in that case...

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Not in a laptop. The XDR has two fans for cooling. Keeping 1000nits for extended amount of time is going to suck up gobs more power and why the monitor has a cooling system. Apple isn't likely to bring that to any laptop any time soon.

Hook a MBP to a plugged into the wall XDR ... yes. Apple will probably increment on making that better. But the use case where "need" bleeding edge reference monitor on a laptop. Probably not. And only if Apple looks to jump into the 'luggable' , 98+% of usage plugged in laptop market. (they have basically avoid the heavier, thicker desktop replacements over the last decade or so. )

micro-LEDs that do it differently maybe is the power levels drop substantively by doing so. Will that go into the next XDR in more than several years? Perhaps.

If don't need the XDR's backlight then not a whole lot to "trickle" down here. The sheer size ? No.
Maybe the $1,000 extra matte treatment, but that would probably trickle down at almost the same price.

Reactions: BarredOwl

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
If the new bigger display has rounded corners like the iPads and iPhones then it’s a complete no-go. The rounded corners wastes too much space. And all applications and web interfaces are designed for displays with square corners.

And unlike with iPhones and iPads, Apple do not control the apis for web apps, terminal/cli apps, and many pro apps use their own display framework, which often share code based with Windows, where there are no rounded display corners.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveBerry

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think Apple is moving away from this separate product events. Since they stopped reporting sale numbers for iPhone and Mac years ago, it just makes sense to have one event for most things. It saves on cost, not only for Apple, but also journalists. Sure, its a longer event, but with this years iPhone not expecting to offer much thats really new, the variety of products for YouTubers and tech websites to review, will be satisfactory.

jaxemer83

macrumors member
May 29, 2019
Utah
I really hope this is true. I've needed a new laptop for a while, but I refuse to buy one with the current, defective keyboard.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I’m expecting overpriced SSD soldered to the motherboard, no butterfly keyboard, same performance as 15”. No physical function keys.

Pretty much a slightly bigger screen, different keyboard, higher price, that’s it.

If the following holds up and the MBP 15" is going to quickly die.

"...
At first, Lin was less confident about the death of the 15-inch MacBook Pro, but he has since doubled down, citing details from the supply chain: ... "

Lin had been tentative about the end of 15.4-inch MacBook production in his first email. In a second email he said that “it is confirmed from OEM & panel supplier” that 15.4-inch MacBook Pro production will end in November. “I am pretty sure that MacBook 15.4” will be EOL [End-of-Life],” he added.​

..."
https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/06/16-inch-macbook-pro-processor/

Then the higher price part is probably off. There is profit slop in the current MBP 15". the two port MBP 13" arrived with touch bar and no substantive price increase. Apple could do the same for the 15" with just primarily a case and screen swap. ( same CPUs and about the same GPUs with just new enclosure. If a price drift up because took away a lower previous option. )

Apple has already climbed the latter on the MBP 15" pricing and hasn't settled after a long while with the touch bar. If they are going to "Steve" the current MBP 15" then sliding the new one would be going back to the normal practice when "Steve'd" the 'old' with a gusto. 4 months and dead. That's bang bang.

Reactions: NickName99

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
If the following holds up and the MBP 15" is going to quickly die.

"...
At first, Lin was less confident about the death of the 15-inch MacBook Pro, but he has since doubled down, citing details from the supply chain: ... "

Lin had been tentative about the end of 15.4-inch MacBook production in his first email. In a second email he said that “it is confirmed from OEM & panel supplier” that 15.4-inch MacBook Pro production will end in November. “I am pretty sure that MacBook 15.4” will be EOL [End-of-Life],” he added.​

..."
https://9to5mac.com/2019/08/06/16-inch-macbook-pro-processor/

Then the higher price part is probably off. There is profit slop in the current MBP 15". the two port MBP 13" arrived with touch bar and no substantive price increase. Apple could do the same for the 15" with just primarily a case and screen swap. ( same CPUs and about the same GPUs with just new enclosure. If a price drift up because took away a lower previous option. )

Apple has already climbed the latter on the MBP 15" pricing and hasn't settled after a long while with the touch bar. If they are going to "Steve" the current MBP 15" then sliding the new one would be going back to the normal practice when "Steve'd" the 'old' with a gusto. 4 months and dead. That's bang bang.

Yep, I see no reason to keep the 15.4” one around if there’s a 16” one that’s about the same size laptop. Maybe temporarily as a more affordable option? The sooner they get these butterfly keyboards off the market, the better. That keyboard design is pretty toxic at this point, in terms of marketing, consumer trust and all that.

Reactions: gnasher729

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
Son of a b*tch. I just bought a 15" MBP and have hardly used it, and it's past the return window.

You don’t read MacRumors to get the latest updates on upcoming products? :confused:

The 16” MacBook Pro has been in the rumor mill for quite a while now.

On the other hand, you will probably want to hold on to your 15” MacBook Pro after you see the price tag on the new 16” model.

DanBig

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2011
Haha.

Hahahaha.

Hahahahahaha.

You do realize the reason RAM and storage isn't upgradeable is because they're both soldiered on to the logic board. They could easily make RAM accessible, but they're not going to. The machines would need to be MUCH bigger than they are to even allow for that. Never gonna happen. Not in a million years. Quit your dreaming.

Well, others have serviceable RAM & Storage in even thinner systems! It comes down to how the system logic board is laid out. There should be plenty of room.
[doublepost=1565303654][/doublepost]
God i hope not.

That makes no sense! If the size is larger there is no reason it can't be. Having serviceable RAM, Storage and even the battery means it will last a lot longer!

If you feel you want to throw money at Apple just do it. Some of us what the pennies to stay in our pockets without having to re-buy new systems when we need more RAM or Storage or when the battery poops out. I would rather spend a bit more up front to get that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.