Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Polymorphic

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2010
The entire PC market is down right now. Tablets get a lot of the blame, but I think they are only indicative of a larger "problem," namely that if tablets are good enough for mainstream computing, so are four-year-old computers.

The comment that computers like the rMBP are "a bridge too far" for many is dead-on. Not only do these machines cost too much for the majority of the middle-class people I know, but I think the Mac's value proposition is waning. It used to be that you bought a Mac for maximum longevity. Now...well, see the previous paragraph.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
I don't need a Pro, but I'm not getting Air because the silver edge of the screen is FUGLY.

I don't mind the silver, but I do think a MBA in black aluminum (a la iPhone 5) would be SWEET looking. Maybe they're waiting until they can ramp up LiquidMetal to change the shell.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I just hope the Haswell rMBP still has a discrete GPU.

No need to "hope". The 15" will, as always, have a discrete GPU. 13" probably not, as usually, but would be a good separation between the 13" MBA. If Apple were to not sell any laptop with a discrete GPU they would kiss pro and prosumer users good bye for good. Not happening.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
I'm saying that even the latest CPUs are way too slow.

No they're not. Not for most people, anyway. Perhaps too slow for the price, that is definitely true in which case the problem is price not cpu speed.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Apple have done well, but they've taken their eye off the ball, become too complacent, resting on their laurels, and now the competitors have struck back; and as apple fans try other products (like the better HTC One or S4) people are no longer brainwashed and are starting to realise there are other (sometimes better) choices. That's what happens when you become complacent Apple!

Brainwashed? So you're basically calling Apple users stupid or ignorant? Nice.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
if mac pro is any indication, there will be redesigns of the mac line in the near future

The iMac was just redesigned. The mini and rMBP are fairly fresh. The only computer that hasn't had a major overhaul is the MBA and given it was just updated that's at least 6-8 months away.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
When Apple declared the post PC era to have started, they were compliant with SEC rules.

The future has arrived.

We still need PC's and servers, but handtop supercomputing has pushed the mass volume aside.

Invest in servers and personal device companies. Use PC's for content creation.

Rocketman

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Oh really. The average Joe cares about an optical drive? I've only used mine once the entire year. The issue is tablets are eating away sales, especially considering an iPad costs 500 bucks less than the air. The entire pc market is down, and of course macs will take the biggest hit as the costliest of the market.

Where is the evidence that Mac sales are declining more than PC sales? Whose data are you basing that off of?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
No they're not. Not for most people, anyway. Perhaps too slow for the price, that is definitely true in which case the problem is price not cpu speed.

CPU speed has been stagnating for years. It has not kept up with the power user's needs.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Apple have done well, but they've taken their eye off the ball, become too complacent, resting on their laurels, and now the competitors have struck back; and as apple fans try other products (like the better HTC One or S4) people are no longer brainwashed and are starting to realise there are other (sometimes better) choices. That's what happens when you become complacent Apple!

Yup, i forgot. Macs are SUPPOSED TO compete against the HTC One and the S4.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
To be honest, when my new iMac comes in (fusion drive, 16GB RAM, 650M), I may return it. I really don't think I should have spent $1800 after tax on a computer with 5200RPM drive, fusion or not. I think I need to wait and see if the 2013's on the SSD standard or at least come with a 7200RPM drive.

In fact, what I was so irritated about was that the 21.5 DOES come with an SSD only option, but they want $300 on top of the $1499. So let me get this straight: I build a computer with a HARD DRIVE and it costs $1500. Ok cool. But then I opt for an SSD, it costs another $300? What about the discount for the HARD DRIVE that got replaced? Did Apple forget I'm basically "returning" the hard drive? They basically are saying we are still charging you for the HARD DRIVE even though you are not getting one.

Apple is being to sneaky/greedy with their pricing and it's turning people off.
I'm a little confused by your description. Fusion drive is a cost saving way to get both the benefit of the SSD speed and the larger storage capacity of a hard drive. Going all SSD isn't simply removing the hard drive. It's adding on a lot more SSD capacity. And since SSD capacity costs a lot more than hard drive, it *should* cost more.

Harrycooke

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2012
London
I don't mind the silver, but I do think a MBA in black aluminum (a la iPhone 5) would be SWEET looking. Maybe they're waiting until they can ramp up LiquidMetal to change the shell.

I agree, a black Air or rMBP would be beautiful.

But that silver is the one thing that really puts me off with an Air, if it was black i would have one by now and wouldn't be stuck with my crappy Dell laptop.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
CPU speed has ben stagnating for years. It has not kept up with the power user's needs.

I agree. FOR THE POWER USER. What about the other users who are not necessarily as familiar. Also, why have sales been increasing despite that for the last few years? They decreased this year as the tablet market grows more and more and people have far cheaper options.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Shouldn't we all just wait for Apple's official quarterly report to be issued & open for analyst Q&A as has been done historically before jumping to conclusions?:confused:

That would be the logical thing to do. We'll get real numbers tomorrow. Not guesstimates from Gene Munster.

blabliblu

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2013
It's funny how completely delusioned fanboys on this board still have NO CLUE about the reasons why Apple sales are down and WILL CONTINUE to get lower.

Every other normal/smart people on other blogs/boards, people like me who have used Mac for 10 years or friends who are still using PCs know EXACTLY why.

But it baffles how people in here lack so much of intelligence (not counting the Apple PR registered since 2003 or 2005 who help brainwash and spread BS in the mind of ignorant newcomers) and still fall for the marketing BS based on absolute emptiness of a once great brand that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING good anymore (wether the over price, the lack of true innovation, the ultra weak hardware and updates).

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
If it is any indication, it will be for the worse, as usual.

The pc market is in serious trouble. I don't know that Apple would be willing to invest in a complete redesign of a macbook when a tablet easily replaces it for many people.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Personally, my workhorse is a 2011 Sandybridge 15" MacBook Pro.

Would I like to upgrade? Yes. It is even remotely feasible? No.

Here's why:

-I got mine refurbished from Apple for around $1,700.

-Few weeks later, got 16 GB of RAM for about $50.

-Few weeks later, got a 256 GB SATA III SSD on sale for about $250.

So I'm in $2000 tops on this machine. You can't get even an off the shelf Non-rMBP with that much RAM or SS storage for $1999.

The rMBP is just too damn expensive. And if I were to upgrade my current machine at all, the new machine would have to be a Retina, and would have to at least out-spec it. But, I don't expect to spend more than $1999 to accomplish all that....but in reality, I would have to. So, no upgrade for me...whether they update them soon or not.

I will NOT buy a rMBP until they ditch the old non-rMBP models and drop the Retinas into those respective price points.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
It's funny how completely delusioned fanboys on this board still have NO CLUE about the reasons why Apple sales are down and WILL CONTINUE to get lower.

Every other normal/smart people on other blogs/boards, people like me who have used Mac for 10 years or friends who are still using PCs know EXACTLY why.

But it baffles how people in here lack so much of intelligence (not counting the Apple PR registered since 2003 or 2005 who help brainwash and spread BS in the mind of ignorant newcomers) and still fall for the marketing BS based on absolute emptiness of a once great brand that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING good anymore (wether the over price, the lack of true innovation, the ultra weak hardware and updates).
Idk what you're talking about. What part of the entire pc market is down don't you understand.

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009

I guess this means I'm neither normal or smart. Now I'm sad. :(

I'm genuinely curious - why do you bother registering and posting on a Apple forum?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.