Unlimited data $10 a month

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bpear96, Jul 10, 2011.

1. bpear96, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

bpear96 macrumors member

Its possible and it runs on sprints network. Here is how to do it. Go to http://www.sprint2boost.com/index.html and look at the htc phones. any one is compatible but i recommend the htc mogul because they go for under $20 on ebay (MAKE SURE IT HAS A CLEAN ESN). then once you receive your phone use the plus $30 on sprint2boost.com, which will put your sprint htc mogul onto boost mobile (runs on sprint). then signup for paygo which is only $0.35 a day for unlimited data.

once you have it on boost you can use the HTC WifiRouter app to tether your connection to your ipad

So its $50 upfront (waay less then a mifi or the extra charge for a 3g ipad) But then its only $10.50 a month for UNLIMITED data. CRAZY

optional: you could be adventurous like this guy and make a mifi device out of the htc mogul. http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1622716-My-custom-homebrew-Boost-MiFi-(clone)./page6 p *pictures in middle of page 6*

also you can try to put the phone on boost yourself instead of paying to $30 but 1.) you have to already have a boost account with a boost mobile phone 2.) you have to keep calling customer service till you get a rep to let you use the sprint phone

I recommend just using http://www.sprint2boost.com its generally cheaper unless you allready have a boost account/phone.

Go to http://www.sprint2boost.com to see all the phones compatible. Then check to see if it has wifi and if you can tether it. I recommend you get a win mobile phone.

2. h00ligan macrumors 68030

3. Salukipilot4590 macrumors 6502

Salukipilot4590

4. bperrella macrumors regular

Just grabbed a Treo pro off of eBay to try this out... I think that it's .35 a day even on days that you don't use it though... Still $10 a month for unlimited MiFi would be unreal. Thanks for posting!

5. bpear96 thread starter macrumors member

Oh yea your right. in the terms on this page http://plans.boostmobile.com/paygo.aspx#bottomDisclaimer
    its says "Web: Subscription fee charged daily regardless of usage unless customer calls Boost Customer Care to deactivate. "

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Not bad, especially if you have decent Sprint coverage.

7. bpear96 thread starter macrumors member

i guess you could call to deactivate it, then call to activate when you want to use it. but thats kinda a hassle and $10 is cheap enough

8. bpear96 thread starter macrumors member

9. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Actually, on iOS 4.3 and higher you no longer have to jailbreak to tether over Bluetooth.

10. ZZ Bottom macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I thought Boost mobile was only for thugs and gangbangers. OP you sound like a slickdealer ;)

11. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

So...$10/month for data....how much per month just to have the phone number on the network? Trying to see what total monthly outlay would be.

12. Meanee macrumors 6502a

I would be careful with WinMo tethering. The app I had on my Touch Pro 2 constantly kept dropping connection, up to the point where I had to restart my phone to get it back up and running.

This was a while ago, so maybe the problem went away, but thought I put this out there.

13. bperrella macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

I never had a problem with my Omnia on VZW... Hopefully my luck won't change. Windows Mobile is usually pretty solid for apps that run without user interaction... It just sucks when you actually have to use it as a day to day phone.

14. Heavyhitter504 macrumors member

So can we get just the data plan, or is a voice plan required too?

15. bperrella macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_8 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E401 Safari/6533.18.5)

Its a pay as you go plan.. So as long as you send a text message a month or make one quick call you should be good with just the data

16. bpear96 thread starter macrumors member

http://plans.boostmobile.com/paygo.aspx

17. zaxdude macrumors regular

I don't know if you actually have to make a call or a text within a month....

The "Maintaining Your Account" section states:

Add money to your account whenever you need to cover your calls and any extras used. Recharge at least once every 90 days to keep your account active (after 90 days any credit balance will expire). Once you hit a zero credit balance, you have 60 days to add money and keep your service and account active.

I could be wrong, but since the service is "pay as you go" and indicates a minute of calling or a single text is 10 cents per, if you don't make either your cost is zero (assuming you had no other "extras" to pay for). You just have to make sure $$ is added to the account at least once every 90 days to cover the costs monthly.

I'm considering doing this....I have a mogul at home along with a Touch Pro that I used while with Sprint.

18. nkawal macrumors regular

I have a brand new HTC Diamond from sprint sitting all alone, looks like i found use for it. Although i use wifi tether from my EVO to the ipad, its another alternative.

19. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

I must say I'm impressed. I expected another waste-of-time thread but you delivered. Not something I'll do personally but a good idea nonetheless.

20. bperrella macrumors regular

Seriously,OP this is a great find. I usually tether my iPad to my Verizon iPhone but vzw 3G in my office (amd mostly everywhere i go) is terrible. If this works I'll be able to restore 3G to my iPhone AND iPad in the office.

21. bpear96 thread starter macrumors member

Haha yea it is a pretty impressive deal. Im not actually gonna do it either but it is a great deal and i know it works so i had to post it.

22. bpear96 thread starter macrumors member

Yea it is. But i also tether from my htc sensation (im not %100 an apple fanboy) to my ipad, I get great speeds everywhere i go (5mbps+). But before i had Virgin mobile (also runs on sprint) and i got 500-900kbps not the best speeds but good for almost everything on the ipad,besides things like netflix.

23. billinaz macrumors 6502

billinaz

How did it work? I found a good deal on an altell treo pro that I can use for this.

Was it all set up for tethering or did you need an app for the phone?

24. brdwygurl macrumors regular

Thanks so much to the OP for figuring this out. I just got a wifi only ipad so this will fill the gap when I am working someplace without wifi.

25. bperrella macrumors regular

I didn't get the phone yet... but I think it has to be a Sprint phone so the Altell one wont work