Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FunkyTang

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
I can't imagine adding to the weight of this device. That's why I left my 11 Pro Max for this. I'd rather get an external Anker battery. :p
It costs me 76g to switch from my silicon case to my smart battery case to get double the battery life on my XS.

Attachments

• 1966330C-51A4-46D5-B303-84F00592F3F0.jpeg
    1966330C-51A4-46D5-B303-84F00592F3F0.jpeg
    494.6 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: BigMcGuire

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Buying $1000 for a new phone should be an UPGRADE. Not just sharp edges and a lousy, smaller battery. I mean this is ridiculous but the defense of Apple at all costs is why they are allowed to continue doing this to us loyal buyers.
I agree to the new phone should be an UPGRADE. In my opinion, it is. When I agree with the batterygate bandwagon, I'll be the first to jump on with a bull horn. I have loyalty to no company, only amazing products.

For example, I dislike Facebook (actually most social media). Have never had a facebook account. Picked up an Oculus Quest 2 and was required to create a facebook account. This only reinforces my dislike. It is a necessary evil, because the Oculus is pretty amazing. Just had a lightsaber fight with Dark Vadar ( working as a team ) and it was AMAZING!

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
This was definitely going to happen with 5G. Not making any excuses, but fairly certain battery life isn't fabulous on any 5G device.

Madonepro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2011
First time a new phone had a much worse battery experience than its predecessor.

I've had my 12 Pro for 6 days now, and I don't agree with the above comment. The experience isn't worse. Define worse? No in their right mind assumes an iPhone lasts from dawn to bedtime, so you are always going to want to charge it, even if you are a moderate user. And that article you referred to, had no real science/data to back up the claim. It was simply anecdotal. It doesn't take into account of other settings they might have not amended, or the differing processors.

jesChexin

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2018
I'm really and truly unhappy with my 12 Pro battery life. I'm basically just using Safari, iMessage, Whatsapp and social media, with wifi on and auto-5G enabled, at around 50% brightness - but any time I take the phone off the charger, the battery starts dropping like a falling rocket. From approximately 8 am to 12 pm today - I'm down to 50% battery. I haven't even used YouTube or watched a video yet today. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some battery hungry setting I need to check? Everyone seems to be getting much better battery life than me. Battery usage screenshot is attached. Help?

Attachments

• BF42CFEA-4EF4-4944-94E9-CD64F3801629.jpeg
    BF42CFEA-4EF4-4944-94E9-CD64F3801629.jpeg
    750.8 KB · Views: 116

theliellama

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2017
I'm really and truly unhappy with my 12 Pro battery life. I'm basically just using Safari, iMessage, Whatsapp and social media, with wifi on and auto-5G enabled, at around 50% brightness - but any time I take the phone off the charger, the battery starts dropping like a falling rocket. From approximately 8 am to 12 pm today - I'm down to 50% battery. I haven't even used YouTube or watched a video yet today. Am I doing something wrong? Is there some battery hungry setting I need to check? Everyone seems to be getting much better battery life than me. Battery usage screenshot is attached. Help?
Do you keep your screen on all the time? I took my phone off charger 5 hours ago and I'm at 88%. I used the same apps as you, but the screen was only on a few minutes at a time.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I posted this in another thread with a similar topic.

I am pretty happy with the battery life I'm seeing with my 12 pro. Obviously I'm not a super heavy user but ... I'm not hitting 50% even after 6 hours of "heavy" usage for me.

The weight difference between my 11 Pro Max and this is night and day. I was out doing errands yesterday and ... yeah... the phone wasn't pulling my pants down, it wasn't a pain to hold, and the size is perfect. A week down with this thing and I'm not going back.

IMG_0046.jpg

Reactions: Stridr69 and Dukins

jesChexin

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2018
Do you keep your screen on all the time? I took my phone off charger 5 hours ago and I'm at 88%. I used the same apps as you, but the screen was only on a few minutes at a time.
I mean not really - obviously I use the screen the whole time I'm actively browsing the web and looking at stuff, but otherwise the screen is off. I'm at 47% now from the 50% I was at when I posted. I just don't get why my battery is so bad and if I should try for another one or just get the 12 Pro Max.

theliellama

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2017
I mean not really - obviously I use the screen the whole time I'm actively browsing the web and looking at stuff, but otherwise the screen is off. I'm at 47% now from the 50% I was at when I posted. I just don't get why my battery is so bad and if I should try for another one or just get the 12 Pro Max.
Well, from the graph your phone seems to think your screen is on all the time lol. If it isn't, there might be an issue.

jesChexin

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2018
Well, from the graph your phone seems to think your screen is on all the time lol. If it isn't, there might be an issue.
But remember, that's over the last total 24 hours. So today I've had maybe 4 hours of screen on time and down to below 50%. That's my issue.

theliellama

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2017
But remember, that's over the last total 24 hours. So today I've had maybe 4 hours of screen on time and down to below 50%. That's my issue.
I'm just reading the last 5 hours of the graph. The blue bars are almost showing 60 mins of use per hour except for 10am. Is that right?

jesChexin

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2018
I'm just reading the last 5 hours of the graph. The blue bars are almost showing 60 mins of use per hour except for 10am. Is that right?
Mostly from this morning, yes, but that still means I'm getting much less battery than normal tests would suggest. Most reviews I've read said video loops with screen on should last for 13 hours. With my safari browsing, I'll be lucky to get 7 hours?

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
I had a 12 pro for order but then I saw battery tests that are supposed to be used as a GUIDE point in conjunction with your typical usage. 6 hr SOT would not cut it for me nor would my phone last 6 hours, I use too many battery hogging apps (discord,e7,Dragalia lost,genshin impact,modified Twitter,modified Instagram) I take a lot of photos(almost at 40k photos) and at least 2-5 4k videos a day 2 mins each. I work my part time jobs on my phone during my main job as well.

I like to use small designer bags and fitting my 11 pro max sucks in smaller bags. I just use my pochette Métis mainly now but I want to use smaller bags like a lady Dior mini or small. So I was like ok I can use the smaller pro and use a battery bank. That takes up even more space than just my 11 pro max and it’s heavier than my 11 pro max. I don’t want to have to charge up 2-3x a day. My pro max on avg gets 13hrs SOT and even that makes me nervous.

Coupled with the fact I like to jailbreak (which kills blife a good deal) and or stay on betas (inconsistent blife). The pro just doesn’t fit my lifestyle. If the battery tests could get at least 8 hours on the 12 pro with max brightness I could make it work and just deal with it but 6? Nah not possible.

That’s why I love battery drain tests, they test phones blife with more extreme use and I can guideline my useage and if the phone would work and it won’t. Too bad for me, I’m so tired of big phones too

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Yeah, social media is heavy on the battery, but the vast majority of your usage is Safari. 4h on 50% seems too low.

egeek84

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
Northern California
Yup this is another big reason why I returned my 12 pro (outside of the yellow tint issue.)

first off, the thing took FOREVER to charge with the MagSafe charger using Apple 20 watt adapter. I’m sure having a smaller battery than what I’m used to played a part (coming from a 11 pro Max)

also the battery drained in just a few hours of using it. (I wish Apple made batteries like the ones in the Samsung Note phones, those things last forever!)

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
Honestly, I think I would love them to make this device thinner and/or smaller, and come out with an external magsafe thin battery slab that I could use on days when I need more. I would bet this is Apples plan going forward. Why carry around extra weight in a battery you don’t need most days? It’s like driving a giant SUV or pick up when you only need the space 10% of the time.

whizkid11

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
A battery life test by Arun Maini of the YouTube channel Mrwhosetheboss found that the iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max had significant leads in battery runtimes compared to the newer iPhone 12 and 12 Pro. The iPhone 12 and 12 Pro have a 2,815 mAh battery, which is not only lower in terms of actual capacity than the previous generation but also powers larger and higher resolution displays leading to lower runtimes.

First time a new phone had a much worse battery experience than its predecessor. Apple wisely wanted to sell as many of these as possible before the Max is released which offers decent battery life. 6 hours of battery life is a joke and that assumes you are not on 5G much.
The A14 chip is much more power efficient. Also. The PPI on the 12 Pro is only 1 more than the 11 Pro.

TyS97

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2015
I don’t think the battery life is stellar, but it still gets me through the day (for example, I just worked a 10 hour shift with intermittent use throughout the day on 5g [non UW] and I’m still above 40%). Yesterday I was in the 30’s. If I happen to run too low I can just use the USB-C to lighting cable and my MacBook pro retina charger and have plenty of battery life in no time. The battery life isn’t bad enough to even make me consider returning the phone.

Reactions: MisterMillz

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
A battery life test by Arun Maini of the YouTube channel Mrwhosetheboss found that the iPhone 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max had significant leads in battery runtimes compared to the newer iPhone 12 and 12 Pro. The iPhone 12 and 12 Pro have a 2,815 mAh battery, which is not only lower in terms of actual capacity than the previous generation but also powers larger and higher resolution displays leading to lower runtimes.

First time a new phone had a much worse battery experience than its predecessor. Apple wisely wanted to sell as many of these as possible before the Max is released which offers decent battery life. 6 hours of battery life is a joke and that assumes you are not on 5G much.
Still ordering 2 on the 6th.
Unless something really, really bad happens.

Toratek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2019
For the first two days, my IPhone 12 pro 512 was constantly downloading my very extensive music and movie library, both over Wi-Fi and cellular, and the battery definitely took a hit.

Today I started using the phone at 0600, noted that most of my music tracks have completed loading, and with regular use, including outdoors in full sunlight, taking photos, playing podcasts and music over BT for six hours, and handling about 12 emails, and another dozen texts, it’s still at 40% at 20:30. I’m quite satisfied that the battery is adequate.

I have a feeling that these freshly deployed phones need a few days to settle down, with all the background stuff that newly set up phones tend to do.

Reactions: m-a and BigMcGuire

JasonHB

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
Warwickshire, UK
The OP keeps making sarcastic responses to criticisms of this thread. As has been said, he is completely failing to see why people are responding in the way that they are.

His pathetic “click-bait” over dramatic title was always going to illicit this kind of response from a lot of users. He is no better than the appalling “influencers” on YouTube who use the most ridiculous titles for their videos to drive revenue and hits to their channel. People like that obnoxious idiot Linus and that appallingly corrupt and borderline criminal Unbox Therapy to name just 2, use this kind of tactic.

He would have had a much better response had he just created the thread with a more sensible and measured title attempting to discuss the topic like an adult, rather than go out of his way to create a trolling title.

Anyway, I am sure that everyone who has already upgraded their phones will love them and this kind of moronic attempt at a thread will make no difference to anyone’s buying decision.

Jason

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.