Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nitro1

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Possible stupid question

I am pretty sure i know the answer but for technical reasons i feel the need to ask.

The JB at 3am Eastern time that will hack the iPhone with 4.3.1 and baseband 4.10.01 correct?

Because i tried to PWNAGE tool the other day. It was the 4.2 JB. And i thought it said it worked on the 4.3.1 so that is where my confusion comes in.
Thanks

Sorry if this was asked and i missed it.

I am not trying to unlock. I am just making sure the JB will work with my phone and the most recent update from apple.

scirica

macrumors 68020
May 13, 2008
Dallas, TX
I've backed up all my themes, photos, etc in anticipation of an overnight release. Latest PkgBackup run is done.

I'm ready!!!

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I've backed up all my themes, photos, etc in anticipation of an overnight release. Latest PkgBackup run is done.

I'm ready!!!

I'm doing the opposite, I have so much crud on my phone I want to thin it out but I'm not sure what is supporting things I want.

I made the smallest list of hacks that I just had to keep. I was thinking maybe 15, couldnt get under 36 but thats down from 60ish

Those 36 will add the programs they need to function.

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
I'm doing the opposite, I have so much crud on my phone I want to thin it out but I'm not sure what is supporting things I want.

I made the smallest list of hacks that I just had to keep. I was thinking maybe 15, couldnt get under 36 but thats down from 60ish

Those 36 will add the programs they need to function.

Doing the same thing. I look at an upgrade more like a spring cleaning most of the time. It is now late and hopefully I will have a JB to try out in the morning.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
The JB at 3am Eastern time that will hack the iPhone with 4.3.1 and baseband 4.10.01 correct?

They are releasing a jailbreak only for 4.3.1, not a new unlock. 01.59.00 remains the only unlockable firmware on iphone 4.

cobaltrich27

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
D/FW TX
Sweet!!!

I read this at tipb:

Over the weekend the Dev-Team let the world know that if #sundayisfunday started trending on Twitter they’d release an untethered jailbreak shortly after. It has since been confirmed that they’re planning to release the official tools at GMT-8, which should translate for us in the US and Canada to the following times:

12AM Pacific
1AM Mountain
2AM Central
3AM Eastern

Guess I better get all my iDevices ready to JB only couple more hours for me!!!

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
dang, 60 cydia apps? that's nuts! i've used like 5-10 at the most!

I cut it down but the only one on the below list I dont use is wifi sync. Just keeping it because I'm holding out hope that it will work someday.

Android Lock XT
Activator
AT@T Carrier logo
Bite SMS
CyDelete
Direct closer pro
Fast number
Five-column
Folder Enhancer
Gridlock
Group Send
ifile
infinidock
ipicmycontacts
lockinfo
MultiiconMover
Music Controls Pro
MX tube
my 3g
MyWi
Navigate from maps
noAccessorySplash
PhotoAlbums+
Pkg Backup
Pull to refresh for mail
Pwnapple Loaders
Remove background
safari download manager
sborganizer
sbschedule
sbsettings
snaptap
springflash
wifi sync
winterboard

bli625

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2009
Just reloaded Cydia, and there's a MobileSubstrate update, if that means anything.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
I cant wait to use 4.3.1 and remain unlocked on my iPhone 4. 4.0 was getting crusty.

ultrasn0w unlockers remember: please stay away until we get a chance to fix the problems 4.3.1 has with older basebands

MuscleNerd just put this up on twitter. You may want to hold off

ZmyDust

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
I keep checking back in anticipation of seeing the new JB. Funny thing is I'm on verizons latest version 4.2.6 :rolleyes: with no option to upgrade to 4.3 let alone 4.3.1.. So i don't know why I care! Excited for you guys and a little bitter..

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Here we go!!

Taken from http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

Three years of pwnage(tool)

Three years ago (almost to the day!), the first version of PwnageTool was released for firmware 1.1.4. So today we’re excited to release another edition of both PwnageTool and redsn0w to bring an untethered jailbreak for Apple’s latest firmware, FW 4.3.1.

WARNING WARNING — ultrasn0w users don’t update yet! See a few paragraphs down!

The 4.3.1 untether exploit comes courtesy of Stefan Esser (@i0n1c on twitter), a security researcher based in Germany. Stefan has a long history of vulnerability research, and ironically his first contribution to the iPhone jailbreak community was improved security — last year he beat Apple to the punch and implemented ASLR for jailbroken iPhones with his “antid0te” framework. We’re happy to see that Stefan then turned his iPhone attention over to an untethered jailbreak exploit!

The 4.3.1 untether works on all devices that actually support 4.3.1 except for the iPad2:

* iPhone3GS
* iPhone4 (GSM)
* iPod touch 3G
* iPod touch 4G
* iPad1
* AppleTV 2G (PwnageTool only for now)

The reason the untether won’t work as-is on the iPad2 is that it requires a bootrom or iBoot-level exploit to install, and the iPad2 is not susceptible to either the limera1n or SHAtter bootrom exploits.

WARNING WARNING — ultrasn0w users don’t update yet! We need to first release an update to ultrasn0w that fixes some incompatibilities when FW 4.3.1 is used on the older basebands supported by ultrasn0w. And remember once we do fix ultrasn0w for 4.3.1 (we’ll announce it here and on twitter), you must only get there via a custom IPSW from PwnageTool, Sn0wbreeze or xpwn! Don’t ever try to restore or update to a stock IPSW, or you’ll lose the unlock!

For everyone else, redsn0w is the easier program to use (and redsn0w runs on both Mac and Windows). Please check out places like iClarified for some excellent guides on how to use both PwnageTool and redsn0w.

Feel free to ask for help in our comments section. Thanks once again to our fantastic moderators for volunteering their time and knowledge and keeping order: Confucious, sherif_hashim, dhlizard, Frank55, and subarurider!

redsn0w for Mac: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_mac_0.9.6rc9.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

redsn0w for Windows: https://sites.google.com/a/iphone-dev.com/files/home/redsn0w_win_0.9.6rc9.zip?attredirects=0&d=1

Last edited:

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
So is it a problem with ultrasn0w or a compatibility problem with 4.3.1 and older basebands? I am on 01.59.00, but I don't need ultrasn0w. Will 4.3.1 function correctly on the older baseband?

UPDATED:For anyone else that needs to know, MuscleNerd says that 4.3.1 will function fine on older basebands, except it will only show 1 bar of signal strength. Actual signal strength will be higher but it will only show 1 bar. He also said that it will be addressed with an update package or through ultrasn0w.

Last edited:

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Hmm...

I'm just getting ready to do this, but I redsn0w needs to browse to the phone's *.ipsw file.

I thought that resided in C>Users>Me>App Data>Roaming>Apple Computers>iPhone Software Update, but that's empty. :confused:

[Edit] - I should add that I sync my phone nearly every day, so they must be here somewhere!

Last edited:

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Hmm...

I'm just getting ready to do this, but I redsn0w needs to browse to the phone's *.ipsw file.

I thought that resided in C>Users>Me>App Data>Roaming>Apple Computers>iPhone Software Update, but that's empty. :confused:

[Edit] - I should add that I sync my phone nearly every day, so they must be here somewhere!

I've found one in D:\Downloads called "iPhone3,1_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw", which I must have grabbed from iClarified or somewhere-sound good?

I'm going to sync now anyway, but I'd still like to know where iTunes is putting the backup IPSW files...

Scott90

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I want to preserve my baseband (02.10.04), even though I know there is no unlock for it yet and that a future unlock is probably for newer basebands also. Just in case.

However, when using redsn0w, my baseband isn't preserved, is it? Then how do I jailbreak 4.3.1 with baseband preservation? Pwnagetool?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.