Valve Software Teases with New Image Leaks

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Valve Software has sent out teaser images to a least some of the Mac media with very little other information. The emails came from Valve's co-founder Gabe Newell. MacRumors received the following image tonight:

"sorbet coopers.jpg"

Our friends at Macworld also received an image, posted by @chartier

"bee torso crops.jpg"

The last time Valve released teaser images to the Mac media, it was to promote the announcement of Steam for the Mac platform. We expect this set of images is related to the Portal Alternative Reality Game likely promoting their imminent Portal 2 game launch.

The original Portal game was an incredibly fun and well received game featuring physics based puzzles in which the player manipulated two different teleporting portal entrances. Portal 2 will launch on April 19th for the Mac, PC, PlayStation 3, and XBox 360.

Article Link: Valve Software Teases with New Image Leaks

hyperion-mr

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2007
Anagram

Those two file names are anagrams of one another. They probably represent something more interesting...now someone figure that out.

-hyp

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Those two file names are anagrams of one another. They probably represent something more interesting...now someone figure that out.

-hyp
Maybe the numbers are ASCII and the scans actually say something? Haven't tried decoding yet, but interesting. Better be portal 2!!

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I cannot wait for Portal 2. I discovered Portal on my 360 a few months ago and couldn't believe what I had been missing. I still haven't beaten all of the levels.

LividChihuahua

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
those two images can be overlapped, the bottom right of the lower can go on the upper left of the top one (the "223" is the line up, the orage line is at the same angle and fits, it's not smooth but the grunge effect is the reason)

Valve does stuff like this for pretty much everything, although I doubt this has a lot to do with Portal2, most of the Portal 2 things had been to push speculation about Half Life (Episode) 3, and why would they only be releasing them to mac news sites if it was about portal2/halflife3 (lets no fool ourselves here, there not going to gear marketing towards mac when they'll sell a fraction of the copies they would on the PC)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
those two images can be overlapped, the bottom right of the lower can go on the upper left of the top one (the "223" is the line up, the orage line is at the same angle and fits, it's not smooth but the grunge effect is the reason)

Valve does stuff like this for pretty much everything, although I doubt this has a lot to do with Portal2, most of the Portal 2 things had been to push speculation about Half Life (Episode) 3, and why would they only be releasing them to mac news sites if it was about portal2/halflife3 (lets no fool ourselves here, there not going to gear marketing towards mac when they'll sell a fraction of the copies they would on the PC)
I'm sure other non-Mac sites got images too. They just haven't posted them yet.

Update: here you go: http://valvearg.com/wiki/Valve_ARG_Wiki

silby101

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2003

-hyp
Quickly putting into an anagram website, there are some interesting combinations:

Reboot Corpses
Reboot Process
Probe Scooters
Be Processor To

And about 7000 others.... :confused:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Woot, can't wait! I wonder how well it would run?

Quickly putting into an anagram website, there are some interesting combinations:

Reboot Corpses
Reboot Process
Probe Scooters
Be Processor To

And about 7000 others.... :confused:
Not over 9000 though. =(

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Can a link the the original file be uploaded un modified or resized? I loved the original portal secrets. I actually dove pretty deep into that stuff with the bbs forum and the slow scan television decoding of audio. So yeah a link to the original would be nice.

Thanks

scootaru

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2008
Columbus, OH
More interesting anagrams...

October posers
October proses
October spores
October per sos
October re sops
October rep sos
October reps so
October res ops
October res sop

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I just tried different color filters/etc to see if taking out colors or doing 3d glasses/etc makes a difference. So far the images are too small to tell. I did however noticed that the images perfectly align after rotating them. The edges are perfect. Attached are the two images combined. I'm guessing there are others.

I also tried taking the numbers to see if they are any type of ascii text. The numbers are too high to be ascii. I think we just need to wait for other images.

Update: Seems like someone already figured this out while I was typing ;)

Attachments

lfc

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2010
Australia
It's possible that each filename is a different anagram, just with the same letters, and eventually spells out a short sentence.
Not likely but the thought came to my head so I may as well put it out there.

This is interesting
http://valvearg.com/wiki/The_Ball#New_Tones

There are new sounds playing in The Ball when certain criteria are met.

While playing the game, new sounds will play when any of these criteria are met:
Unknown Amount of Time (need help finding this)
EXACTLY 13 Monster Kills
EXACTLY 3 Monkey kills
Unknown Found Secrets in a level (need help finding this, what is known is that it is more than 4)
EXACTLY 2 Deaths
After the sound plays, hitting ESC will show the criteria you met highlighted in a blue color. Being over or under these exact numbers will remove the blue highlight, they must be exact. Perhaps getting everything highlighted blue (all special criteria met) could result in finding the Aperture login page for The Ball?

Last edited by a moderator:

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
The divide between PC and Mac in gaming is thinning.
Not even close. As long as Apple has control on the hardware PC gaming will never be big on mac. Most PC gamers play on desktops. Majority of those desktops are built from hand picked parts. Gaming will not take off. Fact is no gamer wants a Mac pro when he can build his own rig.

malexander

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

HALF LIFE 3! HALF LIFE 3! HALF LIFE 3!

Or a new game would be good too..

Honestly, I never heard of Steam before Valve announced that it and its games were coming to the Mac last year. So I downloaded Portal for free and played through the story (not the extra advanced levels yet though) and absolutely loved it. Then I bought the Orange Box on sale for $20 and played HL2 and the episodes and absolutely loved it. I still have to get into Team Fortress though. But then I developed an addiction of buying Windows games on sale which I can't even play yet. I have find the darned OS X restore CD and install Windows. So now I have a whole mess of good games waiting to be played on my Steam account, including Assassin's Creed, Bioshock 1+2, Dead Space, GTA IV, Batman Arkham Asylum, and Mirror's Edge. My point is, I love Portal.

But with my situation, I might wait to buy Portal 2 until a better sale is happening.

I also can't wait for Black Mesa.

okboy

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2010
Not even close. As long as Apple has control on the hardware PC gaming will never be big on mac. Most PC gamers play on desktops. Majority of those desktops are built from hand picked parts. Gaming will not take off. Fact is no gamer wants a Mac pro when he can build his own rig.
I have to call major BS on this. There are gamers on every console, from Pong to the PS3, on cellphones, on tablets, none of which allow you to pick your own parts in any major way. And those systems actually have decent advantages technologically, because the hardware is standardized (a benefit already), plus people are talking about programming for consoles low-level, meaning bypassing Direct X (in the case of the Xbox 360) and designing specifically for the CPU, creating a big leap in performance. You can imagine something similar being possible on Mac due to the more limited combinations of hardware. Or iOS devices, which I think I heard someone at Epic talking about. Add to that that you can now use any AMD card on Mac Pros (right?) and you have no argument, sir. :p

But let's fight about this elsewhere cause this Valve stuff is pretty cool.

AndroidfoLife

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
I have to call major BS on this. There are gamers on every console, from Pong to the PS3, on cellphones, on tablets, none of which allow you to pick your own parts in any major way. And those systems actually have decent advantages technologically, because the hardware is standardized (a benefit already), plus people are talking about programming for consoles low-level, meaning bypassing Direct X (in the case of the Xbox 360) and designing specifically for the CPU, creating a big leap in performance. You can imagine something similar being possible on Mac due to the more limited combinations of hardware. Or iOS devices, which I think I heard someone at Epic talking about. Add to that that you can now use any AMD card on Mac Pros (right?) and you have no argument, sir. :p

But let's fight about this elsewhere cause this Valve stuff is pretty cool.
People use Computer gaming because it is meant to be the optimization of graphics people who play these games dictate how they want certain hardware. They want high end video cards. PC gaming is dictated by the choices of hardwa PC gamers want. If people wanted a one size fit all option they can't upgrade then they would get consoles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.