Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

q64ceo

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2010
Bout damn time. Macs have been stuck at 60hz for built in displays for an eternity. 120hz is a good start. Many laptop manufacturers have 300hz displays, but in all honesty, after 165hz no one can really tell the difference.

Reactions: Vazor and nol2001

r98266

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
120 Hz is nice, but the mini LED tech is a big quality disappointment. Keep the current backlight until you can go full OLED. The light bleed on the iPad isn’t great, and I notice it more the longer I own it. The sooner they release an OLED iPad, the better.

OriginalBaki

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2021
I know, but the amount of upgrades this year, it’s hard to see 120hz happening
Considering that Windows laptops ship with 4K OLED at a lower price range ($1200-$1500), I think it’s table stakes for Apple to offer Mini-Led on their $2300 machines.

OriginalBaki

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2021
Honestly - what's the use?
It's not like gaming is high end at this point on the Mac and it will take a while to be.

For scrolling Safari Windows .... common.... I love Apple but 120 Hz on a machine that's more for production and business use than ever.... I see no reason to get over excited.

I am more interested in the new form factor and hopefully some innovations that make it such a beautiful HW in the PC market.
Most people would not need the high end specs, which is why MBA exists.

Reactions: Kissmo1980

fel10

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2010
Woodstock, GA USA
Now we are taking. Looks like I’m going to be upgrading. Might go with the 14 in though since I use it most of the time with an external monitor. Plus I do find the 16in a bit too big to be carrying it around.

Reactions: UltimateSyn

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
It is Apple we are talking so I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right.
I would honestly laugh if we got 120Hz VRR displays while sticking with the 720P webcam. In reality it's almost guaranteed to have at least a 1080P webcam given how much focus they've put into FaceTime and how they are specifically pushing 1080P FaceTime over WiFi and 5G.

The ISP of the M1 MacBook Pro did wonders for the image though. I compared a 2018 MacBook Pro to an M1 MacBook Pro side by side and the difference was significant. Now let's see what they can do with a sensor that isn't from 2011. 10 years to include the same camera on your top end laptop is outrageous.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If it's not 120hz I probably won't buy. There would no technical reason Apple can't include it and they'd purely be holding that feature for a future upgrade path.

Someirishguy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2016
So my new MacBook will have an even nicer screen hidden in clamshell mode while I keep using a crappy external display. ?

Seriously, Apple, add an semi-affordable external display to the mix. Pleeeeease.
Why not use the MacBook screen as a second screen?

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
SD card slot is still the most legacy, backward looking port on the thing. Stunned they added it back in. HDMI is better, but in the days of docks, less important.

Hope that magsafe isn't at the expense of a USB C port - have gotten used to plugging a bunch of stuff in.

But damn, I bet it's expensive.

Reactions: ModusOperandi

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
When you compare the rumoured specs with what the current MBP has....it's going to be a considerable premium.

Thinking $1899 or $1999 for the base 14".

bonaccij

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2008
The best in the game has spoken.

OMG!!! This will be a game changer. APPLE is about to unleash the beast. Pure Authentic Power! I’m so ready to place my order!!!
A 120Hz display is adequate at this point. Way overdue in my opinion, but they compete with other manufacturers who are putting out 144Hz, 165Hz, 240Hz, and 300Hz displays. This is more of a gesture. It makes me sad. They should be able to put out competing displays. Especially seeing as how some of these other manufacturers are using LG as well and putting out better displays.

NewBench

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2010
A 120Hz display is adequate at this point. Way overdue in my opinion, but they compete with other manufacturers who are putting out 144Hz, 165Hz, 240Hz, and 300Hz displays. This is more of a gesture. It makes me sad. They should be able to put out competing displays. Especially seeing as how some of these other manufacturers are using LG as well and putting out better displays.
Anything above 120hz on a mac just isnt worth it. The majority of people who want anything higher are gamers who will have a PC-based setup anyway. Not saying that there aren't mac users who require more than 120hz but for the vast majority, even pro users, it's more than fine. Just can't see any cost-effective need for Apple to make anything with a higher refresh rate panel, at least not for a long time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.