Carrier Verizon Customers what's on your mind about AT&T's recent move?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MsRandall, Feb 6, 2014.

1. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Hello Verizon Customers:

Are you thinking about moving to AT&T? Or are you sticking with your plan on Verizon?

Heres my story...I have 2 iPhone 5(s) and 1 iphone 5s on my Verizon account. Currently I enjoy a 22% discount on Verizon. I am on the mobile share 10gb. My bill is about $210-$215 on Verizon right now. My contracts end this year in June, July and Sept. My iPhone 5s was purchased without a contract extension.

The move to AT&T would cost me efts fees of $150, $180, and $180 minus the $300 AT&T is giving for new lines of service for 3 lines. Net EFT out of my pocket is $210.

My husband and son would need new phones as they both have the iPhone 5 - however with the trade in value at BB both would be could get the phone they wanted without spending any pocket money.

AT&T plan would be $80 for 10gb (I have a 20% discount with AT$T) plus $40 dollars for the two new phones if I didnt go with the NEXT program and then $15 dollars for my line...approx bill with AT&T $175 + $15 taxes=$190

So although it not that much of a savings all phones would be upgraded to the latest and greatest and I would gain web access when I am on the phone.

So have you done the math for you account? Are you switching?? Thoughts???

I will be watching closely for Verizons next move- I am not ready to switch today but the next 3 months will be key for me.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The day that AT&T announced the change, my wife ported her Verizon number over to AT&T. We ended up saving about $30 a month compared to our current individual plans. We both have a 5s, so she just had to pay her ETF(which we'll recoup in about 8 months of service after AT&T gives us the credit). Additionally I'm rolling my family into this new share plan and it'll end up saving everyone around $100 a month across 5 lines.

3. sdlevi27 macrumors regular

They don't "need" new phones if they're ok with HSPA+ (4g) as opposed to LTE. I'm in the same boat as you (moving my in-laws from iPhone 5 on VZ to our AT&T account). They're fine with 4G speeds for $0 phone replacement cost. Save the money and upgrade them to the iPhone 6.

4. vonWachtstain macrumors regular

Yeah. I think its better deal than Tmobile. You pretty much keep good service coverage and save at least $30 a month. So long Verizon

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm happy with VZW, they have coverage that I need, good customer support and the phone plan I have is good. I think the move away from subsidies will continue and VZW will offer plans to compete against ATT and T-Mo.

When my contract ends later this year, I'll re-evaluate everything but I don't see myself changing.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

I have 4 off contract iPhones with unlimited text and data that I pay $2100/year after discount. I realize I'm lucky however I like verizon so why switch?

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I agree. A lot of times my HSPA (4G) speeds are as fast as my LTE speeds. I don't notice a difference, other than the indicator in the status bar. I'd save $50 a month and keep the 5.

8. c0LdFire macrumors regular

It's not a massive bill difference for me (only 2 lines), but it is significantly more data (4gb vs 10gb) for about $15/mo less. I'll be switching to it at the end of my contract unless Verizon does something to compete.

The data alone wouldn't do it since I'm on WiFI 99% of the time and never hit my current cap to begin with, but knowing I have that data and still paying less is a win-win. I've used AT&T before (not even a year ago, actually) and their service is nearly identical to Verizon where I live, so it'll be a no-brainer.

Your move, Verizon...

9. MsRandall thread starter macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

Yea you are right - waiting for the iPhone 6 would make more sense- I could give my husband my iPhone 5s when the i6 comes out###

10. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm waiting to see what verizon does also. Their edge program is the start of them debundling the costs of the phone from the service. At this point in stuck as I will never be able to get the same deal.

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

No reason to jump ASAP. AT&T and VZW tend to play a game of tag with each other. VZW will match (or get very close) to AT&T's plans soon. Patience.

12. MsRandall thread starter macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

I hope you are right...;)

13. Jumpie macrumors 6502a

Jumpie

I'm staying with VZW for now because of C-Block agreement with FCC. It's always good for them to have your back.

14. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

Are you referring to the tethering issue, or something else? I'm considering a switch to Verizon, so please elaborate as I can use all the information I can get my hands on. Thanks!

15. YodasMaster macrumors member

Their C-Block agreement just basically says that it's your data and you can use it however you want with which device you want.

16. EbookReader macrumors 65816

And that is one reason why DOJ and FCC don't want 3 carriers.

The 3 could play a game of tag with each others. It's more profitable to keep the prices high in lock-step.

If you compete to gain market share by lowering prices, your competitor might response by also lowering prices. You are back at step 1 again.

Ask any Canadian. This is what is happening in Canada. 3 Dominant National Carriers. They don't compete.

Each carriers CEO know that as long as they don't lower prices, the other 2 carriers won't either. Tacit Collusion at its best and there is nothing the government can do about it since it's legal.

Canadian government have tried for years to have a 4th national carrier but to no success. The 3 carriers spent tens of millions in TV ad recently to block Verizon as this "4th national carrier" in Canada.

http://o.canada.com/news/national/c...h-bell-rogers-and-telus-wireless-ad-campaign/

17. I7guy, Feb 8, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2014

I7guy macrumors G5

With the exception of tethering for which you are required by the TOS to pay a $30/mo fee that is specifically exempted from the agreement.

And while there have been posts about jail breaking the 5s to get free tethering verizon, unlike ATT, has elected, so it seems, at this point not to enforce its TOS. But that clearly could change.

18. Decimotox macrumors 6502a

You must work at US Bank with those discounts ;)

19. Prise macrumors regular

Well, in the US, collusion, in any form, is most assuredly illegal. However, anti-trust violations are exceedingly difficult to prove, which is why I'm hoping the DOJ & FCC will not approve the Sprint takeover of T-Mobile.

20. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

We were thinking about it (still on the family plan), but decided against it. Problem is, this is how it works with AT&Ts new plan:

$100 for Unlimited Talk/Text 10GB of Data
    $15 for each line access X 4

Total $160.

Now, thats if you are on Next or off contract. However, if you are on a contract, the cost goes up on line access from $15 to $40. So if all 4 of the lines are in contract, this is the new cost:

$40 for each line access X 4

Total $260

So now lets say we do sign up for Next and everyone gets 16GB 5ses. On Next 18, where you can upgrade after 18 months and have to pay for 26 months, the payments are $25 a month per phone. So lets add that in:

$15 for each line access X 4
    $25 a month for phone payments X 4

Total $260.

So if all 4 lines are in contract like they normally are, AT&T will cost the same as Verizon's competing plan (Unlim Talk/Text 10GB Data), which is more then we need.

We only use 6GB, so that $240. Then a 20% off discount. So it actually comes out cheaper on Verizon. Plus, with better coverage, who can argue?

If you want to be in one of those upgrade plans like Next, Edge, or JUMP, or want to be on the big carrier and not pay very much off contract, yeah AT&T is a LOT better deal then Verizon. But if you want to stay on contract, they equal out the same.

21. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Your math is perfect but you're forgetting the fact that you'll pay $200 up front for each phone on the first plan where AT&T subsidizes the phone.

I've found when comparing these plans, it's easier to calculate the service cost over 2 years, plus any costs that you incur when upgrading the phones.

for the Next plan, your payments are spread out over 20 or 26 months, but either way you only pay $650. So you'd end up paying $2600 for 16GB iPhones over each 2 year period.

For the subsidized plan, you pay $25 per month per phone, plus $200 up front for each phone. That ends up being $3200 over the 2 year period.

In either case, you pay $160 per month for 24 months, or $3840 for service.

You tell me which one is the better deal.

22. aneftp macrumors 68040

I am both verizon and ATT customer.

Have unlimited data with Verizon and ATT. So I ain't switching. Ha.

Verizon unlimited data on lte iPad is gold to me. Will keep it for as long as it's possible.

23. MsRandall thread starter macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

No Pacific Gas and Electric

24. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yes, the better deal would be the Payment Plan, but also consider this:

On Verizon, the competing plan is $260 a month, which is the same as AT&T no matter if you go with the 2 year commitment or Next. Now, yes you do pay $200 up front but lets add up the total cost for the complete commitment with both carriers:

Verizon and AT&T 2 year Contract:

$260 a month X 24 months
    $200 per phone X 4 iPhones

Total: $7,040 for 2 years (length of contracts)

AT&T Next 18:

$160 a month X 26 months
    ($25 per phone X 4 iPhones) X 26 months

Total: $6760 for 26 months (length of payments).

Thats only a savings of $280 per 2 years or just under $12 a month. Its not worth (to me and my family anyway) saving $12 a month and losing a LOT coverage. To most, it wouldn't be that big of deal, but all of the other carriers suck in my area. Verizon is the only good carrier.

25. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You're comparing the cost of a plan over 24 months to the cost of a plan over 26 months. And in doing so, you ruin the comparison.

Verizon and AT&T 2 year Contract:

$260 a month X 24 months
    $200 per phone X 4 iPhones

Total: $7,040 for 2 years (length of contracts)

VS

AT&T value share with Next or buying the phone outright:

$160 a month x 24 months
    $650 per phone x 4 iPhones(this is either up front, or paid over 20/26 months)

Total: $6,440 for 2 years.

It's $600 cheaper every two years, and that grows by $100 every month that you choose NOT to upgrade($260 a month vs $160 a month).

As for your point about coverage, I totally understand that. Verizon and AT&T have nearly equal coverage where I live, so it's easier for us to make this switch.