Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

What model are you getting?

• Total voters

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
I have the Orbi with Wi-Fi 5. It’s good, but the only issue is the back haul limits me to a max of 500Mbps, even though it connects at 1700Mbps between router and satellites. Long term I want to run cat 6E around my house and use that for back haul.

Yeah, wish I’d had the foresight to have run the cable when we moved in a few years ago. No way I’m pulling up carpets and floorboards now.

We’re in a new build and they’ve done some random runs of cat5e in 2 locations… no where near where I want them.

I’ve got the satellites in a combo of wired and wireless backhaul and works great

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
£1699 for Wifi boxes?! Damn.

Not just any Wi-Fi boxes

It’s definitely a long term investment and future proofing me for the next 10+ years hopefully!

They’ve just dropped a bunch of Wi-Fi 7 mesh systems at CES! Hate to see what price they come in at

But the orbi has been amazing, multiple 4K stream, boy online with the ps5 and me general surfing and it doesn’t even blink.

Given todays new MacBooks have dropped 6e I can image 6e finally making the pro phones too.

But, I understand, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea

Reactions: UltraInstinct

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Yeah, wish I’d had the foresight to have run the cable when we moved in a few years ago. No way I’m pulling up carpets and floorboards now.
I’m looking at the to aerial point, which runs from the living room beside where the Internet comes in up to the attic where the aerial is. There will be a cable running that way so hopefully I can use the same route. I may have to cut plasterboard squares out at various points where there are battens but as long as the square is neat, the plasterboard can be fixed back onto the batten and patched. Then it’s just a case of dropping cable down to rooms where I want it.

It sounds easy, it will probably be a nightmare!

Reactions: Jinjin

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
I’m looking at the to aerial point, which runs from the living room beside where the Internet comes in up to the attic where the aerial is. There will be a cable running that way so hopefully I can use the same route. I may have to cut plasterboard squares out at various points where there are battens but as long as the square is neat, the plasterboard can be fixed back onto the batten and patched. Then it’s just a case of dropping cable down to rooms where I want it.

It sounds easy, it will probably be a nightmare!

Those extendable wire fishing rods for running scales are a godsend.

Reactions: Azzin and fat jez

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021

Anybody who's in the market for the M2 Air might consider this for £210 more...

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Those extendable wire fishing rods for running scales are a godsend.

Ta.

I’ve borrowed an endoscope from my dad too, so I can take a look inside the wall and see how big the hole through the battens is for the to aerial cable. . It uses the iPhone or iPad as a display.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Not just any Wi-Fi boxes

It’s definitely a long term investment and future proofing me for the next 10+ years hopefully!

They’ve just dropped a bunch of Wi-Fi 7 mesh systems at CES! Hate to see what price they come in at

But the orbi has been amazing, multiple 4K stream, boy online with the ps5 and me general surfing and it doesn’t even blink.

Given todays new MacBooks have dropped 6e I can image 6e finally making the pro phones too.

I have the Google WiFi boxes and honestly they work perfectly, I’m not sure how much difference £1,699 boxes would make. 😅

Jinjin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 22, 2011
London, UK.
I have the Google WiFi boxes and honestly they work perfectly, I’m not sure how much difference £1,699 boxes would make.

I’m donating mine to my parents. Had nothing but issues, freezes and drop outs between satellites.

One month of hassle free orbi so far.

The godsend of the satellites actually having Ethernet ports is great too, was able to ditch a couple of unmanaged switches from the network which had simplified things

Reactions: UltraInstinct

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I’m donating mine to my parents. Had nothing but issues, freezes and drop outs between satellites.

One month of hassle free orbi so far.

The godsend of the satellites actually having Ethernet ports is great too, was able to ditch a couple of unmanaged switches from the network which had simplified things
I honestly haven't got a bad word to say about mine, I pay for 250mb broadband and that's what I get throughout the house with my Google wifi boxes. 🤷‍♂️

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Not just any Wi-Fi boxes

I considered those, but couldn't justify the price, despite the excellent reviews.

Ended up buying a Linksys Velop Wifi 6, easy setup and consistent speeds, but kept losing internet connectivity every week or so... Got Virgin to send me the newer Hub 5 to replace my existing 4, and from then it's been solid for over a month 🤞🏻

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Anyone buying the new HomePod? I can’t believe they’ve added a tenner to the Mini so it’s now £99 instead of £89. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Would have considered it if was able to stereo pair to an OG. Not the case, so a no go for me, at least for now...

Reactions: iGeek2019

MrJM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
0a4e6c91c5ab2df781eed1c8be807929.jpg

Get yourselves down TKMaxx if you want a cheap wallet!

Sal09

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2014
United Kingdom
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.