Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
dupe post

tho i do find it ironic that those not in favor of downvoting...downvoted my post. lol!

but because none of this matters whatsoever, it doesnt bother me one bit. ive got a real life to worry about!

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
dupe post

tho i do find it ironic that those not in favor of downvoting...downvoted my post. lol!

but because none of this matters whatsoever, it doesnt bother me one bit. ive got a real life to worry about!

Or maybe someone was micro-trolling and downvoted it for no reason...

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
downvoting is not a bad thing. it doesn't affect an account or anything like that, it is just an opinion made in convenience of a click.

if someone gets that upset about a downvote then they take this forum way too seriously.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
In agreement with GoCubsGo, I would also suggest that both buttons be removed. There are so many reasons why a post might receive up or down votes, many having nothing to do with the quality or usefulness of the post, that the whole concept seems flawed. The meaning of any voting is enigmatic and, therefore, of little informational value.

I would suggest that if one has a response to a post...then write it. It would make clear what ones thoughts are, rather than the difficult to interpret voting. And if one is not sufficiently motivated to take the time to write a response...then pass the post by.

As "I agree" or "+1" responses are a Rule violation, I would not anticipate an increase in such posts...and they would likely be reported and removed, as they are now.

I agree in removing both. I can see this getting out of hand in the PRSI section especially.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Thank you for returning the down vote button :).

I agree with other posters that think both the up vote and down vote should be removed from the PRSI. Things get pretty bad in there as it is.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
downvoting is not a bad thing. it doesn't affect an account or anything like that, it is just an opinion made in convenience of a click.

if someone gets that upset about a downvote then they take this forum way too seriously.

I have seen other forums where there was a downvote button and almost every post had some downvoted no matter what it was talking about. I'm not upset if someone disagrees with me, but if everything is being downvoted for no reason it's just stupid.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
If you are in disagreement with someone, posting a reason makes much more sense than simply down-voting

Downvoting is so much easier. Downvoters don't have to state the reason for their downvote. It takes something to motivate disagreement. ;)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
it's a work in progress. The voting system is being tweaked as we go.

there's a balanced goal here eventually

arn

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Same for me. It's because we're special.

Well I know I am :D

Cletus.png

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I have 986 posts and the only button I see points up.

Oddly, most of the posts in this thread have negative ratings. Bug at work?

I restricted it to Mods and Admins for now, as we keep working on it.

arn

lannister80

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2009
Chicagoland
META: Negative-voted comments?

Is there some new downvote button I'm not aware of? Today was the first day I've ever seen posts with negative "upvotes".

And I did confirm they're negative by upvoting one, which reduced the numerical value from -2 to -1.

What gives?

----------

Maybe I have to have 500 comments to see the downvote button.

I probably have 3000 comments, but PRSI doesn't count! :mad:

edk99

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2009
FL
It looks like the down-vote button came back for a few minutes (an hour or two) and disappeared again. We use to have it at one point and then it was removed probably because people were getting their feelings hurt from the negativity.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Either have both buttons or none. Only having up votes is akin to giving everyone a participation trophy.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I have seen other forums where there was a downvote button and almost every post had some downvoted no matter what it was talking about. I'm not upset if someone disagrees with me, but if everything is being downvoted for no reason it's just stupid.

This isn't other forums so I feel that's irrelevant; every post here wasn't down voted when we had the down-vote option, they seem to have removed it after a few people whined about how they feel it's a negative thing and they want the forum to be roses and rainbows and that people shouldn't be able to do anything negative because it hurts their feelings. </3

as if down votes make this forum some kind of grungy place or something. Just because something is somewhat negative doesn't mean it's bad.

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
There is someone who participates in the PRSI section whom I (almost without exception) disagree with. I find his positions are consistently wrong, uninformed, and more often-than-not tired regurgitations of the sort of nonsense you hear on right-wing talk-radio.

I wouldn't bother "down voting" something a person like that posted.

Material like that falls into one of three categories: Either it is so patently offensive and contrary to forum rules that it needs to be reported to Moderators. It could be something that needs to be discussed and/or disputed with contrary arguments and evidence. Or it ought to be outright ignored.

Those three responses really ought to cover the gamut of all possible material people post here. I simply fail to see what purpose a "down vote" serves. "I disagree with what you say, but I'm too lazy to write my own response..." doesn't really cut it.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
it's a work in progress. The voting system is being tweaked as we go.

there's a balanced goal here eventually

arn

I like how Ars Technica did it. They show not just the total, but the actual counts in each direction.

If there's going to be down-votes at all, then I think both counts are important information. Without it, a harmless post and a very controversial post can both have totals at or near zero.

For example, a harmless post could have a single +1, while a controversial post could have -99 and +100, showing both strongly held views and a nearly equal division. Yet with only the totals shown, both posts only show +1. I can think of few things less transparent or informative. Even an upvote-only system is better than a total-only system.

And yes, I realize that feelings will be hurt when there are down-votes. I have no strong opinion on that either way. I only really care that if there are down-votes, that both counts be shown, not just the total.

Sydde

macrumors 68030
Aug 17, 2009
IOKWARDI
Either have both buttons or none. Only having up votes is akin to giving everyone a participation trophy.

The primary point of the upvote button was to reduce
clutter. Problem is, those posts have a name attached to them, the vote button does not. That is one thing that needs to be changed, make the buttons non-anon (click on the number to see a name list).

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
This isn't other forums so I feel that's irrelevant; every post here wasn't down voted when we had the down-vote option, they seem to have removed it after a few people whined about how they feel it's a negative thing and they want the forum to be roses and rainbows and that people shouldn't be able to do anything negative because it hurts their feelings. </3

as if down votes make this forum some kind of grungy place or something. Just because something is somewhat negative doesn't mean it's bad.

look, if you agree with what someone said, than there is no reason to restate it and it's fine to just +1 it. Down voting, on the other hand, is different. If you disagree you ought to say why because, as a previous poster pointed out, there could be numerous reasons for disagreement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.