Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
I had the iPhone 7 plus on order with three network here in the UK but after reading all the issues with 4G connection's and the intel modem being the culprit I cancelled mine. How can you release a premium phone to the market place, expect the OP's to pay out big for it, and then it not even connect to 4G through inferior hardware and testing of the IOS for said device. updates to the IOS to increase power to the modem and in affect reduce the claimed battery life just defeats all the claims on the iPhone 7 plus. Do apple care, of course not they are already expecting everyone to cough up again for an I phoney 8 this coming year and the iPhone 7 will be remembered as the nearly iPhone. so many issue's and not just on the three network.

Having just got rid of my Imac retina for a super fast win 10 PC and now ditched the iPhone 7 plus I am now apple free. having had the iPhone since it was revealed by steve through all but iPhone 4 I can now say the love affair is over. when your paying out each month on a contract to have the latest n greatest apple has to offer you at least expect it to function in its primary function a phone, which means get a dam signal when its available.

I purchased a moto Z force and that is not only fast, it has a great 4g signal even better than my iPhone 6 plus. I am sad to say apple are relying on the past laurel's of good design but unfortunately the hardware is not as good as it should be.

Apple should remember the customers are what made them, don't treat them as fools with poor hardware sold as premium products, the apple dream die's.

RIP steve

Entourage

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016
I had the iPhone 7 plus on order with three network here in the UK but after reading all the issues with 4G connection's and the intel modem being the culprit I cancelled mine. How can you release a premium phone to the market place, expect the OP's to pay out big for it, and then it not even connect to 4G through inferior hardware and testing of the IOS for said device. updates to the IOS to increase power to the modem and in affect reduce the claimed battery life just defeats all the claims on the iPhone 7 plus. Do apple care, of course not they are already expecting everyone to cough up again for an I phoney 8 this coming year and the iPhone 7 will be remembered as the nearly iPhone. so many issue's and not just on the three network.

Having just got rid of my Imac retina for a super fast win 10 PC and now ditched the iPhone 7 plus I am now apple free. having had the iPhone since it was revealed by steve through all but iPhone 4 I can now say the love affair is over. when your paying out each month on a contract to have the latest n greatest apple has to offer you at least expect it to function in its primary function a phone, which means get a dam signal when its available.

I purchased a moto Z force and that is not only fast, it has a great 4g signal even better than my iPhone 6 plus. I am sad to say apple are relying on the past laurel's of good design but unfortunately the hardware is not as good as it should be.

Apple should remember the customers are what made them, don't treat them as fools with poor hardware sold as premium products, the apple dream die's.

RIP steve

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. To choose an inferior modem, presumably for cost saving and still expect people to pay a premium price is a step too far.

I have gone to EE and all seems to be well but that isn't the point. I hope that Apple do rectify this in future releases but if not it will make me consider other handsets which I'd rather not do.

Last edited:

mgirg

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
It can't be an intel modem problem specifically otherwise there would be issues with all networks in the U.K., and not with some of the networks that had issues in the states.

However I am now running 10.2.1 b1 and it seems to be functioning pretty normally now, so I think the software issue is pretty much sorted.

cableguy84

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2015
It can't be an intel modem problem specifically otherwise there would be issues with all networks in the U.K., and not with some of the networks that had issues in the states.

However I am now running 10.2.1 b1 and it seems to be functioning pretty normally now, so I think the software issue is pretty much sorted.
Seems to me some people find it easy blaming the intel modem... to justify their decision moving to a different phone.

Matty_TypeR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2016
UK
Seems to me some people find it easy blaming the intel modem... to justify their decision moving to a different phone.

well considering there is a full report available on the internet that tested both built in modems in which the intel modem came out some 25% worse i find it hard to take this reply seriously.

when you live in a 4g marginal area it can make the difference between a 4g signal and no signal. and as a friend has the iPhone 7 plus on the same network we sat the phones side by side, and yea my moto had 4g signal and iPhone 7 plus did not, infact we couldn't get it to connect to a 4g signal no matter what we tried. I know there will always be people who defend apple, but proof is in the pudding as we say, and that iPhone 7 plus had no 4g signal on the latest software update simple as that.

If the iPhone 7 plus worked as it should i would be using one right now, but the fact is its as deaf as a post to 4g signals where i live, yet the 6 plus did pick it up.

Apple made an error fitting the iPhone 7 with intel modems which are inferior to whats been used previously in iphones. don't defend a bad product, all that does is tell apple they can do what they like and we the end users have to put up with it. when you pay a premium amount for a phone you at least expect it to get as good signal as any other 4g phone simple as that.

apple been caught with there pants down yet again, and expect the end user's to just roll over and except it, well not me i have had enough of the penny pinching now by apple and have me a 4G signal so i can use my phone as i wanted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Entourage

Entourage

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2016

To be honest it's worked out well for me this issue arising. Having moved from Three I find that I have a better signal in general on EE (not just data) in the places I use my phone regularly.

Andros1963

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2016
Got the iPhone 7 again yesterday on three uk and so far working perfectly going from 3G to 4g no problem. I am just going to use my data rather than wifi for the next few days just to test

Ergates-thi-Ant

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2013
I'm in the Netherlands right now, and I'm getting not a sausage of 4G. I'm guessing this is because Three don't have 4G agreements in Feel at Home countries, rather than because of problems wiht the iPhone 7+.

raymanster

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
UK
I'm in the Netherlands right now, and I'm getting not a sausage of 4G. I'm guessing this is because Three don't have 4G agreements in Feel at Home countries, rather than because of problems wiht the iPhone 7+.

I had the same when I was on holiday in Hong Kong recently. You only get 3G when using Feel at Home, and 3G in Hong Kong was pretty terrible. It was so slow that I ended up buying a local SIM card instead.

mikedefieslife

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2013
I had the same when I was on holiday in Hong Kong recently. You only get 3G when using Feel at Home, and 3G in Hong Kong was pretty terrible. It was so slow that I ended up buying a local SIM card instead.

I don't know how correct that is as I've used Feel like Home in both Ireland and France. Both times I had a mixture of 3 and 4g depending on where I was. Of course after while I got cut off completely, and received a message saying I was tethering. I wasn't at all. So perhaps Three just don't like you using 4g since it costs them more abroad.

ringingup

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2016
I am still having ongoing issues with 3G and 4G. Once the phone switches to 3G, it tends to stick. Luckily switching on an off airplane mode makes forcing 4G "easy".

tinenti

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
I am still having ongoing issues with 3G and 4G. Once the phone switches to 3G, it tends to stick. Luckily switching on an off airplane mode makes forcing 4G "easy".

I am still having the issue to some extent on three and agree it is probably an issue with the modem that can never be fixed.

The main issue is the phone will fet stuck on what looks like 2 dots and a 4g icon but with no internet. I can walk over a mile and nothing changes. It just sticks to the same lack of data. But as soon as I switch airplane mode on and then off i get a different amount of 4g signal depending where am and full internet back.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
I am still having the issue to some extent on three and agree it is probably an issue with the modem that can never be fixed.

The main issue is the phone will fet stuck on what looks like 2 dots and a 4g icon but with no internet. I can walk over a mile and nothing changes. It just sticks to the same lack of data. But as soon as I switch airplane mode on and then off i get a different amount of 4g signal depending where am and full internet back.
That sounds like it should be fixable in software.

tinenti

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
That sounds like it should be fixable in software.
Does beg the question of why it has not been fixed yet then? It does feel like a bigger provlem that they have tried to fix and have done so to some extent but is impossible to fix totally.

I know i am selfish but how many thousands of customers including myself on three have purchased contracts and have simply never been told this is an issue / major bug.

mrochester

macrumors 601
Feb 8, 2009
Does beg the question of why it has not been fixed yet then? It does feel like a bigger provlem that they have tried to fix and have done so to some extent but is impossible to fix totally.

I know i am selfish but how many thousands of customers including myself on three have purchased contracts and have simply never been told this is an issue / major bug.

Just got a carrier update on my 7 Plus.

tinenti

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
Just got a carrier update on my 7 Plus.
Think that was simply to add wifi calling.

Ps Here is a lovely screenshot of me unable to post this even though according to three i have some signal

Attachments

• IMG_0925.PNG
    IMG_0925.PNG
    146.1 KB · Views: 134

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
It seems to be fixed now (again) in iOS 10.3 beta 1. It was fixed for me in 10.2.1 beta 1 but the issue was reintroduced in beta 3 and was still there in the final version. Not had the issue once on 10.3, very promising.

tinenti

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2016
It seems to be fixed now (again) in iOS 10.3 beta 1. It was fixed for me in 10.2.1 beta 1 but the issue was reintroduced in beta 3 and was still there in the final version. Not had the issue once on 10.3, very promising.
I wait with baited breathe. Could be good news

hobsgrg

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
I wait with baited breathe. Could be good news

For the first time today the issue re-occured for me on 10.3 Beta 1 :(

It was exactly a week until the problem occurred and normally the issue comes up more often than that, usually once every couple of days or so on average.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.