Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
I'd be rich if I counted the amount of times we had sources. . . :rolleyes:

No doubt it'll happen eventually but can the hype die down a little? Please?
Not much of a chance. There are too many doting fanboys that are drooling on themselves over the fantasy that Verizon is the answer to phone performance and connectivity. The grass is greener theory is a mirage...

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Not much of a chance. There are too many doting fanboys that are drooling on themselves over the fantasy that Verizon is the answer to phone performance and connectivity. The grass is greener theory is a mirage...

You guys really over exaggerate. Try to sound a little less condescending please.

2 years ago, Verizon would have been the answer to a LOT of network issues. Today the situation is a bit different since AT&T has worked out a lot of issues related to the WCDMA migration as well as upgrading the backhaul on a lot of towers.

However, there are still a lot of people who have better coverage from Verizon than they do AT&T (just like the reverse is the same for others). This doesn't make them fanboys. In my opinion the mods should treat that term as they do any other offensive put down or name-calling. it's extremely condescending to belittle people's desire for another carrier when thay have good reason, even if you don't know what the reasons are.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA

103026-vwireless.jpg

Businessweek reports that Apple is planning on introducing the Verizon iPhone sometime after CES 2011, according to a person familiar with Apple's plans. Businessweek speculates the anticipated event could come before Valentines day which falls on February 14th, but there's no clear indication how they came to that date.

The article debates how much of an impact a Verizon iPhone will have on AT&T's bottom line. The hassle of switching carriers as well as high early termination fees are cited as reasons that AT&T may not lose as many customers as some believe. AT&T has been hampered with coverage issues for some of its customers. Verizon is believed to be able to comfortably handle the sudden growth of iPhone users, according to one analyst.

Earlier today we discussed the possibility of hearing about a Verizon iPhone as early as CES next week, but it seems more likely that Apple will keep that announcement for themselves during an early 2011 media event.

Article Link: Verizon iPhone to Come After CES?

I'm doubting the Verizon iPhone. The CDMA iPad on Verizon's network, on the other hand, I'm more expecting than speculating about, given that the Wi-Fi iPad is already bundled with Verizon's MiFi package for the same cost as the GSM 3G models with AT&T.

revdrcr

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010
[How is the Android OS? Do you like it more than iOS?[/QUOTE]

Ok, I have tried the original Droid (lousy phone, IMHO), the Droid X (very good phone), iPhone 3G, 3gS and iPhone 4. Here is my analysis: Android is very good. iPhone OS and iOS4 are superior, same analysis for the phones. Like the differences between Windows OS and Mac OS.

revdrcr

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2010
Clearly you don't know the difference between CDMA and GSM. With Verizon's EVDO they are able to have voice and data separate MEANING increase in data would NOT effect calls.

Excuse me, I DO know the differences...clearly no one, not even you, knows what impact a Verizon iPhone will ultimately have on their CDMA systems.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Excuse me, I DO know the differences...clearly no one, not even you, knows what impact a Verizon iPhone will ultimately have on their CDMA systems.

I'm pretty sure Verizon knows. Any systems engineer worth a crap does load testing. Verizon has the luxury of seeing what AT&T went through. Anybody that thinks they aren't doing all kinds of testing is a fool. Verizon already has a reputation for making sure their network is top-notch, even at the expense of carrying the newest models a little later than everyone else so that they can be thoroughly tested.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure Verizon knows. Any systems engineer worth a crap does load testing. Verizon has the luxury of seeing what AT&T went through. Anybody that thinks they aren't doing all kinds of testing is a fool. Verizon already has a reputation for making sure their network is top-notch, even at the expense of carrying the newest models a little later than everyone else so that they can be thoroughly tested.

Good point that is why I use Verizon.

bks691

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2009

You're joking right! Verizons network is top notch? Ha!! The reason why they carry new devices....late, is so the can maximize their profits. There will be no iPhone on verizon as long as Jobs is alive.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
You're joking right! Verizons network is top notch? Ha!! The reason why they carry new devices....late, is so the can maximize their profits. There will be no iPhone on verizon as long as Jobs is alive.

What is the logic behind saying that there will be no iPhone as long as Jobs is alive? I think you're the one that must be joking. That's an internet myth that's been debunked. Get with the times.

Edit: All those people swearing Jobs was holding a grudge against Verizon for turning down the iPhone or for the attacking ads.....they're all eating crow after Verizon started carrying the iPad. It may not be on the network yet, but it proved that Apple will do business with Verizon, despite what all the naysayers thought.

Last edited:

UCPonch

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2010

Because, as we all know, Steve Jobs hates making money.

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
And you realize Steve Jobs' salary is only $1 per year. His money is entirely based upon results....so iPhone sales = money in Steve's pocket. But sure, he can hold a grudge against Verizon and gladly lose a few million out of his pocket...NOT.:rolleyes:

I was wondering if you were joking with the 1 dollar per year thing, and when I read the article, I was laughing and then I thought, "What a sneaky b*****d. Avoiding taxes like that!" :p

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
I was wondering if you were joking with the 1 dollar per year thing, and when I read the article, I was laughing and then I thought, "What a sneaky b*****d. Avoiding taxes like that!" :p

Yeah, I think he gets paid in stock instead, and capital gains taxes are less than income tax.

Edit: My comment on the stocks is a guess...and it's more likely options that just stocks themselves, so until exercised the mean little.

Here's a good article on the subject of how he probably makes his money. http://www.businessinsider.com/how-does-steve-jobs-manage-to-get-by-one-just-a-dollar-a-year-2010-1

Last edited:

eah2119

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2010
The more rumors I see, the less likely I think a Verizon iPhone is.

On the contrary. These rumors are expected to become yearns. As the rumors continue, people will yearn closer to a Verizon iPhone and eventually Apple will lose business. People will go with a different carrier with dissatisfaction with at@t.

I can see your view, however. It's like the fairy tale, the boy who cried wolf. The rumors are becoming less convincing to be true.

But this is going to go one of two ways: Apple sticks with at@t and eventually at@t becomes better OR Apple opens up to other carriers and all is good. It will all come in time.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
On the contrary. These rumors are expected to become yearns. As the rumors continue, people will yearn closer to a Verizon iPhone and eventually Apple will lose business. People will go with a different carrier with dissatisfaction with at@t.

I can see your view, however. It's like the fairy tale, the boy who cried wolf. The rumors are becoming less convincing to be true.

But this is going to go one of two ways: Apple sticks with at@t and eventually at@t becomes better OR Apple opens up to other carriers and all is good. It will all come in time.

3rd way: Verizon grows up and standardizes on a network standard compatible with the phone: either go GSM, or roll out LTE, which every other carrier appears to be naturally migrating to anyway.

BL.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
3rd way: Verizon grows up and standardizes on a network standard compatible with the phone: either go GSM, or roll out LTE, which every other carrier appears to be naturally migrating to anyway.

BL.

Verizon grew up long before AT&T. AT&T is just now coming out of adolesence with their awful network. And they still refuse to cover their entire network with 3G coverage.

Verizon grew up long ago and has had a superior network for quite a while. The move to LTE will just continue the pattern.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Verizon grew up long before AT&T. AT&T is just now coming out of adolesence with their awful network. And they still refuse to cover their entire network with 3G coverage.

Verizon grew up long ago and has had a superior network for quite a while. The move to LTE will just continue the pattern.

Yet ATT and every other carrier with the iPhone, save China Unicom, use GSM, and with it being worldwide, is a seamless transition from one carrier to another.

Show us any Verizon or locked CDMA that can seamlessly be used on another CDMA network.

BL.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Yet ATT and every other carrier with the iPhone, save China Unicom, use GSM, and with it being worldwide, is a seamless transition from one carrier to another.

Show us any Verizon or locked CDMA that can seamlessly be used on another CDMA network.

BL.

It wasn't worldwide when Verizon chose CDMA. CDMA was the superior technology. Go learn a little history about the networks before spouting out an uniformed opinion.

Edit: AT&T and GSM in general were the one's that needed to grow up. They finally did when they dumped TDMA for WCDMA.

Last edited:

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
It wasn't worldwide when Verizon chose CDMA. CDMA was the superior technology. Go learn a little history about the networks before spouting out an uniformed opinion.

GSM wasn't worldwide when Verizon chose it? Optus, Telstra, BT, Vodafone, Softbank, and many others had already laid out and used GSM when Verizon went mainstream in the mid-late 1990s. PacBell and Cingular both had TDMA/GSM laid out and using it when Spring and Verizon went CDMA.

Don't assume that someone doesn't know what they are talking about, because you don't know them, nor their background in the telephony industry.

Disclaimer: I worked for Sprint when CDMA was laid out for both them and Verizon in the mid-90s.

BL.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
GSM wasn't worldwide when Verizon chose it? Optus, Telstra, BT, Vodafone, Softbank, and many others had already laid out and used GSM when Verizon went mainstream in the mid-late 1990s. PacBell and Cingular both had TDMA/GSM laid out and using it when Spring and Verizon went CDMA.

Don't assume that someone doesn't know what they are talking about, because you don't know them, nor their background in the telephony industry.

Disclaimer: I worked for Sprint when CDMA was laid out for both them and Verizon in the mid-90s.

BL.

Yes, there were TDMA networks, but it was not globally dominant. (Edit: and the idea of people travelling to foreign countries with their mobile phones wasn't as popular and commonplace as it is today.) My assumption is based on the fact that you continue to refuse to aknowledge that CDMA was a good decision for those carriers at that time (Edit: and it wasn't Verizon, PrimeCo was the dominant player at the time. Actually, they were based a few miles from my home.)

Disclaimer: I worked for SWMBS in the early 90's when they rolled out one of the first TDMA networks in the US (Dallas was the second city IIRC). And it was crap back then too.

Edit: Not to mention the fact that Verizon's network as it exists today is the result of many mergers and aquisitions. Sprint is really the only homegrown network planned by one entity from the start.

Last edited:

InsanelyApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Edit: Not to mention the fact that Verizon's network as it exists today is the result of many mergers and aquisitions. Sprint is really the only homegrown network planned by one entity from the start.

You can say that again. I had Alltel, and then Verizon bought it, so yeah...

btrav13

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2010
Oklahoma
I'm not going to bother to quote anyone, but Verizon and Apple are talking. Fortune Magazine, a bastion in the US business world, did an article recently in which Verizon's CEO, Ivan Seidenberg, was interviewing with the magazine and discussing all of the talks between himself and Jobs. Why would the CEO of a huge company blatantly lie in public and on the record to a major business magazine? He states the full story of why Verizon passed the first time and the discussions that they've held since the release of the iPhone...the earliest of which was just a few months after the original launch.

For anyone who thinks that Apple will continue on in the US with only a GSM version of this device is seriously choosing to be willfully ignorant of the obvious signs that point towards this device being carried on CDMA at some point. Furthermore, the US is one of only what? 3 remaining countries where the iPhone is on an exclusive carrier? And Apple serves what? 89 countries with the iPhone?

The only people who stick their head in the sand over this are the elitists who think that having an exclusive carrier makes them important. But even on this point you're seriously mistaken as ATT is now obviously the absolute worst US carrier you could possible choose to have service on. Rather than it being an "elite" idea, it's a sad idea that you are stuck on the absolute worst carrier you could have here just to get the "best device" you could have here. That's like saying I want to marry a woman who will have sex with me every day, and then marrying the ugliest chick on the planet. Nicely done ATT folks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.