Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
Just to update this thread. Received my USB 3 Gmyle express card today for my late 2008 Macbook pro running 10.9.2. Got the Mavericks version of Multi-Beast checked the USB3 only installed and up and running with no trouble.

Presently in the middle of a CCC backup and running like a dream.

Got the Gmyle card from the Amazon store.

guys, any idea with this product ? This ebay seller never show the whole card and sell it for 20 pounds ! I'm wondering is this a GMYLE express card everybody talking about here... please advice:confused:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Port-Su...pple-MacBook-Pro-15-17-/251484192496#viTabs_0

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
guys, any idea with this product ? This ebay seller never show the whole card and sell it for 20 pounds ! I'm wondering is this a GMYLE express card everybody talking about here... please advice:confused:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Port-Su...pple-MacBook-Pro-15-17-/251484192496#viTabs_0

That looks very much like the GMYLE card but don't get it there. I paid only Sterling nine pounds from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GMYLE-Expre...TF8&qid=1399366059&sr=8-2&keywords=gmyle+card

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Hi nebo1ss

Thank you for the link !

i just made an order :D:D:D

hope this 9 pounds card will work !

should i download the multibeast (which version) and install it first?

I downloaded and installed Multibeast just before inserting the card. I got the Mavericks version of Multibeast and when you run it there are many check boxes for various options. You only need to check one option the USB3 option.

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
I downloaded and installed Multibeast just before inserting the card. I got the Mavericks version of Multibeast and when you run it there are many check boxes for various options. You only need to check one option the USB3 option.

hi nebo1ss

i installed only the USB 3.0 kext from Multibeast Maverick....

Plug in the expresscard still nothing happen

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 4.11.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 4.11.08 AM.png
    125 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

AlienSexGod

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Same here. Anybody have suggestions?

I did the same with multibeast and got it working in Mavericks .... for a while then it became intermittent... dismountng drive during transfer. Mavericks is broken for Expresscard 34 at the moment!

Anyone know a plug an play USB 3 expresscard for OS X 10.9 ?

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
Same here. Anybody have suggestions?

I did the same with multibeast and got it working in Mavericks .... for a while then it became intermittent... dismountng drive during transfer. Mavericks is broken for Expresscard 34 at the moment!

Anyone know a plug an play USB 3 expresscard for OS X 10.9 ?

I installed multibeast maverick version (the USB kext only)

plug in the card, restart, detect nothing....

please help

Attachments

• IMG_9920.JPG
    IMG_9920.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 573

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Not sure why you having problems. My card is working fine, I just did a CCC backup using the USB 3 on the card. Sorry I did not respond prior I just got back yesterday from three weeks away.

This is what it looks like under PCI on the Hardware config.

ExpressCard:

Type: USB eXtensible Host Controller
Driver Installed: Yes
MSI: Yes
Bus: PCI
Slot: ExpressCard
Vendor ID: 0x1b21
Device ID: 0x1042
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x174c
Subsystem ID: 0x2104
Revision ID: 0x0000
Link Width: x1
Link Speed: 2.5 GT/s

Last edited:

AlienSexGod

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
I installed multibeast maverick version (the USB kext only)

plug in the card, restart, detect nothing....

please help

Go Multibeast 6.2.2 / Drivers / Misc tab on left , tick USB 3.0 Universal/ Load

Kiss my ass! :cool:

If you still have problems maybe we will have to shoot you?:eek:

Mine is an AXE brand & reports

ExpressCard:

Vendor ID: 0x1912
Device ID: 0x0015
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0xffff
Subsystem ID: 0xffff
Revision ID: 0x0002

JustinePaula

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
Darn, was so happy to read new 17 inch Macbook Pro, then it dawned on me, the post was from 2010...A girl can only dream of decent professional size screens on a laptop...:mad::mad::mad::(:confused:

Reactions: cscheat

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
Go Multibeast 6.2.2 / Drivers / Misc tab on left , tick USB 3.0 Universal/ Load

Kiss my ass! :cool:

If you still have problems maybe we will have to shoot you?:eek:

Mine is an AXE brand & reports

ExpressCard:

Vendor ID: 0x1912
Device ID: 0x0015
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0xffff
Subsystem ID: 0xffff
Revision ID: 0x0002

Any luck with 10.9.5 ???

AlienSexGod

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2008
Pls update if any instructions for Yosemite!

Thanks

Just updated to 10.10.1 so may have another try later but only AFTER I have a current Time Machine backup. Last time my TM was 2 weeks old ( I am on the road) and the Hack to try and fix USB 3 made the whole Mac unbootable!
I had to make a bootable Yosemite USB stick and overwrite my install. Insane hassle! Apple really suck sometimes!!!!

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010
Just updated to 10.10.1 so may have another try later but only AFTER I have a current Time Machine backup. Last time my TM was 2 weeks old ( I am on the road) and the Hack to try and fix USB 3 made the whole Mac unbootable!
I had to make a bootable Yosemite USB stick and overwrite my install. Insane hassle! Apple really suck sometimes!!!!

I really hope there will be a permanent solution to this !

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

qwertyale

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Just installed today on Yosemite 10.10.0

Hi, people just want to share with you I'd success installing this card, and I would like to make a question for you:

GMYLE® ExpressCard 34mm to USB 3.0 Adapter (Dual Port)

at Macbook Pro 17 mid2010
with OS X Yosemite 10.10.0
(I didn't update yet for last ver. because I made a clean install)

First I installed this pkg:
CalDigit_USB3_Driver_10_10_X_1.4.4.pkg

But it doesn't function:
System report says ExpressCard driver is not installed

next I installed only this kext:
CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext ver.1.3.8

using
Kext Drop.app ver.1.1

I didn't installed this kext that usually install together
CalDigitFastIO.kext ver.2.6.1

Do you think I need to install it?
I'm not an expert and fear to mess it all.

I attached my system report screenshot:
post-1485967-0-72715600-1423482817.png

MSI shows "NO", don't know if this is important

iTunes sync tested and OK with 3 iDevices AT REGULAR MACBOOK PORTS, NOT AT CARD 2 PORTS THAT EVEN CAN'T CHARGE THE IPAD.

Files transferred from USB3 external hard drive with success and apparently fast than USB2 port. Only strange thing is the transfer is not continuous, apparently goes on blocks of data.

Thanks in advance.

TheBogeyMan

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2013
Last I heard, the expresscard slot on the 2010-ish MBPs were disabled in Yosemite. Is this not the case? Am I "mis-remembering"?

I have a MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010) running 10.10.2. Will a USB3 ExpressCard work?

cscheat

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2010

Last I heard, the expresscard slot on the 2010-ish MBPs were disabled in Yosemite. Is this not the case? Am I "mis-remembering"?

I have a MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010) running 10.10.2. Will a USB3 ExpressCard work?

Very keen to find out what. if any, solid solutions have been found of late.

Hi, people just want to share with you I'd success installing this card, and I would like to make a question for you:

GMYLE® ExpressCard 34mm to USB 3.0 Adapter (Dual Port)

at Macbook Pro 17 mid2010
with OS X Yosemite 10.10.0
(I didn't update yet for last ver. because I made a clean install)

First I installed this pkg:
CalDigit_USB3_Driver_10_10_X_1.4.4.pkg

But it doesn't function:
System report says ExpressCard driver is not installed

next I installed only this kext:
CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext ver.1.3.8

using
Kext Drop.app ver.1.1

I didn't installed this kext that usually install together
CalDigitFastIO.kext ver.2.6.1

Do you think I need to install it?
I'm not an expert and fear to mess it all.

I attached my system report screenshot:

MSI shows "NO", don't know if this is important

iTunes sync tested and OK with 3 iDevices AT REGULAR MACBOOK PORTS, NOT AT CARD 2 PORTS THAT EVEN CAN'T CHARGE THE IPAD.

Files transferred from USB3 external hard drive with success and apparently fast than USB2 port. Only strange thing is the transfer is not continuous, apparently goes on blocks of data.

Thanks in advance.

I guess I found the solution for 10.10.2

Will report back soon

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
Most of my portable USB drives are now USB3 and was looking for a faster transfer on my 2010 and 2011 MBP.
Accept that it might not be at USB3 capable speeds, but just something faster than USB2.

Is it work trying one of these ExpressCard's or what other options are available, such as a Thunderbolt converter to USB3 ?

Using Yosemite 10.10.3

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
Most of my portable USB drives are now USB3 and was looking for a faster transfer on my 2010 and 2011 MBP.
Accept that it might not be at USB3 capable speeds, but just something faster than USB2.

Is it work trying one of these ExpressCard's or what other options are available, such as a Thunderbolt converter to USB3 ?

Using Yosemite 10.10.3
Update:

I bought the GMYLE® ExpressCard 34mm to USB 3.0 Adapter (Dual Port) from Amazon for $8.99 plus $4.99 shipping.

Installed MultiBeast for Yosemite, plugged in the card and connected a USB3 portable HDD and it worked right away.

I copied a test file to the same drive using the original USB ports and it took 7 mins, then the same file using the USB3 port and it 2mins.

Very happy with the upgrade, and that I am using the express card slot for the first time.

wildatheart

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2008
Update:

I bought the GMYLE® ExpressCard 34mm to USB 3.0 Adapter (Dual Port) from Amazon for $8.99 plus $4.99 shipping.

Installed MultiBeast for Yosemite, plugged in the card and connected a USB3 portable HDD and it worked right away.

I copied a test file to the same drive using the original USB ports and it took 7 mins, then the same file using the USB3 port and it 2mins.

Very happy with the upgrade, and that I am using the express card slot for the first time.

I just bought the same card in hope of repeating your success, but so far I haven't got it to work - In Multibeast, I have installed only 'USB 3.0 Universal' under Drivers>Misc - Is that correct?

MBP 17" early 2011

Many thanks!

ron1004

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010
Louisville, KY
I just bought the same card in hope of repeating your success, but so far I haven't got it to work - In Multibeast, I have installed only 'USB 3.0 Universal' under Drivers>Misc - Is that correct?

MBP 17" early 2011

Many thanks!
That sounds like what I did on my late 2011 and my wife's 2010 17" MBP and each worked first time.

The 2010 has an earlier Yosemite version, and mine 10.10.3

Make sure that you use the correct MultiBeast version.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.