Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When the iPad was first announced, one of the most exciting aspects of the device was that developers now had a large multi-touch platform to develop cool new apps. In particular, the possibility of DJ applications with multi-touch scratching and mixing captured some people's imaginations, but for a number of reasons those full-fledged apps never really arrived.

The primary reason is that the iPad has been stuck on iOS 3.2 which offers far fewer audio-related options than the 4.x build. But with the imminent release of iOS 4.2, at least one developer is going to finally deliver a full featured iPad DJ app. We've learned that Algoriddim, the makers of the popular djay application for Mac, has ported djay over to the iPad, taking full advantage of the new iOS 4.2 audio features.

133719-djayipad_500.jpg

These iOS 4.2-specific features coming in djay for iPad include:

- Full access to iPod library
- Multi-tasking: you can run djay in Automix mode and listen to a continuous, seamless mix running in the background while you surf the web, play games, etc.
- AirPlay: you can wirelessly stream your mix to your Apple TV or AirPort Express station in real-time.
- Fully leverages accelerated CPU extensions (SSE-like) for high-quality audio processing and analysis
- Very low latency (< 3 msec)
- Background audio playback (multi-tasking support)
- Pre-Cueing (via mono/stereo adapter)

The following exclusive video shows the iPad app in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuQl8T6ZHmE

Algoriddim describes the video:
As you can see, djay for iPad analyzes 2 tracks in parallel (BPM detection, beat grids, etc), *while* drawing the waveforms *and* playing / processing 2 tracks in real-time (minimal latency) *and* smoothly rendering graphics (*and* possibly recording the output to storage memory) *and* possibly sharing via AirPlay!

djay for iPad will be carrying over most of the features from the Mac version including BPM syncing, Automix, Automatic transitions, Speed and Pitch changes, and EQ / Gain settings. In fact, Algoriddim tells us that the iPad version will be technically superior to the Mac version in many ways and currently performs better in some aspects. The iPad version is expected to be available in the App Store shortly after iOS 4.2 becomes available. iOS 4.2 is expected by the end of November and they've set up a teaser page to sign up for a notification of the release.

004710-djay1_800.jpg

102602-djay3_800.jpg

102601-djay2_800.jpg

Article Link: Upcoming djay for iPad - Taking Full Advantage of iOS 4.2 Audio Features

Last edited by a moderator:

JakeDTS

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
sweet!

I think this will be really cool. iDJ by numark is not really that great..or good at all actually.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
After watching the video I can see there is a lot of potential in this app.

Soon there should be studio apps for audio engineers. Interesting.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Very cool app. I foresee a lot of overzealous "DJ's" accidentally flinging their iPads onto the ground and cursing the makers of this app.

kavika411

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2006
Alabama
Was that only yesterday?? I forgot already...

How?! They told you yesterday was a day you'd never forget.

Kidding aside, and as someone with no familiarity with current DJ apps but who does like Electronic music, this looks really cool to me. I might be inclined to give it a try (in the privacy of my own home, of course).

Riemann Zeta

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
-Fully leverages accelerated CPU extensions (SSE) for high-quality audio processing and analysis.
And if the iPad used an x86 CPU--which would have SSE instructions--that might mean something.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
Any word on the pricing? Couldn't find it anywhere.

I'd probably get it if it stays below a tenner.

pmjoe

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
Difficult to imagine that the racks of equipment (except for amps and speakers) and stacks of records/CDs I used to haul around to mobile DJ could probably all be replaced by a single iPad - but that seems to be the case. Probably would've saved us an hour of setup/teardown as well.

Intarweb

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2007
It looks cool but unless there's a way to output two different lines of music, one for play and one for queuing, it's worthless for real DJ's.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
It looks cool but unless there's a way to output two different lines of music, one for play and one for queuing, it's worthless for real DJ's.

According to the text, it can do that, but only in mono (e.g. left will be cue/PFL, right will be live out).

It's not great but I don't think at most parties anyone will notice mono output. Especially since this will only be used for home parties, any pro DJ will still prefer a real mixer.

Edit: Sorry arn beat me to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.