Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dotnet

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Ahh plex and the video start issues. When this last happened to me I paused the video then skipped ahead 10 seconds and the video loaded. I just tried this with my ATV4K and it worked. Have not tried it with the ATV4 yet.

Interesting, I never had issues like that before.

To further my post above I noticed Plex just pushed an update. I tried on my ATV4 and had no video issues.

Even more interesting! I shall get straight to updating it...

DimaVR

Suspended
Nov 14, 2017
This entire imessage issue with Beta two is a big bug, i worked on it from 7 PM EST to 6 AM EST time and the only way you can come close to get it to work with out a lag on your phone is to setup a phone wipoing it and set up as a brand new device. One you get to a screen where it says Imeesage Authentication and you get ! over the messages app, you need to HARD RESET THE PHONE and then the phone part of the imessages will start to function and not LAG! and you will get a promt on the MAC OS to synch up your phone ID to use with imessages, now you also have to remove the number on your iphone and add back in for it to synch up with the mac OS, but there is always a but, the MAC OS still has the oiption grey and you cannot select ENABLE IMESSAGES IN THE CLoud, no matter what I do, clean for mat reinstall of the OS, wiping phone new isntall no data restored that option is greyed out, but it does get the system to the point where it's stable and does not lag on the messages just the Icloud part is broken still!!!!!!! big big issue and need to be fixed ASAP for BETA 3 release for sure...

JJW86

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2015
That’s not the motion smoothing effect that’s how it looks. You are used to your tv not playing shows in the proper format and have gotten used to them being displayed incorrectly.

24fps has been used in films and television for decades upon decades. The majority of tv shows and movies are filmed in that format and you are only now getting to see how they are supposed to look. Back and I mean way back in the day that format was decided upon because it had the best mix of lifelike movement and cost. People became so used to that format that it just kept being used. There is media that isn’t (like the hobbit which was 60fps and one of the first movies to embrace it on a large scale and critics were not a fan because it took away from the imagery and fantasy aspect) Cameron will be releasing the new avatar movies in 120fps which will be the first major movie release to do so (I could be mistaken here).

Some new tv shows film in higher frame rates but higher frame rates are mostly used for reality tv, sports and newscasts. The main thing is movies and tv shows aren’t supposed to be real they are a stylized look at a topic / event and the artistic aspect of film is to make sure you can tell it is stylized and that’s what 24fps does. We perceive it as different then how we regularly see the world because in real life our brain and eyes processes at a higher frame rate then 24fps.

I found the problem, i enabled an unverified frame rate. I reset it and turned on frame rate match without the unverified frame rate and it looks much better.

Last edited:

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
Anyone having issues getting the latest TVOS beta?

My device keeps saying I have the latest OS installed but clearly do not.

iOSBry

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
No problem updating my Apple TV 4K to tvOS 11.3 beta 4.

Seems it’s good - may have fixed a Sling TV app repeat issue where a few seconds of audio/video would repeat every 30/60 seconds!

Edit - Sling TV audio/video still repeats every 30/60 seconds.

iOSBry

Last edited:

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
Beta 4 seems to be a bit problematic, lots of hangs and pausing when attempting to move around the GUI or within apps.

iOSBry

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland
Didn’t notice any lag last night though only part viewed a movie rental
I’ve left match resolution option set to off to avoid UI black screens as suggested via another thread.

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
Any of you using Sling TV on your Apple TV?

Since the last Sling TV app update, I have a consistent repeat of two/three seconds (every couple of minutes) of audio/video on virtually every channel or on demand content.

Wondering if anyone else is having this issue - I’ve had a case open with Sling for three to four weeks now but no resolution yet.

iOSBry

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
One issue I still have with this beta, as has been the case in them all, is that I cannot set frame rate match and source content match independent of each other - for example, I *want* my Apple TV to auto-detect when something is HDR or Dolby Vision automatically, but I want to force the ATV to stick at 60Hz. However, if I turn off frame-rate auto-detect, it won't playback Dolby Vision at all, defaulting to HDR even on DV material.

Very odd indeed.

seanrt

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2015
USA
Public Beta 4 now out.
I still have a problem with the TV app and ITunes movie/TV shows always marking an episode as watched when finished. I also keep getting an introduction to the app screen when it’s launched.

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
Hey just curious about the Beta. Are you still able to run TestFlight and access other beta apps if you're running TvOS Beta?

geesus

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2015
One issue I still have with this beta, as has been the case in them all, is that I cannot set frame rate match and source content match independent of each other - for example, I *want* my Apple TV to auto-detect when something is HDR or Dolby Vision automatically, but I want to force the ATV to stick at 60Hz. However, if I turn off frame-rate auto-detect, it won't playback Dolby Vision at all, defaulting to HDR even on DV material.

Very odd indeed.

Sorted it. I don't think my 2016 OLED supports DV @ 60Hz which could be why it won't auto-switch to it. Doh!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.