Upgrade to MBP for uni?

marty3026

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
15
5
Hey guys, I am starting a computer science programme in September and I've got a base model MacBook Air 2015 atm. I was really wondering whether I should upgrade to the 2017 MacBook Pro because I'd like to complete the whole 4 years of the course without changing my laptop (not really going to have much money after I enrol and Macs are crazy expensive especially in my country) and I'm not sure my air would be up to the job. I will be using visual studio to code in c# the first year and java and php later on, plus it will be my main machine for pretty much everything. I know that I will be getting a big upgrade in terms of display, speakers, overall build and portability but should I expect a significant jump in performance? I am on the verge, what do you think.. is it worth it? Thank youin advance for your opinions :)

Edit: I would like to learn swift sometime and I'm quite into the apple ecosystem so that's why I'm not even considering a pc.
 

iJohnMajed

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
13
4
I'd say go for it but wait 2 weeks till WWDC announce the new macbook (hopefully). The screen difference itself is worth it for programmers.

But take care of the keyboard issue as you'll doing a lot of writing.
 
  • Like
Reactions: marty3026

marty3026

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
15
5
I'd say go for it but wait 2 weeks till WWDC announce the new macbook (hopefully). The screen difference itself is worth it for programmers.

But take care of the keyboard issue as you'll doing a lot of writing.
Thanks a lot.. I'll wait but with Apple's unpredictability lately I don't believe they'll announce anything. Hope dies last though.
 

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
5,939
3,000
SF Bay Area
I would still wait until after WWDC. If the announce something you will be able to get a good discount on a 2017 machine since it "obsolete" and will be sold on clearance. If they do not announce you have only lost a couple of weeks and still have a lot of time until September.
 
  • Like
Reactions: marty3026

marty3026

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
15
5
I would still wait until after WWDC. If the announce something you will be able to get a good discount on a 2017 machine since it "obsolete" and will be sold on clearance. If they do not announce you have only lost a couple of weeks and still have a lot of time until September.
Yeah, you’re right. Definately waiting for WWDC
 

PatrycjaKozdra

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
55
21
Toronto
If it's for school then I would wait until they have their annual Back To School sale. You can get up to $150 + a free gift (last year I believe it was Beats headphones). If you don't use the headphones just sell it on Kijiji someone will buy it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: marty3026

marty3026

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
15
5
If it's for school then I would wait until they have their annual Back To School sale. You can get up to $150 + a free gift (last year I believe it was Beats headphones). If you don't use the headphones just sell it on Kijiji someone will buy it.
Yeah you’re right. I totally forgot about the back to school sale. Maybe i should check it out. But if a bargain comes up in the summer i’m getting one even if it’s a 2017 model. The displays are just unbelievable esp compared to my air
 
  • Like
Reactions: PatrycjaKozdra

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
919
525
If Apple does not do anything about their keyboards, I would suggest pulling through with the Air. It is doable and not difficult. Quite a few folks in my class are on the Air.
 

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
19,689
6,863
I would NOT recommend a 2017 model MacBook Pro due to the high incidence of keyboard failures, which is a VERY expensive repair once the computer is out-of-warranty.

Some folks have had no problems. Others have had their keyboards replaced (actually, the entire top case must be replaced, even to fix only one bad key!) more than once. What's going to happen when their warranty period expires?

DO NOT expect a new MacBook Pro announcement at WWDC.
It could happen.
But then again, no mention of it might be made.
If it happens, it happens. Then again, maybe not.

Even if a 2018 MBP is "announced", it probably won't become available until later this summer.

But again, I wouldn't buy a 2017 MBP unless my back was against the wall and there was absolutely no other option available...
 

marty3026

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 27, 2014
15
5
You would be bonkers not to wait for wwdc!!
I'm definitely waiting for wwdc. It's only 12 days away so no reason to rush and be sorry afterwards
[doublepost=1527093459][/doublepost]
I would NOT recommend a 2017 model MacBook Pro due to the high incidence of keyboard failures, which is a VERY expensive repair once the computer is out-of-warranty.

Some folks have had no problems. Others have had their keyboards replaced (actually, the entire top case must be replaced, even to fix only one bad key!) more than once. What's going to happen when their warranty period expires?

DO NOT expect a new MacBook Pro announcement at WWDC.
It could happen.
But then again, no mention of it might be made.
If it happens, it happens. Then again, maybe not.

Even if a 2018 MBP is "announced", it probably won't become available until later this summer.

But again, I wouldn't buy a 2017 MBP unless my back was against the wall and there was absolutely no other option available...
Yeah I am familiar with the keyboard issues and that's one reason I am not completely sure about purchasing but then again you can't get anything newer that 2015 without the butterfly switches. I'm pretty sure if the keyboard is the only point of probable failure I'd go ahead and buy one especially if I can get a deal.. I've seen some places selling brand new MacBooks for 400 bucks less and I won't hesitate if I come across one. Thank you very much for the advice though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: The Mercurian
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.