Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
@LizKat Sounds terrible ... we were here yesterday ...

39664508570_e98cf937c3_h.jpg

Man... I'm ready to walk there and lose my parka along the way somewhere.

Complete WTH about the photo quality[?]

never mind that, it looks good enough to me!
[doublepost=1523802712][/doublepost]
I remember when in mid-April, Winter was over! When we lived in Minnesota, usually about this time of year, the nursery’s would be open and people would be browsing the plant isles, even though the last freeze date is something like 15 May. We have friends flying down from Minneapolis to visit us today and they got a big dumping yesterday.

I think @Gutwrench alluded to some snow heading into that area the other day.

Well here I've seen enough one-day previews of spring to dust off the seed catalogs and start reading them. I don't plant out until after Memorial Day and at that for some stuff it's good to figure on using coldframes. Our mean date for last frost is around June 12th.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Are you in the low 80s? In East Central Texas, it’s been unseasonably cool, and the high were in the low 70s. I’ve noticed the weather people here never mention cold fronts. Just that it’s going to be cooler tomorrow. I find that a bit odd after living up North for 3 decades where warm and cold fronts were standard terms.

Yeah, it's been occasionally peaking in the very low 80s, with a +- of 2-3 degree as you move away/closer to the coastline. Other than very mid-day, mostly in the very high 70s which is fantastic, also the humidity has been low.

Reactions: Huntn

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I think @Gutwrench alluded to some snow heading into that area the other day.

I’ve been in the Twin Cities for 9 years and winter isn’t over until the first or second week of May...and the pools open on Memorial Day. Spring lasts until July 3. Summer is July 4, then autumn sets in.

I don’t know how much we actually got here in the south metro. Maybe 8-12 inches? 1-3 more to fall today, but it’s all back to normal. I predict 80% will be gone by week’s end. The last 20% will hang on until June. *sigh*

EBDFF7B3-8094-4586-A0CB-139E7368D5C3.jpeg

Reactions: LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Yeah, start heading this way, by the time you get here, you'll be 90% clothes free :D

Ah for the days of living in a pre-war NYC building when it was 90ºF in January in the bottom half of the building -- all thanks to steam heat radiators and little old ladies up in the penthouses in the upper reaches, banging on the risers to let the superintendent know they were cold. I had to open my windows sometimes and at that I was in T-shirt and shorts.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ve been in the Twin Cities for 9 years and winter isn’t over until the first or second week of May...and the pools open on Memorial Day. Spring lasts until July 3. Summer is July 4, then autumn sets in.

I don’t know how much we actually got here in the south metro. Maybe 8-12 inches? 1-3 more to fall today, but it’s all back to normal. I predict 80% will be gone by week’s end. The last 20% will hang on until June. *sigh*

View attachment 758365
Interesting, I lived in the South Metro, first Apple Vally, then Rosemount. I moved there in 1986 due to my job. :)

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Last week we were enjoying mid-90s, then a cold front moved in and the high dropped to mid 60s. We're already over 80 today.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
We've had a few spikes in the mid to high 80s, sometimes in the low 90s. It's been rather cold otherwise. Those days took us by surprise. Though I think @rhett7660 had it worse on those hot days. I'd welcome a cool summer like last year than a hot one.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Haha, weather whiplash. Good expression.
Had that a few rounds with lots of snow here before spring started to arrive.
Pretty stable spring now. 45-65F.

Reactions: Septembersrain

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
We've had a few spikes in the mid to high 80s, sometimes in the low 90s. It's been rather cold otherwise. Those days took us by surprise. Though I think @rhett7660 had it worse on those hot days. I'd welcome a cool summer like last year than a hot one.

We hit 98 during that hot spell. Talk about coming out of no where. The news was saying it was supposed to be in the high 80's low 90's. Boy, where they off by a few degrees! It has been cooler over the past few days though, mid 80's.

Reactions: 0388631

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
I think we're right behind you. Yesterday it was 80. Today it's 54. My closet is having a nervous breakdown.

Having turtlenecks and tank tops in the same wash load is one thing. Trying to make them share the same at-hand storage area does not compute in my household. This is the month we do usually "switch the closets" around here (with a handful of selected colder-weather items kept handy) but it's turning out to be a very bumpy ride this year.

Somehow today it's snowing with the high later to approach 51ºF. Don't think it will get there...

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Any climate shock on you’re part when you first arrived? :)

Not really. I’m an Iowa farm boy. Moved to SF in my early 20’s and was back in Iowa for a couple years before sneaking into Gopher country. The Twin Cities weather isn’t more harsh than Iowa but lasts longer. That’s tiresome. As you know, the summers here are spectacular! Winter driving is far easier here than in Iowa.

Reactions: 0388631 and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Not really. I’m an Iowa farm boy. Moved to SF in my early 20’s and was back in Iowa for a couple years before sneaking into Gopher country. The Twin Cities weather isn’t more harsh than Iowa but lasts longer. That’s tiresome. As you know, the summers here are spectacular! Winter driving is far easier here than in Iowa.
I liked Minnesota because in the Summer, the severe weather mostly was South and in the Winter, it was not unusual for the the big storms to miss us to the South. Specifically in relation to the Southern suburbs it seemed that most of the severe weather that did arrive went North across Hennepin County to miss Dakota County.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gutwrench

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
There's nothing to run into or over in Iowa, though.

Reactions: Gutwrench

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
We hit 98 during that hot spell. Talk about coming out of no where. The news was saying it was supposed to be in the high 80's low 90's. Boy, where they off by a few degrees! It has been cooler over the past few days though, mid 80's.
Yeah. I stopped following the local stations years ago and go by TWC now and their website. Mostly their website. It hit around 78 one of those mornings on a Saturday, I believe. It was the first time I ran the AC in months. Most of November was terribly warm, too. Compared to last year's freezing rain around the holidays.

No matter what you use in remodeling or a new construction, even with space age materials, it gets hot enough to overcome what protection you've built in.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I liked Minnesota because in the Summer, the severe weather mostly was South and in the Winter, it was not unusual for the the big storms to miss us to the South. Specifically in relation to the Southern suburbs it seemed that most of the severe weather that did arrive went North across Hennepin County to miss Dakota County.

Did you land in Apple Valley via Northwest? This is such a lovely area. Ten minutes to the MOA, fifteen to MSP, no crime, and open space & trails everywhere.

There's nothing to run into or over in Iowa, though.

There’s cows there!

Reactions: Huntn and LizKat

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Meanwhile....this has been one of the WARMEST winters in Colorado.

:D Somebody bumped the table after they handed out the toys this year. We found what you guys lost. First time since 2013 I'm going over my fuel contract by time they top off end of April, and I mean in an appreciable way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.