UK: Toys 'r' Us selling Mac stock rediculously cheap

TheChillPill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
Just had a heads-up on this, so thought I'd share it with the other UK users.

Apparently Toys R Us are selling all their Mac stuff as they will no longer be stocking it. In most instances you need to ask behind the desk for any hardware that's left, but the prices reported thus far are;

Mac Mini (Intel) - £199
Mac Mini (PPC) - £99
.mac boxed - £19
Macbook - £379 (!)
iMac - £279 (not sure which model, I suspect a PPC at this price though)

Might be worth a phone call to your local store if you're in the market for anything.

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Yeah any confirmations? If this is really the case, blimey. Darn I can't get there till next week though :(

phatnut

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
I'll confirm that, there is of course a catch however, i just called a couple of stores and they all said the same thing. the macs have been discontinued within toy-r-us, and the stock is now gone, but the floor models are being sold off as dirt cheap, the prices posted above are relatively accurate. the people i spoke to said the pieces will all work, but will be missing keys, be dirty, that sort of cosmetic stuff.

hope that helps.
:apple::apple::apple:

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I'll confirm that, there is of course a catch however, i just called a couple of stores and they all said the same thing. the macs have been discontinued within toy-r-us, and the stock is now gone, but the floor models are being sold off as dirt cheap, the prices posted above are relatively accurate. the people i spoke to said the pieces will all work, but will be missing keys, be dirty, that sort of cosmetic stuff.

hope that helps.
:apple::apple::apple:

Cheers for that. I wonder if they're getting rid of accesories cheap too. Software and keyboards and such

phatnut

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
more info:

imac 17" 160GB dvdrw - £399 (not sure what this model is)
macbook white: £399
imac 17" core2 2.0ghz - £499

not accessories or software

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
Yup I've just called my store in Norwich. To quote the computer guy "yes we have been selling them, some at ridiculous prices"

Needless to say they've none left. But he quoted me mac mini £99, iMac £400.

Good luck everyone, this seems like the real deal.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Just got off the phone to the brent cross store - all have been reserved - bugger. Was going to buy about 5 and sell them on for a nice profit and to pay for one that i'd keep.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
They're discontinuing their stocking of all Mac stuff, now? Surely it'd make sense for a business such as theirs to continue stocking Macbooks...
Profit margins on Apple hardware were very low a few years ago in the UK - I'm not sure if they've increased since then. Assuming it hasn't, if you're just selling the hardware, but not shifting many units, wouldn't fit well in the ToysRus model.

TheChillPill

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2007
Manchester, UK
None left in Manchester Ancoats (last one sold this morning apparently).

I called Bolton and Altrincham from the car and neither of those have any left either. Warrington and Stockport stores aren't answering the phone. :(

capoeirista

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2007
If this is useful for anyone

Ipswich has 17" iMac £400, CD Macbook £349. Both ex-display models. No mac-mini for me though...

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
and lincoln have
a macbook for £499 (said it was reduced by 100, not sure what spec) and
an iMac, 17", 512MB Ram, 160GB Hdd, 1.83GHz for £399.90

looks like the mac minis disappeared sharpish :(

EDIT: lol GHz, not MHz