Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ratty

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Hampshire, UK
Unpacked my DLXLL 128 cellular silver rMini. If I was being fussy there's a SLIGHT yellow tint at the bottom, but nowhere near as annoying as the left yellow tint my air had. Not noticed any annoying gamut-gate

Will bake the screen overnight and see if it improves, but even if it doesn't, it's a keeper.

Overall, very happy.

Mine's much the same, slight yellowing at the bottom, nothing much to worry about. I wonder if it's got anything to do with positioning of the back light LEDs?

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Mine's much the same, slight yellowing at the bottom, nothing much to worry about. I wonder if it's got anything to do with positioning of the back light LEDs?

It's got everything to do with that I believe. Not sure what is causing the yellowing though, it could be some seal that is not close properly, it may be a yellow hue from the LEDs themselves or it may be some other factor like light shining through the adhesive which is not yet cured.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
It's got everything to do with that I believe. Not sure what is causing the yellowing though, it could be some seal that is not close properly, it may be a yellow hue from the LEDs themselves or it may be some other factor like light shining through the adhesive which is not yet cured.

I go with adhesive. Not between the glass and the screen, as the iPads aren't laminated, but maybe on the LEDs themselves. My Air had horrible yellow, but after baking the screen for a couple of nights, it's hardly noticeable now.

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
I think the opinion about the colour is somewhat subjective, if you had nothing to compare it to you would probably not notice it.

My old Mini that I passed down to my parents is something I was going to compare it to when I see them at christmas. If the colour were the same as the Mini I'd be fine with that.

Well, rMini (64GB cellular SG) seems to have bedded in fine. DLXL screen which seems good to excellent with no noticable tint. I tested for image retention for 5 mins at 100% brightness and whilst it was there, it faded after a few seconds. That 100% brightness makes your eyes bleed so unlikely to ever be an issue on my rMini.

I'm just worried about in light rooms where the brightness will be ramped up. I'll have to buy Apple Care+ and hope for the best.

jamescwarren

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2005
Isle of Man
Hey everyone. Just to let anyone know who's worrying about when their mini will finally arrive, I was in the same boat but I've just had mine delivered!

I ordered a white 64 GB Cellular mini with retina at 9 AM on launch day, and it was still processing until yesterday lunchtime - the 10th business day after ordering. It went to dispatched by early evening and arrived here at my flat in Edinburgh just after 11 AM!

Interestingly, the shipping information I got told me that it was being delivered by Syncreon, not UPS, which is who usually delivers any Apple products I've ordered. And the tracking information started from in the UK. My guess is Apple must have sent a batch over to the UK and then distributed them from here! Just want to give the rest of you guys waiting some hope. I've read on this thread that once your status changes to 'Prepared for dispatch' that things move pretty quickly, and I'm glad I can confirm this! The iPad has no noticeable faults. No dents, and the screen looks flawless :) Good luck!

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
Got my space grey rMini from Tesco last night. £260.10 with my mates staff discount and that £30 off coupon code they have. Really happy with it. But I'm coming from an iPad 2 so a big difference :)

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
My old Mini that I passed down to my parents is something I was going to compare it to when I see them at christmas. If the colour were the same as the Mini I'd be fine with that.

I'm just worried about in light rooms where the brightness will be ramped up. I'll have to buy Apple Care+ and hope for the best.

The colours between my Air and rMini are slightly different, but does it bother me? No.

I use about 6 different LCD displays in the course of the day, and each is different.

I take it for what it is. There's a distinction between "crap" and "different"

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Mine has now dispatched with an estimated delivery of tomorrow so it does look like it's coming from within the UK like other have suggested.

----------

The colours between my Air and rMini are slightly different, but does it bother me? No.

I use about 6 different LCD displays in the course of the day, and each is different.

I take it for what it is. There's a distinction between "crap" and "different"

Oh I know the Air is better, I could see the different between the old mini (rMini is not on display where I live) and the air, but the old mini is good enough for me. I'm just wondering if the colour between the old mini and rMini are the same. If they are, I'll be happy with that. ;)

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
14 days from the Buy button to my door for a wonderful Space Gray 128GB Wifi.

I had the Air for a week before buying the rMini and the display and gamut looks good to me.

Ratty

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Hampshire, UK
An 'interesting' problem has developed.

New rMini arrived this morning, screen kind of OK, went to purchase AppleCare+ where Apple have to run remote diagnostics and it fails! In fact it would not run their remote diagnostics at all, they tried for an hour with all sorts of setting changes at my end. On the surface the Mini looks and performs OK.

The result is that they are going to have to send me a replacement as a priority and collect the suspect one. They are also going to send me 128gb version instead (I have to cough up the extra of course).

Oh well......

:rolleyes:

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007

New rMini arrived this morning, screen kind of OK, went to purchase AppleCare+ where Apple have to run remote diagnostics and it fails! In fact it would not run their remote diagnostics at all, they tried for an hour with all sorts of setting changes at my end. On the surface the Mini looks and performs OK.

The result is that they are going to have to send me a replacement as a priority and collect the suspect one. They are also going to send me 128gb version instead (I have to cough up the extra of course).

Oh well......

Whoa, hold up. I remember reading on Reddit that tonnes of people were having the same problem with diagnostic, the strong suspicion being there's a software issue. If you're satisfied with your iPad I suggest you hold fire returning it and research other peoples experiences.

Unrelated, but I wanted AppleCare+ a week after buying a 5S. I took it into the Apple Store, he had the most cursory of glances at it and authorised it without the diagnostic.

adamgbiggs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2013
UK
Whoa, hold up. I remember reading on Reddit that tonnes of people were having the same problem with diagnostic, the strong suspicion being there's a software issue. If you're satisfied with your iPad I suggest you hold core returning it and research other peoples experiences.

Unrelated, but I wanted AppleCare+ a week after buying a 5S. I took it into the Apple Store, he had the most cursory of glances at it and authorised it without the diagnostic.

This ^ I'd take it into a store to get the AppleCare +

Ratty

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Hampshire, UK
Whoa, hold up. I remember reading on Reddit that tonnes of people were having the same problem with diagnostic, the strong suspicion being there's a software issue. If you're satisfied with your iPad I suggest you hold fire returning it and research other peoples experiences.

I did read somewhere that there were problems running remote diagnostics but it's a bit of a quandary as to whether to go ahead and let them replace it or not. Apple spent an hour trying to understand the issue, we tried emote diagnostics on my Air and this ran OK but would not run on the Mini so not sure that software is the issue here (unless it is entirely Mini related).

It was Apple that pushed to exchange it and offered me the chance to upgrade if I wanted (I did think about the 128gb when I first ordered as my current 64b is stuffed to the top) and they also hinted at giving me fee AppleCare+ for all the bother. Anyway they are working at sorting it and priorities a replacement so I will let it run it's course at the moment.

----------

This ^ I'd take it into a store to get the AppleCare +

My nearest Apple store is not local unfortunately and it would take me half a day or so to get over there and back. The timing at the moment is not good either.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
@Ratty

Fair enough. Plus, if you're feeling the need to change model you may as well go ahead.

UncleSimit

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2011
Just got back from the Apple store in the Trafford Centre and they have Retina Mini's for sale without reservation. However, when I asked if they had any 128GB models in stock, they told me "no such model exists, they only go upto 64GB" :rolleyes:. After explaining how they were wrong, they checked it out and were out of stock stock anyway....

Ratty

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Hampshire, UK
@Ratty

Fair enough. Plus, if you're feeling the need to change model you may as well go ahead.

It's the case of the devil if you do or the devil if you don't.

I did email the customer support person I am dealing with about the story of remote diagnostic failure being reported.

----------

Just got back from the Apple store in the Trafford Centre and they have Retina Mini's for sale without reservation. However, when I asked if they had any 128GB models in stock, they told me "no such model exists, they only go upto 64GB" :rolleyes:. After explaining how they were wrong, they checked it out and were out of stock stock anyway....

There's a knowledgeable bunch there then.

Doesn't inspire a lot of confidence!

Ratty

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Hampshire, UK

Oh well......

Interesting, just read this:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1677384/

Quote:

'Just finished my scheduled call with support. Good thing is that they did not ask me any other testing. They say this is now a known problem on rMini and that they are waiting for a feedback from engineers. Replacement does not seem like the solution which I am glad. I should have news within the next 48hrs. '

TripleMoxy

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2012
UK
Finally received my replacement 128GB LTE rMini. This one doesn't seem to have any yellow-tinted areas although I'm not sure whether there is a faint yellowish line at the very bottom... It's become an obsession. :(

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
128GB rMini with wifi + cellular?

Hi
I'm just wondering if a) are people getting their apple orders for these coming through .. I've seen a few posting but not sure if they're the cell versions and b) are these models available anywhere online at all? (I've hunted argos, John Lewis and all the usual suspects to no avail)

Last edited:

OzyOly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2009
Hi
I'm just wondering if a) are people getting their apple orders for these coming through .. I've seen a few posting but not sure if they're the cell versions and b) are these models available anywhere online at all? (I've hunted argos, John Lewis and all the usual suspects to no avail)

Yeah, these are the Cellular models finally tricking through from Apple.com. I don't know of any online, but there are a few in Apple stores now. You can check online to see what your nearest store has.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yeah, these are the Cellular models finally tricking through from Apple.com. I don't know of any online, but there are a few in Apple stores now. You can check online to see what your nearest store has.

Today was the first time I've seen 128 cellulars available for in-store reservation. I only checked on the off chance as I was up early for work, and snagged one at the Basingstoke store.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
My 32GB Silver rMini Cellular was delivered today (ordered on Monday) from EE!

First impressions the screen is amazingly beautiful! It's a Sharp manufactured one according to the serial. Don't know whether that's good or bad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.