Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
Honestly - what's the use?
It's not like gaming is high end at this point on the Mac and it will take a while to be.

For scrolling Safari Windows .... common.... I love Apple but 120 Hz on a machine that's more for production and business use than ever.... I see no reason to get over excited.

I am more interested in the new form factor and hopefully some innovations that make it such a beautiful HW in the PC market.

Reactions: Soi Dog

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Not so surprised by this likely rumor. In conjunction with ProMotion I guess it should handle the battery situation pretty well.

I don't have a display that can do more than 60 Hz, but I know that macOS supports higher refresh rate already if your machine's graphic card can output it and if your display can show it. :)

Pretty recently tried a 144 Hz display (with Windows) and also for desktop work the higher refresh rate makes for a welcome difference in smoothness.

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
For scrolling Safari Windows .... common.... I love Apple but 120 Hz on a machine that's more for production and business use than ever.... I see no reason to get over excited.
If you've ever used a 120/144hz monitor, you'd know that scrolling and everything is smoother compared to a 60hz screen. It is a big difference and hard to go back to 60.

transpo1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Hmmmmmmm… What’s the trade-off?
Mini LED, 120 Hz, M1X, HDMI, SD card slot, MagSafe, no Touch Bar, Magic Keyboard, 1080P WebCam, new design, up to 32 and possibly 64 GB of RAM, up to 8 TB of storage…
Something has to give. Battery life?
Lightness?
Price? Is this the year we get a $3000 starting price, which was actually rumored back in 2019?
I’m still hoping they can get at least 15 hours battery life out of these. Battery life is so important for these pro machines…

Reactions: Tagbert

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Hopefully it comes with Headache Free™ technology as well. I'm just concerned because almost all of the new products, OLED or not, seem to have folks complaining about headaches.

For me, I'm only interested in Macs and iPhones and all the OLED iPhones are problematic as are the M1 MBA and MBP.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
Apple is taking a long time for Mac base to get more options. Yes M1X MacBook Pro's would be great. so would those desktop upgrades iMac 27" and Mac Pro/ Mac mini pro.

Happy this unveiling is finally here.

I dont laugh at the notion of keeping intel around a little longer, needing incremental updates for another run to make sure the intel devices are still great as they are still relied on by many.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021
If you've ever used a 120/144hz monitor, you'd know that scrolling and everything is smoother compared to a 60hz screen. It is a big difference and hard to go back to 60.
I have a 140 Hz monitor for gaming and hooked up to the Mac When I switch form the PC gaming to Mac - working.
It’s smooth but I don’t see such huge benefits when working honestly. I am just saying it’s over hyped, I am not saying it’s not good.

It’s a matter of personal taste (I don’t judge that) - but I would be more excited about the form factor and I pray for a decent front camera.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
It is expected to feature 10 cores, with eight high-performance cores for system intensive tasks and two efficiency cores for basic operations. 16 and 32-core graphics options will be available, and the machines could support up to 64GB RAM.
I doubt they would reduce the number of efficiency cores to only two. You want the MBP's to run cool doing most things (long battery life), not concentrating on high performance cores. They are trying to make higher RAM configurations available which is also important.

M1 provides
The four high-efficiency cores deliver outstanding performance at a tenth of the power. By themselves, these four cores deliver similar performance as the current-generation, dual-core MacBook Air at much lower power. They are the most efficient way to run lightweight, everyday tasks like checking email or browsing the web, and preserve battery life like never before. And all eight cores can work together to provide incredible compute power for the most demanding tasks and deliver the world’s best CPU performance per watt.

Reactions: Vazor

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I'm a huge proponent of 120Hz VRR displays so if this turns out to be correct (and I expect it will) I will be extremely happy. It makes sense to use 120Hz VRR as a differentiator for Pro model devices.

I only wish it was OLED and not LCD.

Reactions: Vazor

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
I doubt they would reduce the number of efficiency cores to only two. You want the MBP's to run cool doing most things (long battery life), not concentrating on high performance cores. They are trying to make higher RAM configurations available which is also important.

M1 provides
I agree, I don't know why they would cut the number of efficiency cores. From a software development standpoint, it becomes easier to develop your OS and apps when all your devices have a base number of efficiency cores. If a tiny $700 iPhone and MacBook Air has 4 efficiency cores, why not your $2k+ MacBook Pro?

My guess is 4 efficiency cores + 8 - 12 performance cores.

LFC2020

macrumors P6
Apr 4, 2020
@LFC2020 get ready to place your order in with me. Apple is not playing games anymore!!!

Don’t tell me you are going to think about it. You are placing your order with me. No if’s and buts!

It’s game over! Prepare your wallet. Sell your Mac to your cousin. 😮
😱😲😱😲😱😲😱😲

Looks like 120hz just got real. 😱😲

Mr Ross the 🐐 Young has spoken, 100% track record.

If we don't get 120hz I'm going to lose It. 😂

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
Apple will have to address all of the shortcomings of M1 vs Intel or they will lose customers to Windows. Many of those problems are deal breakers for power users. Mini LED won't help anything in that department.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.