Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC
This is what I get on my 15" €3200,- machine ..

dbcf8a67a46483b9127a76f9177fdb2e.jpg

Don't get it ... is my standard so high or are company's like Apple and Sony just getting worse in terms of screen quality??

This is the light bleed in a Sony 4K I've bought last Friday :-( but a lot of people say it's "normal" with an LED panel..

52ca0d91e97c51b4f1148d44946b120b.jpg

In a word, yes. Your standard is too high. You are stressing over nothing. Perfection is an illusion and you are wasting your time and thoughts over this. You really will not find better at the current consumer level, but you can keep chasing the dragon if you like.

ValiumEater

macrumors regular
Dec 14, 2015
Colorist here, I don't see a problem. Besides, if you're doing anything that requires color accuracy on an industry level, you shouldn't be using laptop screens anyway.

Reactions: xmonkey

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
In a word, yes. Your standard is too high. You are stressing over nothing. Perfection is an illusion and you are wasting your time and thoughts over this. You really will not find better at the current consumer level, but you can keep chasing the dragon if you like.

Sometimes the chase is worth it. I went through several iPads until I found one with a perfect screen. It has no noticeable tint shift and is evenly lit across the entire screen. As a result of my hunt, I am extremely pleased with my iPad. Some of those iPads I went through had truly horrible screens.

Reactions: bevsb2

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands

Thanks for you're honest reply! I appreciate it (and I mean this).

So even the picture of the Sony TV seems normal for you? As in: do you have a tv with the same amount of clouding/light bleed?

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe

So even the picture of the Sony TV seems normal for you? As in: do you have a tv with the same amount of clouding/light bleed?

It does. I have sony which looks excatly the same but you dont notice anything while actually using it for watching movies and not only staring the screen when leds are on.

Reactions: Cremerhm

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
Yeah sure, you got ripped off. Go exchange it ten times.

The problem is, people come to these threads and all of a sudden they try these stupid tests and see that theirs isn't perfect, so they become obsessed, and so forth, and so on.

Mass hysteria.

People will follow the herd right off the cliff. You can't help but wonder if yours is defective.

These threads go like this: A borderline OCD person posts photos. You look at them, and of course don't see anything. Then someone says: "Oh yes I see that, it's very clear, you got a bad one, go exchange it". Then a person will proudly post that theirs suffers nothing and is "Perfect". (This doesn't help, trust me :D).

It goes on like this sucking in others and growing like a cancer.

Last edited:

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
Yeah, sure you got ripped off. Go exchange it ten times.

The problem is, people come to these threads and all of a sudden they try these stupid tests and see that theirs isn't perfect, so they become obsessed, and so forth, and so on.

Mass hysteria.

No, I saw it before there was a thread .. but I do know myself and know that I am a "bit" compulsive about these things .. so that's why I like to ask users on forum/threads like this what's normal and whats not....

(but actually I shouldn't have to "explain" myself for a reaction like yours..)

Lucifer666

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2014
No, I saw it before there was a thread .. but I do know myself and know that I am a "bit" compulsive about these things .. so that's why I like to ask users on forum/threads like this what's normal and whats not....

(but actually I shouldn't have to "explain" myself for a reaction like yours..)

Well that's nice, but you can see why someone would be sarcastic and harsh about this, because we all get sucked in. You can't help it. It's dangerous, really. We laugh, but it's a sort of a problem.

These treads will grow, and cause worry for regular users. So people like me will come in here and say "wait a minute, this is crackers" :D

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
Well that's nice, but you can see why someone would be sarcastic and harsh about this, because we all get sucked in. You can't help it. It's dangerous, really. We laugh, but it's a sort of a problem.

These treads will grow, and cause worry for regular users. So people like me will come in here and say "wait a minute, this is crackers" :D

I can understand that people who don't see this stuff can get a bit worried when they read these sort of threads .. but then again, isn't the purpose of a forum to ask for advice in the community?

I think giving a s****y reply to someone who actually care's about the opinion of others, and needs this advice to come to a conclusion, isn't something that should happen on a forum like this..

But that's just my 2cents ...

Now: let's get back on-topic ;-)

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
You guys should take your imaginations over to the yellow-screen threads in the iPhone forum. That’s where this nonsense belongs.

A typical response from someone with poor color discrimination who really can't see screen unevenness or sees it and doesn't care and thinks no one else should either.

seadragon

Contributor
Mar 10, 2009
The fact is that some of the screens are not manufactured well. If there are truly noticeable and distracting "characteristics" to the screen, one should not settle for it. As much as people like throwing the term OCD around, it could also be said that many people are color blind or just have low standards for what they expect from a product.

Don't expect or accept mediocrity.

BarredOwl

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2015
NC

We share two very similar devices, both the Sony TV and the MacBook Pro. I'm not happy with the uneven portions when I look at a completely white or black screen on either device, but they are the best that I've owned in each category.

I've been through a couple of exchanges with the MacBook, but the Sony TV was not uneven enough to warrant hauling it back to BestBuy. If the light bleed on the TV doesn't interfere with viewing content, I say keep it. Mine looks very similar with a black background.

My standards are often too high as well, but your time and worry are worth much more than a laptop or TV. Most of the PowerBooks/MacBooks I've either owned or examined look similar to yours; some worse, but rarely much better.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

Don't get it ... is my standard so high or are company's like Apple and Sony just getting worse in terms of screen quality??

This is the light bleed in a Sony 4K I've bought last Friday :-( but a lot of people say it's "normal" with an LED panel..

52ca0d91e97c51b4f1148d44946b120b.jpg

that looks pretty hot temperature wise on the bottom third

Clouding on Sony tv's have been around FOREVER, I remember an XBR2 with a ton of it just do google image search

Should go OLED :D I'm happy as heck with both mine (55" 1080p and 65" 4k both from LG since they're the only ones making them)

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA

Your MBP looks totally fine to me, quite a bit better than others I've seen to be honest.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
I just got the 55" LG OLED 4K TV and the screen is gorgeous! I wish my MacBook Pro looked that good.

Nice which model? I have 9300 for 1080p 55" and 9600 for 65" 4K

Hopefully you have decent uniformity on that too haha.

My 9100 was horrendous that I returned and re tried with a 9300 which is 99 percent same tv and same spec panel

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Nice which model? I have 9300 for 1080p 55" and 9600 for 65" 4K

Hopefully you have decent uniformity on that too haha.

My 9100 was horrendous that I returned and re tried with a 9300 which is 99 percent same tv and same spec panel

Model is 55B6P and uniformity looks perfect to me though not as critical on a TV where I am rarely looking at a white screen as opposed to my MacBook Pro where I often am. My MacBook Pro screen isn't bad - has a very slight pink tint on the left and transitions to a slight blue tint on the right but doesn't bother me for the most part and is more uniform than the first two that I returned. It seems to be flawless otherwise and the one time I checked battery life it was around 10 hours so I am very happy with it. I love the keyboard, trackpad, touch bar, size and space gray color.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Most panel manufacturers like Samsung, LG, Sharp, Sony, AU Optronics or Tianma are cutting corners big time. Such hue uniformity issues will always be present in those products where the majority of buyers either don't notice or don't care.

1) It's a problem for both IPS and OLED / AMOLED
2) You may get lucky and receive a reasonably uniform screen
3) If non-uniformity is way too much for you to not be bothered during real-world use, exchange is the only option
4) As long as the majority of websites and documents have white backgrounds, hue uniformity will be very noticeable

I don't expect perfect cherry-picked displays in any modern mass-produced laptop even if it costs 3000$. But I wouldn't tolerate if it's bothersome. The level of sensitivity to this issue is purely individual, but saying that the issue doesn't exist or doesn't matter is simply ignorant.

Last edited:

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
A typical response from someone with poor color discrimination who really can't see screen unevenness or sees it and doesn't care and thinks no one else should either.

LOL, you know what’s funny? I am truly nobody special, so I don’t want anyone to read this as arrogant...but my full time job that puts the food on my table and the roof over my head is photography. I spend countless hours every week obsessing about color and I know a thing or two about color management and calibration of displays. It’s actually what I do for a living...

Cremerhm

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
The Netherlands
We share two very similar devices, both the Sony TV and the MacBook Pro. I'm not happy with the uneven portions when I look at a completely white or black screen on either device, but they are the best that I've owned in each category.

I've been through a couple of exchanges with the MacBook, but the Sony TV was not uneven enough to warrant hauling it back to BestBuy. If the light bleed on the TV doesn't interfere with viewing content, I say keep it. Mine looks very similar with a black background.

My standards are often too high as well, but your time and worry are worth much more than a laptop or TV. Most of the PowerBooks/MacBooks I've either owned or examined look similar to yours; some worse, but rarely much better.

I've packed the Sony this morning, exchanging it of another unit later today....hoping it will be good.
Got rit of a lot of the clouding using the "credit card massage" ... but when I watch something like Star Wars, the dark scenes become just a grayish blur ...

See screenshot (sorry for messing up this thread) in my opinion it shouldn't look like this ... should it?

82439b24a9da80c0835dfa1eecebf0ef.jpg

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
This is my A033 panel. I can see non uniformity across the side. It really does not bother me and I think it is a good looking screen.

IMG_0376.jpeg

IMG_0377.JPG

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.