Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carrot_bg

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2020
Bulgaria
That’s right! It worked! I installed 7.0.2 from the watch itself. Today I tried several times from The watch with no luck, but now I succeeded . Just put the watch on a charger, press the crown, settings, general, software update, install.

Last edited:

ABC1982

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2020
Mine just worked as well doing it directly on the watch. I did a hard reset, placed it on the charger and then tried the update again. It "verified" for a couple seconds then went into the update mode!

bengeo

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Have you tried directly on the watch instead?
didn't have problem with my s4.
I tried that with my new Watch 6 when it was actively linked to the iPhone and it just popped up the same 'can't connect to the internet' message on the phone. But when I restored my old watch and that was active with the phone, I tried updating the new 6 from the watch and it worked! Thanks for the info which made me try again. I guess just turning the phone off when updating from the watch may work too. Somebody should tell Apple, because I spent an hour on the phone and in the end they wanted to send me a replacement watch!

But the old watch is on 7.0.3 and the new one is now on 7.0.2 and so I can't setup it using the backup from the old watch. If you could fix that too, that would be great! I'll just have to wait until they are both on the same version!

ackzot

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2006
I tried from the watch several times last night and did not work. Then did it about an hour or so ago from the watch and it worked.

weird.

Tinknock71

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2008
Westland Michigan
I ended up taking my Nike series 6 back to the apple store this morning and swapped it out since it was only a day old, I got tired of the resetting and trying to install from the watch, apple support was no help last night!

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I tried updating with my iPhone turned off. It worked. The watch started updating immediately. It took less than five minutes.

2020-10-28 04.37.33.png

pajeroid

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2020
Hey people, I'm sure Apple did something today as all of a sudden my 3 day old iWatch 6 series suddenly decided to update after having none of it previously. I'd tried unpairing, a different iPhone (my daughter's iPhone 11 without passcode compared to my iPhone 8 Plus with forced passcode due to a work policy). I also tried 2 different wifi networks, bluetooth off and on, restarting both devices, removing beta profile from my phone.

The only thing I tried last was to enable public beta on my iWatch which worked straight away. When I went back to a forum I had placed the issue in, other people were confirming that their update had worked already without an issue.

I had also wasted an hour with Apple support.

Has anyone else's update issue been rectified as of today?

Beachmusic18

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
St Petersburg
Wow! After reading above that others tried installing from the watch several times before succeeding, I deciding to keep trying too, and voila—7.0.2. Never would have happened had it not been for this super helpful board! Thank you guys so much!

Reactions: carrot_bg

Beachmusic18

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
St Petersburg
Hey people, I'm sure Apple did something today as all of a sudden my 3 day old iWatch 6 series suddenly decided to update after having none of it previously. I'd tried unpairing, a different iPhone (my daughter's iPhone 11 without passcode compared to my iPhone 8 Plus with forced passcode due to a work policy). I also tried 2 different wifi networks, bluetooth off and on, restarting both devices, removing beta profile from my phone.

The only thing I tried last was to enable public beta on my iWatch which worked straight away. When I went back to a forum I had placed the issue in, other people were confirming that their update had worked already without an issue.

I had also wasted an hour with Apple support.

Has anyone else's update issue been rectified as of today?
I didn’t start trying to update until this morning, then tried all morning long, then again this afternoon with no luck. The last try, (note above at around 5 PM) worked...updating from the watch which I’d already tried. I’d spent hours on it today with no luck.

Edited to add, mid-afternoon I decided to see if I could update my husband‘s S4 this afternoon. Updated his phone first to the new OS, without having checked his watch to see what it was running. Phone updated, I looked for the updated for his watch, and lo and behold, his was already running 7.0.2 having downloaded it successfully overnight (whenever) on the old phone OS. No effort or stress on his part, having enabled automatic updates—which I’m adverse to using. Can anyone make sense of what has happened?

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
I've been repeatedly seeing the same error, albeit with a S3, trying to update first to 7.0.1, then 7.0.3. I've tried every trick short of erasing my phone, but I did offload my music library to see if it would work with more free space.

It always fails just past halfway during the "Preparing" step.

I'm not sure how hard I'd try even if I hadn't given the Watch to Apple today to have them send it for diagnosis.

4np

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
The Netherlands
Yeah this morning it works for me as well, it's installing the 7.0.2 as we speak. Must indeed have been some sort of server issue at Apple. Weird that their status page showed all green yesterday.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
My watch is still failing to verify. Anyone else still having the problem? I may try with the phone off and see if that works. I am pretty sure that is the only thing I still haven't tried.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
Still cant update tried all the tips suggested still stuck on 7.0.1. which sucks as the battery is draining.

tcphoto1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2008
Nashville, TN
I updated my iPhone to iOS14.2 and thought that I'd try to update my Apple Watch. It has iOS7 but want iOS7.1 or 7.2 while I was at it. It still doesn't work and keep getting an error regarding WIFI connection.

fakejobs

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2016
Series 4, stuck on 7.0.2 with the error message: "unable to verify update. Connect to internet". It won't update to 7.1

yoheywut

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Still cannot update from 7.0 to 7.1 on my Series 4. I've tried messing with DNS, deleting any VPN, trying it on the watch itself with my iPhone in airplane mode, pretty much everything under the sun.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
The is really aggravating. And apple support seems oblivious to what appears to be a pretty widespread issue.

fakejobs

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2016
The is really aggravating. And apple support seems oblivious to what appears to be a pretty widespread issue.

Like most folks in this thread, I have tried everything: unpairing; rebooting (phone + watch); factory resetting the watch; leaving it on the charger while it downloaded; tried downloading it directly from the watch, etc. and none of it worked. So I decide to chat with Apple last night about the issue, and after being transferred to a supervisor he immediately escalated my issue to engineering. They scheduled a callback for the next day (today) to talk about the problem in detail with an expert. And here is what she told me:

Apple is aware of the problem since Oct 28, but she won't be able to resolve the problem at the moment. I was then told she'll call me back on Thursday after sending in my reports to the engineering team. So, I'm guessing we'll have a new update soon? If not, we should demand a replacement, since it could be hardware related.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
hmmmmmm they need to tell their other advisors and senior advisors cuz the ones i've chatted with are clueless. on chat now with a senior advisor and he appears to have no clue about this issue!

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
The saddest thing is this is happening to people with brand new series 6 watches! i mean WTAF!?

Roberholzer

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
I have also tried everything. Nor step away of going back to store and demand a refund. I’ve had my watch for less than a month....

• Sad
Reactions: caligurl

khanh.nguyennhat93

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2020
Yeah, I have the same problem. In preparing step, it just failed with the damn reason that it cannot verify the update because I am not connected to the internet lol. Then the senior advisor made some escalations, the final reason is ... "please wait till we found the solution". The fk?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.