Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I love my 2009 iMac, iMacs in generally, they are such a beautiful looking and working machine!!

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I think the Mac-Mini shares a motherboard with the 13" MBP and those two releases should align. That said the iMac release that is likely imminent due to increasingly reliable rumor sources, is similar to the rMBP imminent release rumor mill. So we are likely to see a "bunch" of releases in short order.

That actually triggered another rumor over the possible supply-chain crunch. Now confirmed by the Fedex leak.

I think a month from now we will see iMac21, iMac27, iPhone5, rMBP13, MacMini all sitting on store shelves. I also think we will see iPodShuffle, iPodNano, iPodTouch, iPad3Update. Shortly after all that is when I would expect iPadMini, within a month of that.

Check me. I made an official post with a prediction as well.

Rocketman

MM123

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2008
CE
Where TF is the new MacMini? It should be on the shelves at least for 2 months. Apple is so sluggish, iPhone, iPhone and again TF-ing iPhone !

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
The thing with axing the optical drive would be whether its actually worth it.

At the moment the iMac doesn't need to get thinner etc because it's not portable so that argument is kinda silly. If they were to axe it then I would hope they replace it with something useful!

Rather than making the iMac a bit thinner give people something else.

I can't think of what else they would put in it though so it just seems a bit pointless axing the optical drive (to save themselves $5 off the cost of the build or whatever it may be!).

I do hope ssd/hdd hybrids throughout the line though :eek: Would be amazing! Maybe start small on the low end 21" (32/64gb - so basically only OS potentially) and go up to 256gb standard on the top 27" with maybe 128gbs on the middle 2.

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Besides the standard wants, USB 3, Ivy Bridge, better GPU etc., I am hoping for a few things:

1. Either Matte option or much improved anti-reflextive capabilities. The current glass screens are way to reflective for where I would have it.
2. Full size BT keyboard option. I like a wireless keyboard but I still need a keypad!
3. User upgradeable memory AND drives.

furqan8421

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Question for those hoping for updated thunderbolt displays:

Other than USB 3 I'm guessing people are hoping for them to double the resolution, but is that even possible with current hardware? From what I've heard even on the retina macbook scrolling/graphics can be slow from time to time. The power to drive a thunderbolt display at twice its current res may not be there today

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
The thing with axing the optical drive would be whether its actually worth it.

At the moment the iMac doesn't need to get thinner etc because it's not portable so that argument is kinda silly. If they were to axe it then I would hope they replace it with something useful!

Rather than making the iMac a bit thinner give people something else.

I can't think of what else they would put in it though so it just seems a bit pointless axing the optical drive (to save themselves $5 off the cost of the build or whatever it may be!).

I do hope ssd/hdd hybrids throughout the line though :eek: Would be amazing! Maybe start small on the low end 21" (32/64gb - so basically only OS potentially) and go up to 256gb standard on the top 27" with maybe 128gbs on the middle 2.

Removing the OD drive would help in several ways.

1. Thinner. (Not that it really matters with a product like this, but thinner is nicer)
2. More space for other components
3. User-replaceable SSD/HDD?
4. Lower price point.
5. Weight (i.e. less to ship, carry, etc.)

Keeping the OD drive around for a few of the old folks is just stupid. By a $30 external if you need to use your precious discs. Mountain Lion is download only. I don't think Apple even sells disc-based software in their stores anymore. It's time to move on.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
i'd like one of these things but 2TB is just not enough space. It's essentially what's keeping me in the Mac Pro situation,... needing the bays. I can drop in 12TB as I need. I currently have 2TB x 3 with a fourth bay free. If there were only a way to have at least two drives. They currently have this max config. available:

2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive [Add $750.00]

But it's just not enough.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Mountain Lion isn't even available on a disc.

I hope they axe the Disc drive. Such a waste of space.

Drive might be a waste of space for some but for others it's important.
Tell me, what am i supposed to do with the drawers full of stock photography and clip art discs I have but don't need to access every day?

Storing them all on an external drive is not a worthwhile option. Why have to by a drive when they're already stored on good media? Store to the cloud, ya, right. Again pay for something I don't need and oh, yeah, not possible due to the licensing agreements.

People really need to think outside own their own small, selfish ideas and realize people use their computers for more than online games, messaging, and surfing the web. Does having that drive in the machine really bother you? if it does, there's therapy available for that.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando

1. Thinner. (Not that it really matters with a product like this, but thinner is nicer)
The DVD drive is thinner than most other individual components, and doesn't actually impact the thickness of a machine like the iMac.

While true, Apple's not hurting for space enough for this to be a sole reason.

This is a design decision by Apple that's irrelevant to the existence of the optical drive.

4. Lower price point.
Just… no. The drive probably costs Apple less than a few dollars, and it only weighs a few ounces, imperceptible in a machine like this.[/QUOTE]

While I don't disagree that it's likely Apple will drop the optical drive (probably not this revision, though), those are not good reasons to expect it.

jW

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Question: A few years back all but the highest end iMac's were made from all laptop parts, is this still the case? Do any of the iMac's have a desktop class processor? I see all the video cards have the "M" attatchment. But are they all still basically laptops in a larger case?

Correct. Which is why most of us don't like them as a 'professional' machine because you can't upgrade the GPU. Now if they made an official external GPU slot that you could plug in a new GPU card, then I'd be a lot happier.

Meanwhile HP has the Z1 which is the ideal machine for an all-in-one.

http://www.hp.com/united-states/campaigns/workstations/z1_features.html

This is what most of us want the iMac to be...

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
Tell me, what am i supposed to do with the drawers full of stock photography and clip art discs I have but don't need to access every day?

Storing them all on an external drive is not a worthwhile option. Why have to by a drive when they're already stored on good media? Store to the cloud, ya, right. Again pay for something I don't need and oh, yeah, not possible due to the licensing agreements.

People really need to think outside own their own small, selfish ideas and realize people use their computers for more than online games, messaging, and surfing the web. Does having that drive in the machine really bother you? if it does, there's therapy available for that.

Spend $30 and buy an external disc drive. Or $50 a get a 1TB drive.

Why are you being so selfish and requiring an ancient device be included with all iMacs that not only costs Apple money but consumers as well so you can keep your clip art? Apple is digital.

Redfanix

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2009
Bratislava, Slovakia
Question for those hoping for updated thunderbolt displays:

Other than USB 3 I'm guessing people are hoping for them to double the resolution, but is that even possible with current hardware? From what I've heard even on the retina macbook scrolling/graphics can be slow from time to time. The power to drive a thunderbolt display at twice its current res may not be there today

I'm not hoping for retina in Thunderbolt display update.. but for new AH-IPS panel and less glossy screen as Retina MBP... and maybe optical audio output...

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
i'd like one of these things but 2TB is just not enough space. It's essentially what's keeping me in the Mac Pro situation,... needing the bays. I can drop in 12TB as I need. I currently have 2TB x 3 with a fourth bay free. If there were only a way to have at least two drives. They currently have this max config. available:

2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB Solid State Drive [Add $750.00]

But it's just not enough.

Externals?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
As Apple adopts MIMO and 802.11ac there will be less need for optical drives. That doesn't mean optical is dead yet, it just means you will see them mostly over wireless, if you have and need them.

Wouldn't a USB2/3 MIMO/ac dongle be cool?

I think of an optical drive as a single event ingest tool. Not a player. And magnetically stable storage or sneakernet of course.

Rocketman

Last edited:

urbanlung

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2004
location location, location!
My hairdresser told me this morning she bought a 27 inch iMac yesterday from the local Apple Store. Unlucky :p

But this is good news :D Retina displays maybe?

This just proves that Macs are for women and other superficial types and are not proper computers for doing actual work. Unless it comes in a different colour I doubt that it would make any difference to her.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011

Um...we put all our discs to drives and just archived the discs in a book sleeve. We haven't used a CD/DVD in literally 3+ years. Nothing comes on discs anymore.

And I work in graphics/motion graphics at a post house. So we probably have more stock discs then you do.

So who is being selfish here? Just get with the times. ODDs are archaic.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
The DVD drive is thinner than most other individual components, and doesn't actually impact the thickness of a machine like the iMac.

It's still inside. It's still a component that can be removed to make it thinner. Please see the iPhone 5 where they have apparently changed the dock design (after 10 years!) to save on space.

Just… no. The drive probably costs Apple less than a few dollars, and it only weighs a few ounces, imperceptible in a machine like this.

A few dollars? At that point let's remove the SD Slot. And Firewires! It still costs money. Apple is likely looking to cut costs and sales of the iMac are lower then before. If they can save on components, size, weight etc. they will.

----------

Maybe Apple can make a WiFi capable DVD drive for you old timers? ;)

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
It's still inside. It's still a component that can be removed to make it thinner. Please see the iPhone 5 where they have apparently changed the dock design (after 10 years!) to save on space.

A few dollars? At that point let's remove the SD Slot. And Firewires! It still costs money. Apple is likely looking to cut costs and sales of the iMac are lower then before. If they can save on components, size, weight etc. they will.

It's not about thinner..it's about the footprint. The width of an optical drive is huge...the things you can put in that area (better GPU, more storage, etc) vastly outweighs the need for a ODD that barely anyone uses anymore.

If these things are retina by chance, then they'll want the room for a dedicated GPU board/chipset.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002

4. Lower price point.

Keeping the OD drive around for a few of the old folks is just stupid. By a $30 external if you need to use your precious discs. Mountain Lion is download only. I don't think Apple even sells disc-based software in their stores anymore. It's time to move on.

******* you, clown. "Old folks". We're the people who actually use our machines for work, not online games. Get out of your mothers basement and experience the larger world.

Nothing there is "helpful" just different
1. Thinner- it's a freaking DESKTOP. iMac is thin enough now.
2. more space for other components. Really? what would you like?
3. User -replaceable SSD/HDD. WTF is the matter with you. Apple would not make it user-replaceable if they could help it. and who really wants to spend the money for this very expensive per/TB tech
4. Lower price point - Lke that's really going to happen
5. Weight - how often do you carry your iMac (if you own one) around? What, that couple of ounces too much for you?

ILikeTurtles

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
I laughed so hard at this guys quote - I think I wet myself!

I swear, I gotta get paid to spout crap like that. There's nothing to it.:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.