Upgrading 2013/2014 Macbook Pro SSD to M.2 NVMe

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maxthackray, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. vk2fro macrumors member

vk2fro

I have edited that post slightly so people won't get confused when their checksum doesn't match D5h - as each checksum per rom revision will be different.

2. pedrorubster, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018

pedrorubster macrumors newbie

Hi. I just bought a Intel 760p 128gb with the ST-NGFF2013-C (the large black one), but I don't have my macbook to test it atm. It's a early 2015 Macbook Pro 13 inch, can anyone vouch for this combo?

EDIT: Also, do I really need to to the kapton tape insulation?

3. vk2fro macrumors member

vk2fro

Yes if it is not already applied to the adapter for you as it prevents the adapter shorting against the shielding on the computers connector.

4. swagpatrol macrumors newbie

is the hibernation problem still unresolved? with most compatible ssd like xg4+taped adaptor ?

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Hibernation works fine if you mod your EFI firmware

6. Cmd+Q macrumors newbie

I have put together a write-up as RTFD in TextEdit to summarize the state of upgrading 2013-2014 MacBooks with NVMe drives thus far. The pictures are from an upgrade of the girlfriend's MacBook Air last week.

Have a look in case you are new to this thread - or a regular. :)

Happy to make changes in case there is something incorrect or misrepresented.

Attached Files:

7. vk2fro macrumors member

vk2fro

Nice writeup CMD + Q

Now everyone should be able to follow that writeup to get things going :)

8. tabormeister macrumors newbie

tabormeister

Threw a 960 Evo in a 2017 Macbook Air with the Sintech -C adapter, worked like magic. All 4 lanes lit up, didn't even have to Kapton. Getting 1500MBps in+out.

9. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

How's the battery life, temps, and sleep/hibernation?

10. tabormeister macrumors newbie

tabormeister

Seemed fine, tested it for a few days. Sold it to a friend of mine, she hasn't complained yet. I saw in another thread 2015+ rMBP and Airs have EFI code that allows hibernation without bugs but idk, seemed to just work like magic. Formatted APFS sand Trim was on by default, I didn't even have to trimforce

11. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

That's great news. I have one early 2015 Air running an OEM 256 GB Samsung and one early 2015 Air running an Intel 600p. If I feel the need to upgrade the Samsung, I'll keep the Samsung in mind.

12. pfleet macrumors newbie

pfleet

I installed a 512GB Intel 760P in my early MacBook Pro 2015 13" yesterday. So far, it has woken from sleep properly, and I get much better performance than I was getting with my TarDisk Pear solution (which really was a huge hassle and a disappointment over several years). I was so pleased to find this thread, because I didn't realize I had the option to upgrade the SSD in my Mac with a new drive.

I used the same adapter as you (I ordered it from Amazon, and even though it said it would be delivered between July 10 and July 31, it showed up before the 10th). I did use the Kapton tape, but I don't know if that was really necessary.

Attached Files:

13. Eliah macrumors newbie

14. JavierDiaz4 macrumors regular

Am I reading all of this correctly? I can't just swap my 512gb SSD on my Wife's 2013 Macbook Pro Retina to a 1TB SSD without a "BootRom" and other finessing? Is it just safer to just get an external SSD for extra storage and call it a day? Especially @ the cost of a regular SSD vs a PCIE SSD. Any thoughts or corrections of my probably poorly informed statements?

15. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

The bootrom is code that is stored inside the motherboard's non-volatile ram and every Macbook will have a bootrom. It is recommended that you install the latest OS to the Macbook with the original SSD inside. This will ensure that the Macbook is running the latest bootrom. Installing the latest OS with a third-party drive will not update the Macbook's bootrom.

If you are swapping the 512 GB for an Apple OEM 1 TB drive, you can make the swap and install the latest OS which will update the the bootrom if necessary.

Yes, an external is probably the simplest so you don't have to worry about excess heat, kernel panics, sleep issues, and battery drain.

Please correct the above-listed information if I am incorrect. I based the above on my mid-2013 Air.

16. kikangh, Jul 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2018

kikangh macrumors newbie

I believe someone did in earlier posts. A search in the thread should help you find it I guess.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2018 ---
    Hi, did you have flashed your bootrom before setting hibernate to 25 ?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 13, 2018 ---
    Hi Gilles,

I read in earlier posts that the module to flash the bootrom was cheap, but the only one I have been able to find so far from France is this one : https://www.ebay.fr/itm/NEW-EFI-ROM...409462?hash=item4b41bc57b6:g:Z2UAAOSw~mpa4G3b

With a price around 50€, it's not exactly what I call cheap, but I'm having too much problems with sleep to remain that way. If I can get confirmation, I will proceed with the purchase ASAP. I am not near Tour, sadly ;-).

Despite setting my hibernate mode to 0, I still get a blank screen in the morning and waking my rMBP 15" requires powering it down by holding the power button, then booting it with it chiming twice as it fails to read the hibernate dump and then starting from scratch...

Also, do you know where I could find kapton tape here in France, all I see are from abroad, and I only need the one tiny piece to prevent the shield from shorting with the sintech adaptor.

Thanks in advance for your advices,

Best regards,

(another) Gilles

Edit : typo

17. voldemurt macrumors newbie

i install samsung 960 evo + adapter into my macbook pro late 2103, but laptop do not detect SSD drive
    boot rom was updated during Sierra update to MBP112.0145.B00, SMC 2.18f15
    is it correct bootrom version for NVME support or version must be other?

18. kikangh macrumors newbie

Hi, you mentioned Sierra update. Did you mean High Sierra? You need to update to High Sierra BEFORE you install the NVMe SSD in your rMBP.

19. voldemurt macrumors newbie

Correct , i update to High Sierra. after it install NVME ssd + connector. before it i connect SSD via usb connector and format it, but if install SSD instead of original my mbpr do not detect it

20. kikangh macrumors newbie

What type of partition table did you use ? What filesystem did you choose?

Are booting with a usb stick prepared for High Sierra installation?

21. voldemurt macrumors newbie

boot from prepeared usb stick High Sierra. ssd was partition in windows and was created one partiotion on it

22. kikangh macrumors newbie

Did you open the disk Utility from the usb stick ? The drive should appear in it and from there you should be able to repartition/reformat it to Efi partition table (if I remember well) and then hfs+ or apfs depending on if you need bootcamp or not.

23. voldemurt macrumors newbie

there in not drive in disk utility. my laptop do not detect SSD! i write above.
    u make bootable ubutu and it with lsblk command it also not detect any nvme device.

24. Audit13 macrumors 68040

Audit13

Which adapter for you get? Did you try applying kapton tape to the adapter? Can you test the drive and adapter in another Macbook?

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.