Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

realyungsun

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
NYC
updated to big sur before doing the nvme upgrade with sintech adapter & Samsung 970 evo plus on late 2013 rmpb. Bootrom is on 427.0.0.0. Installed High Sierra 10.13.6 and went smoothly. The disk speeds are great - 1500 MB/s, sleep wake is fine and only 1% drain overnight. However - when im running unplugged, the battery drains incredibly fast. I would say ~20% in 10 minutes or so of light browsing/watching videos on chrome. I will caveat this and say I just replaced the battery as well with a newertech 72W and did the whole power cycle/calibration process. It's a clean install of High Sierra so I doubt spotlight is indexing in the background, I'm wondering if it's the NVME pulling a ton of power, or potentially an issue with the battery. If there's any way for me to monitor the battery drain?

developeralioz

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2020
Hello, I have installed 970 EVO on my 2015 13 inch Macbook. I've installed NvmeFix. But I don't know if the installation was successful? My computer is getting very hot. I'm checking from iStat. The SSD rises to 1.35 A. My processor gets very hot. Only safari is open. Why does the processor get so hot? It was not like that before.

Are these normal?

@otosan

Ekran Resmi 2020-11-14 08.45.19.png

Last edited:

otosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
I used an USB stick and it works fine !!
Thanks a lot @otosan !

Then I used Disk Utility to copy my old SSD into my new one, it seems to work, verify data OK, but failed at the end with the error "APFS inverter failed to invert the volume". After several fails, I used Carbon Copy Cloner, I just needed to start with "alt" for the 1st reboot after cloning. After that, it works fine !

Conclusion: 2TB SSD PNY XLR8 CS3030 is compatible with MacBook Pro 15" late 2013.
Just dont forget to set your startup disk to the new drive after cloning. ??

otosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Hello, I have installed 970 EVO on my 2015 13 inch Macbook. I've installed NvmeFix. But I don't know if the installation was successful? My computer is getting very hot. I'm checking from iStat. The SSD rises to 1.35 A. My processor gets very hot. Only safari is open. Why does the processor get so hot? It was not like that before.

Are these normal?

@otosan

View attachment 1665901
It doesnt look that hot from the picture, 50-60° is quite normal for CPU on mac actually,

by saying very hot, what is the maximum recorded temperature ? and what task is being done at that time ?

if you just updated to big sur (assuming from your wallpaper) your macbook might still doing the indexing process. or some app isnt play nice with the new OS,

did you optimise your fan speed by using the iStat fan control as well ? apple default is not that good in my opinion. They sacrifice temp for lower fan noise.

anyway, am wondering why your ssd temp is not showing in your iStat. Is S.M.A.R.T status verified for your drive in disk utility ?

MauriceG

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2013
updated to big sur before doing the nvme upgrade with sintech adapter & Samsung 970 evo plus on late 2013 rmpb. Bootrom is on 427.0.0.0. Installed High Sierra 10.13.6 and went smoothly. The disk speeds are great - 1500 MB/s, sleep wake is fine and only 1% drain overnight. However - when im running unplugged, the battery drains incredibly fast. I would say ~20% in 10 minutes or so of light browsing/watching videos on chrome. I will caveat this and say I just replaced the battery as well with a newertech 72W and did the whole power cycle/calibration process. It's a clean install of High Sierra so I doubt spotlight is indexing in the background, I'm wondering if it's the NVME pulling a ton of power, or potentially an issue with the battery. If there's any way for me to monitor the battery drain?
IStat Menus

cucu007

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2020
Upgraded from Catalina to Big sur last night, so far things are working fine, except a few of my old apps need to be upgraded. I haven't tested without direct connect (running battery) yet, so time will tell how that goes. Anything to lookout on this regard. I am running mid 2014 15" with Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVME.

developeralioz

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2020
It doesnt look that hot from the picture, 50-60° is quite normal for CPU on mac actually,

by saying very hot, what is the maximum recorded temperature ? and what task is being done at that time ?

if you just updated to big sur (assuming from your wallpaper) your macbook might still doing the indexing process. or some app isnt play nice with the new OS,

did you optimise your fan speed by using the iStat fan control as well ? apple default is not that good in my opinion. They sacrifice temp for lower fan noise.

anyway, am wondering why your ssd temp is not showing in your iStat. Is S.M.A.R.T status verified for your drive in disk utility ?
I'm using macOS Catalina. Yes, the temperature is normal in the previous image. But when I load a little, the temperature reaches 104 degrees. I can cite file copying as an example. The temperature rises and falls fast. It wasn't like that before replacing the SSD. I used to use the Mac's own fan settings before, but the temperature wasn't rising that much.

I don't think NvmeFix is installed properly. How can I understand this?

Is it normal for SSD to go up to 1.38 A?

There are two SSD temperature indicators on the iStat. One of them doesn't work.

Thank you for taking care of me. I would be glad if you could help.

@otosan

Disk Utility:

"Physical Drive:
Device Name: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
Media Name: AppleAPFSMedia
Media Type: SSD
Protocol: PCI-Express
Internal: Yes
Division Map Type: Unknown
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified"

DriveDX:

Ekran Resmi 2020-11-14 17.43.31.png
Ekran Resmi 2020-11-14 17.43.49.png

Last edited:

wangxiaoclark

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Can anyone help to guide me on how to upgrade my firmware to 427.0.0.0 ?

- MacBook Pro 15' late 2013
- Changed SSD from original to Intel 660P 2T
- I had hibernation can't wake up issue. I checked my boot rom version , it was 157.0.0.0.0. I read the thred and found that if the firmware is updated to 427.0.0.0 via Big Sur upgrade, the hibernation wake up issue can be solved because the boot rom is updated.

- I upgraded directly from Mojave last version to Big Sur 11.0.1. however, after successful upgrade, I saw my boot rom version is still 157.0.0.0.0

I already sold my original SSD (256GB). is it because I'm currently using the Intel 660P SSD that I can't upgrade my boot rom firmware?

thanks.

klyno

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2020
I updated my MBP Mid 2014 yesterday, I have windows installed via bootcamp and I got the 427.0.0.0 bootrom version.

About the sleep issue, I put the mbp to sleep from 2AM to 11AM and it woke up with 5% battery drain (from 91% to 86%). Put to sleep later again this afternoon and drained 5% in 5 hours (from 9% to 4%). No kernel panics.

View attachment 1665705

Hopefully the sleep issue is gone but I'm gonna do some tests again and come back later to tell you all.
What ssd do you have?
Have you done the update via an nvme ssd or used the original apple one?
Also how did you initially installed osx on your nvme ssd? Was it via usb or via recovery? (time machine / recovery over Internet)
Thanks.

otosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
I am use adata xpg sx8200 pro 1tb on my MBA 11" 2014. Is it normal speed just w/r 700mbps?
799ae8d532e71f54d0a893b5103e7324.jpg
It's not.

it should hit at least 1300/1000 on 11 inch model of 2014

what is the lane width showing in system report ? is it x4 or x2 ?

otosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Can anyone help to guide me on how to upgrade my firmware to 427.0.0.0 ?

- MacBook Pro 15' late 2013
- Changed SSD from original to Intel 660P 2T
- I had hibernation can't wake up issue. I checked my boot rom version , it was 157.0.0.0.0. I read the thred and found that if the firmware is updated to 427.0.0.0 via Big Sur upgrade, the hibernation wake up issue can be solved because the boot rom is updated.

- I upgraded directly from Mojave last version to Big Sur 11.0.1. however, after successful upgrade, I saw my boot rom version is still 157.0.0.0.0

I already sold my original SSD (256GB). is it because I'm currently using the Intel 660P SSD that I can't upgrade my boot rom firmware?

thanks.
Thats probably is. Seems like firmware update with unofficial ssd is still like a lottery,

sometimes i managed to up the bootrom simply by updating, other time it simply wont go up.

Your best bet is by using original stick indeed

otosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
I'm using macOS Catalina. Yes, the temperature is normal in the previous image. But when I load a little, the temperature reaches 104 degrees. I can cite file copying as an example. The temperature rises and falls fast. It wasn't like that before replacing the SSD. I used to use the Mac's own fan settings before, but the temperature wasn't rising that much.

I don't think NvmeFix is installed properly. How can I understand this?

Is it normal for SSD to go up to 1.38 A?

There are two SSD temperature indicators on the iStat. One of them doesn't work.

Thank you for taking care of me. I would be glad if you could help.

@otosan

Disk Utility:

"Physical Drive:
Device Name: Samsung SSD 970 EVO 500GB
Media Name: AppleAPFSMedia
Media Type: SSD
Protocol: PCI-Express
Internal: Yes
Division Map Type: Unknown
S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified"

DriveDX:

View attachment 1666286
View attachment 1666287
Yes, i've seen 1.2A even with original SSD, so that aint strange under load condition.

as long as its not hike up to that current during idle, i guess nothing to worry about.

but then, 970 is always slightly hotter by default, because it supposed to be a high bandwith ssd.

Reactions: developeralioz

furqanmasmin

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2020
I can confirm that the Big Sur upgrade has fixed the hibernation issues with mid 2013 Macbook Air, tested with power adapter connected and disconnected. After applying power saver defaults, I have left the laptop lid closed and disconnected from the power adapter before midnight. The screen came up instantly when I checked it in the morning. I let it suck all the power with playing youtube videos. A few hours later it went to sleep mode and came up online after I connect it to power. Everything is working as it should.

My setup is black, small Sintech adapter (tape was applied out of the box) with Adata XPG 8200 pro 1 TB.
Hi @turkay..we have same setup of mba + ssd..how much speed u get from adata sx8200 pro...im only get around R/W 700..if u speed highr than mine, maybe my ssd got problem i guess...
e719098e04efabd8f977383f52862363.jpg

realyungsun

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
NYC
So with light browsing (not looking at videos) on chrome I'm hovering around -1100mA or so drainage on average. However...I've seen it peak at like -3,224mA while watching youtube in chrome and that... seems to be abnormal afaik. Sometimes it hovers over 2,000mA just doing light browsing. Brightness at about 50%.

Is this drainage normal? I feel like the oem mac battery did not drain this fast, but it's been over 7 years since I had it new so I can't remember. Was hoping to breathe some new life into this guy with a new batt/ssd but it seems like it eats juice really quickly and was unsure if it was the new SSD, the new battery, or it's just normal.

Late 2013 rmbp 11,1
High Sierra 10.13.6 (Clean install)
Firmware: 427.0.0.0
Samsung 970 evo plus with sintech adapter TRIM enabled, Latest Firmware (2B2QEXM7)
Newertech 72W battery brand new and completed power calibration
Reset SMC

I set the fans to medium in iStat Menus (hence 3752rpm). If i go back to system controlled it hovers around 1300rpm.

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 12.05.00 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 12.06.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 12.14.38 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-15 at 12.12.53 AM.png

otosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
Hi @turkay..we have same setup of mba + ssd..how much speed u get from adata sx8200 pro...im only get around R/W 700..if u speed highr than mine, maybe my ssd got problem i guess...
e719098e04efabd8f977383f52862363.jpg
This speed is normal if the PCI lane only showing x2. But it means your adapter or board is not normal

otosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
So with light browsing (not looking at videos) on chrome I'm hovering around -1100mA or so drainage on average. However...I've seen it peak at like -3,224mA while watching youtube in chrome and that... seems to be abnormal afaik. Sometimes it hovers over 2,000mA just doing light browsing. Brightness at about 50%.

Is this drainage normal? I feel like the oem mac battery did not drain this fast, but it's been over 7 years since I had it new so I can't remember. Was hoping to breathe some new life into this guy with a new batt/ssd but it seems like it eats juice really quickly and was unsure if it was the new SSD, the new battery, or it's just normal.

Late 2013 rmbp 11,1
High Sierra 10.13.6 (Clean install)
Firmware: 427.0.0.0
Samsung 970 evo plus with sintech adapter TRIM enabled, Latest Firmware (2B2QEXM7)
Newertech 72W battery brand new and completed power calibration
Reset SMC

I set the fans to medium in iStat Menus (hence 3752rpm). If i go back to system controlled it hovers around 1300rpm.

View attachment 1667347

View attachment 1667348

View attachment 1667356
View attachment 1667353
One of macbook air unit i handle is hovering around -1200mA to -1500mA during light task with full brightness and WiFi on. So i guess thats number pretty normal.

otosan

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
I Use sintech long black adapter...what kind adapter that can up mu ssd speed?
Dont use sintech long adapter with SX8200 pro,

the space is way too tight for the bottom component of the ssd. Not to mention the potential bending which might cause solder breakage.

get short one. dont have to be sintech. sintech is no longer leader in adapter game. if any, getting it from reseller might only increase chance of getting fake sintech.

amr-213

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2020
Has anyone figured how to upgrade to bootrom 427
i was on catalina and upgraded to BigSur after that i did a clean install of BigSur just to start fresh
i just noticed that my bootrom is still at 157
i have a 2014 macbook pro 15, 11.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.