Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

landscapeman

macrumors regular
May 26, 2010
SW Florida
I am hoping that the iPhone leaves ATT grasp. I would jump to T-mobile if they had it. My only concern is if Verizon gets it, They may up the cost of data. The same way Sprint does with the EVO 4G.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
But it's not a sister model it's just on another network, when apple brings the iPhone to other countries it's not at the same time as the product launch

It's on another network, yes, but it is using the same technology. Vodafone, BT, 3, O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Softbank, Rogers, FidoNet, Optus, Telstra, etc. all use the same technology, so it's all seamless. With Verizon, it's a different issue altogether. So far, all CDMA-based iPhones have gone to China, and will more than likely be staying there.

In short, VZW (and Sprint, for that matter) had their chance in the mid 90s to standardize on TDMA/GSM, blew it then, and blew it again in 2007. Now, they have to lie in their bed of roses (including the thorns), wait out the 5 years, and grovel when the time comes, if Jobs is willing to listen.

BL.

Last edited:

AppleMojo

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2007
It does.

Why does Scandinavia have better mobile telephony and broadband Internet systems with largely the same approximate population densities as the U.S.? At much lower pricing?

Actually, much of Europe is this way, particularly the larger former Eastern Bloc countries. America's laggard behavior is not justified by population density statistics. Note that American per capita income is much higher that most of those places. A close comparison (population density, income, etc.) would be Sweden, yet Sweden's technology infrastructure blows doors on the U.S.

Explain that.

I will remind you that Canada deployed their HSPA+ networks about 6-12 months before the U.S.

Now explain that one. Yeah, you can't.

Looking at the bigger picture, the U.S. needs to be compared with the rest of the world since technology knows no boundaries. The United States had the greatest landline telephony system, the first big cable TV installation, and yet they have let most of the world surpass them. Including little countries like Malta as well as big countries like Indonesia. If America is to be a world competitor, they must assess performance against the rest of the world.

No more of this bubble crap that you assume. It's almost 2011. We don't live in a fishbowl.

ROFL... completely predictable dribble.

It's not about densities... you go small enough, my home has the same average population density as does the rest of the United States.

Have you ever designed and deployed any size of network architecture? Stretching a network cable across your living room or running wire through an office building is not the same as a multi-wan architecture routed 1/2 way around the world. You can't compare the end-result of two different technology deployments when one is handling 10 million people and the other is handling 300 million people in a geographic area 500x's the size. Although you continue to try, you simply cannot compare the two. Absolutely ridiculous.

What's Canada's population again? Last time I checked, it was relatively 10% of the United States... I am sure they have shorter lines at their Canada Post facilities, but that hardly means anything compared to the US Postal Service. And yes, I just did explain that -- at your level I might add.

Using your words, technology knows no boundaries... so you can't and should stop comparing it against boundaries. You say that, then begin comparing it against countries with boundaries again. You compare technology by implementation and measure with metrics. A single bus in a 500 person town may work well, but scale that up to the greater Chicago area with as many as 9 million people and it just doesn't work the same.

The lack of insight into the bigger picture is laughable.

This all comes down to common sense, grab a little pencil and a sheet of paper and design a network architecture for a town of 500 people. With that in hand, do you really think you can relatively compare your new network topology to a city of 8 million people over 3000 square miles in size? Or even possibly compare it to the technology of an entire country?

And with technology aside, why not take into account your comments on Indonesia... considering their extremely high level of poverty do we need to discuss ethics and politics of spending resources on technology rather than feeding their own citizens... last time I checked, Red Cross rice wasn't being delivered to any US states / cities.

Oh, and let me add one more thing to just make it a little more easy for you to understand. Why not compare a small town in the United States with excellent coverage and network performance against your apparent prized little EU nations? Obviously you aren't comparing equals so why not go in reverse and compare a city of 50,000 people against Sweden or Holland? I already know the answer here, but maybe it help you understand just how silly your argument is.

Pathetic.

-- I just went back and read a comment where you are using a pay-as-you-go service... why do people who can't afford to use technology love to sit around and discuss the things that are outside of their pay grade? *shakes head*

Last edited:

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Given Apple's love for the "reality distortion field," my guess right now is that Apple will hold a press event in late January 2011 that will:

1) Unveil the 2G iPad with higher resolution display, 32 to 128 GB flash memory storage, and either GSM UTMS or CDMA data cellular connectivity.

2) Introduce the iPhone 4 with CDMA access, along with a modified version of iOS designed to work within the limitations of CDMA.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
Not so sure anymore

Like everyone else I have been following the iPhone for Verizon rumors for years. I am hopeful that they will come to fruition if for no other reason than people will have a choice about their carriers. I am understandably skeptical of these however. I think this is one instance where SJ should do his customers/fans a solid and put this thing to bed once and for all.

SchuettS

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2008
"planning on introducing the Verizon iPhone sometime after CES 2011"

So that could be a couple days, months or years after.. this could not be any more vague.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
This makes sense with the way Apple likes to work and past announcements. MacWorld is at the end of January. Apple will let the competition have their day at CES and then come out and steal the show with announcements right after. They did it last year and a new iPad with the CMDA iPhone with a new iOS would probably do this again. I also think there will be little wait for the Verizon phone. I say available at announcement. This would be in line with other rumors of stock being made already.

nfrs2000

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2009
If this excites you, go have fun on Verizon. I loathe that crooked company after buying a Verizon MiFi and having to deal with their shady billing practices. I'll stick with ATT. No problems here in Southeastern Michigan and at least they don't try to steal from me.

I agree! Worst customer service ever! Ill give up a few dropped calls over shady billing practices.

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
My guess:

• Apple will announce a CDMA (Verizon) iPad 2 when the iPad 2's are announced.
  • There will be no CDMA iPhone until at least June/July when the next model of iPhone is released.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
The more rumors I see, the less likely I think a Verizon iPhone is.

Denial - it's not just a river....(ok, it's not a river at all :p)

enough with this garbage!

Don't open it then. Why don't you visit MacIHateRumors.com

My theory is they will do a pre annoumcent like did they with the original iphone.

So late jan announcment available in June or in march.

This gives time for people to prepare not to renew their contract if they were thinking about sticking with their current carrier.

Also I assume phone needs to go through FCC approval process and apple will likely announce it before it submits it.

That doesn't make sense since there is already a product in the market. Apple won't want to harm existing iPhone sales and Verizon won't want to hurt Android sales.

Verizon could've had the iPhone 4 years ago, but they said no and AT&T said yes. I have been using iPhone on AT&T since mid-2009, 3G, 3GS, and now iPhone 4, and have used it up and down the East Coast, and have had no problems with AT&T's service. I know others have, but the majority of iPhone users have not. If, and when, the iPhone ever does show up with Verizon, it will be interesting to see how they handle the massive increase in data and calls. Frankly, if it had been Verizon from the start, I doubt their track record would be that much better than AT&T.

Verizon already handles massive amounts of data. They have a majority of the 3G aircard customers due to launching 3G long before AT&T.

Also, I'd like to debunk the "AT&T crippled under iPhone data usage" myth. While it may be true in a couple of markets, most of the users that experienced iPhone reception issues were NOT due to the amount of data used by the iPhone. There were multiple failures on both Apple and AT&T's parts that lead to the constant dropped calls. One was a bad configuration on the iPhone itself. IIRC, this happened twice. Another was AT&T's messy migration from TDMA (2G) to WCDMA (3G). The tower placements for the 2 technologies don't really match so simply dropping a WCDMA radio into all the existing TDMA towers really hurt AT&Ts network coverage. It took them quite some time to sort this out. Verizon has no such issues with CDMA. Can't speak about LTE.

Android users typically use more data than iOS users, so Verizon is prepared. Also voice and data uses separate bands on Verizon. That's why there is no simultaneous voice + data on Verizon. So if anything data will cripple, which is unlikely, and voice will not be affected.

EDIT: This is also part of the business week article.

VERY good point.

On verizonwireless.com, under smartphones there is a menu to select by OS, and iOS is listed there, but it is grayed out...for now anyway.

Ok, that's pretty solid proof. But to be the devil's advocate, could it be there due to the iPad?

I just dropped sprint a few weeks ago and finally got an iPhone. What have I encountered? Fewer dropped calls, better sound quality, an awesome phone. I'm happy. What's with all these whiners?:)

Perhaps because they don't live with you and share the same habits, travel patterns you do?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
My money says apple will release the white iPhone 4 as a Verizon CDMA exclusive.
My money says that Apple will not turn down potential worldwide revenue by making a specially colored product an exclusive of one U.S. domestic partner.

As a matter of fact, I don't think Apple has ever limited access of a product to one of its channel partners based on cosmetics.

If the white iPhone is ready to ship, everyone will get it. Because that's the responsibie thing for Apple to do vis-a-vis its shareholders, like me.

videoholic

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
all i know is that i talk on my iphone for more than 2 minutes once a month and during that call, the signal drops at least 3 times no matter where i am.

Never had a drop call in three years in Tampa plus travels. Have you ruled out operator error?

jiarizti

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2008
Guadalajara, México
Totally true

In Mexico, IUSACEL wich uses the same celular technology as VERIZON is promoting in printed materials and billboards the availability of the iPhone as "very soon". Up until now only TELCEL and MOVIESTAR wich use GSM had been offering it.

videoholic

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2010
If people leave at&t and it helps alleviate some of the strain on their system, do you think tethering will become something that is finally included? I can understand charging for tethering from a regular cell phone to a computer because you are using the data stream to see the web on your computer. But you can already see the web on a smartphone so you are really just changing the screen size.

eNcrypTioN

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2009
I'd like nothing more than to see the iPhone on another carrier but at this point everything in my opinion is simply pure speculation. I do believe the iPhone will come to Verizon but I don't think anyone really knows exactly when it will happen. I do know however, that the iPhone will be on all U.S. carriers at one point.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Apple says that the White iPhone is coming in the spring, coincidence?
I don't believe this one bit. They have made white everything in the past and you mean to tell me an iPhone is their kryptonite? I was stupid and held off to make sure that I could get a white iPhone because I liked it and it was only a few months after my contract ended with Verizon, now I know better :cool:

If it takes too long I'm just gonna get a Droid X again.
I've looked at all my friends that have the new ones and I must say I like them and what they can do at this point. If no news by the end of January which gives me the time to recoupe from Xmas gifts, a Droid or Black iPhone will be a February purchase because I do need a new "do a bunch of stuff more than just talk on a phone".

The more rumors I see, the less likely I think a Verizon iPhone is.
I thought that way many times as I think that Verizon is playing it smart and working out any issues using the iPad as a test run on the network.

They both are very strong OSes at this point. I have had an iPhone 4 and Droid X with FroYo. Thank god for contact cancellations. :p If I had to stick with one for a couple years it would be Android. iOS is fantastic, but I'm sick of the Walled Garden. Android can do so many of those things I have always wanted so bad but iOS could never provide.

I love them both, but Android is a touch better in my book and only getting better.
As I mentioned above I've seen both. I know that being able to handle some light Flash via the needs of video streaming, the Droid handled it well for an organization I volunteer at which was a huge deal to some. I don't care if Apple and Adobe don't want to play nice because if someone wants to use a phone, iPad to watch video streaming I need to provide what I can with what a person has now. The Droid played it back really well, VLC for iPhone? Haven't tested it yet but I will in a few months. All the options I've been shown that the Droid can do makes me care less if I can't talk and use data at the same time. I do believe the OS for both will only get stronger but who can offer the most this year will be a big key point.

They'll announce it in 2012.

Everyone enjoy their Droids for now.
I'll either cave and buy an iPhone (black since I have no choice) by February or a Droid and stay with Verizon but I agree, this is what makes potential customers really irritated for the time being. I really need a new phone at this point and I have no one to be twisted at for playing the "I believe you" game thinking that okay a white iPhone was pushed back a bit but what's another month this summer. Now, who really knows and I don't really care anymore and if I didn't have every B-day/holiday/event from October to New Years I would have bought an iPhone back in September and been enjoying it.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
att has stepped their coverage up BIG in my area. The way I see it- why switch to a slower network? (4G excluded)

They've improved in Dallas as well. Just enough to make me actually think hard before I switch.

It's not "never." It's a matter of timing.

I'm not convinced that Verizon will get the iPhone in the next year. I'm thinking more like 2013.

There's a cost associated with developing a handset with a different technology, the COGS would be different, yet Apple would be compelled to sell it at the same price. The margins would be different. There's also the added cost of customer support, engineering, documentation, inventory, etc. for two different devices.

Depending on if you talk to the CDMA or GSM industry groups, they will say that GSM/UTMS captures 80-85% of the global telephony market. It's not just about selling to Verizon Wireless. The worldwide revenue potential for a CDMA handset is considerably less.

There is also a much harder metric to consider. If using the handset on different network technologies results in a different customer satisfaction rating, Apple may have to consider that. That's one reason why I think Apple may wait until 2012 or 2013 to release a CDMA/LTE iPhone. There is an upgrade path for the HSPA handset: HSPA+ 14, HSPA+ 21, or HSPA+ 42. There is no such upgrade path for EV-DO handsets, as far as I can tell.

Yeah, and these same costs are associated with every new model. You know, that iPhone 4 thing that came out a few months back? In fact, a lot of those costs will be offset if Verizon gets an iPhone in the same form-factor.

So you're telling me all HSPA+ handsets will be software upgradeable? There is no upgrade path for the iPhone 4, I'll tell you that much.

+1

My service will most definitely improve once everyone swings to Verizon. Not like I really have any problems anyways. Then we'll start hearing all the Verizon network sucks and AT&T is better threads :D

But will never happen in the foreseeable future.

Exactly what magic do you guys expect to happen on AT&T's network that will improve it for you? If your issue is dropped calls, people migrating off won't fix that. It MIGHT help not being able to get a call out in congested areas (rush hour traffic, sporting events, etc..) and it MIGHT help for those that have slow data in high population areas. But it won't help signal issues.

I find this hilarious. Who really knows what they can handle until it happens. I am sure AT&T thought they were prepared, but how exactly does one prepare? And what exactly constitutes an iPhone user, since everyone is different?

And I'd also like to point out that Verizon has the luxury of learing from AT&T's failures.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; sv-se) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

I'm getting a little tired of these Verizon rumors. They've been around for a long time, and nothing has happened. It seems obvious to me that everyone wants one so much, they're trying to imagine it into existence.

There might be a Verizon phone, but Apple won't break iPhone's product cycle by introducing a sister model 7 months after the iPhone 4, nor a half-upgrade 5 months before unveiling iPhone 5. It simply won't happen, because it's not the way Aple does business. If the phone arrives, it will arrive together with the iPhone 5. If. Isn't this obvious to anyone else?

Right, cuz Apple never changes anything. :rolleyes:

I switched on November 1st from Verizon to my first iPhone...the iPhone 4. I live on Long Island about 50 miles from New York City. And let me say this much. I only get about 1-2 dropped calls per month. The voice quality is great. I get at least as good reception as my old Verizon phone. I had some dead spots near the beach with Verizon...they are a little less dead on the AT&T iPhone. I am mostly in midtown Manhattan and the upper east and upper west side...so far the iPhone has excellent reception.

I see so many complaints with AT&T, yet I've been using Verizon for the past 10 years and it's no better...maybe even a little worse in my experience. And supposedly the data rate for emails and the internet is twice as fast on AT&T.

If Verizon got the phone and I could switch back I WOULD NOT DO IT. My experience so far at least is an order of magnitude better. I just don't get all the complaints. I wonder if that had more to do with a couple of years ago, unrealistic expectations and perhaps a few glitches along the way with smart phone growth?

In any event, I will hold this iPhone 4 for 2 years and until LTE comes out, probably upgrade in 2-3 years time to iPhone 6. That's the plan.

AT&T has stepped up in a lot of places and improved the network. You just missed all the fun. :D

I'd say your plan is solid. No need to always be upgrading if the phone and carrier work well for you.

It's on another network, yes, but it is using the same technology. Vodafone, BT, 3, O2, Orange, T-Mobile, Softbank, Rogers, FidoNet, Optus, Telstra, etc. all use the same technology, so it's all seamless. With Verizon, it's a different issue altogether. So far, all CDMA-based iPhones have gone to China, and will more than likely be staying there.

In short, VZW (and Sprint, for that matter) had their chance in the mid 90s to standardize on TDMA/GSM, blew it then, and blew it again in 2007. Now, they have to lie in their bed of roses (including the thorns), wait out the 5 years, and grovel when the time comes, if Jobs is willing to listen.

BL.

What CDMA based iPhones have gone to China? You know something the rest of the world doesn't? And how do they go to China..when they're already in China? :p

You can't blame VZW and Sprint for their decision not to go GSM. CDMA was the superior technology back then and TDMA/GSM was NOT globally dominant at the time. I sold/owned several TDMA phones, they sounded like I was talking under water half the time. It was common knowledge in the industry that CDMA was superior. They chose the stronger of the 2 technologies, even though it was more expensive. They had no idea GSM would eventually become as ubiquitous as it has become. I'd liken it to VHS vs Beta, just without the rapid extreme results of one dying out right away.

"planning on introducing the Verizon iPhone sometime after CES 2011"

So that could be a couple days, months or years after.. this could not be any more vague.

Read on...they do narrow down to a target. (But I'm guessing you knew that)

Yes. I see today's rumors have moved the date to February. :D

Except for a few that thought Apple/Verizon might try to make it by the holiday season, and a few other analysts that always try to get too specific when they don't truly know, the target is always been Q1.

Check this link: http://iusacell.com.mx/iphone/

IUSACEL has the biggest CDMA network in México.

EDIT: Even when the above is true, I just learned that IUSACEL deployed a GSM network this year. Sorry for what I thought was a real proof of a CDMA iPhone.

Yeah, from what I read they are getting GSM iPhones.

Last edited:

jaysonr

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
deja vu

Well since the supposed "announcement" of a Verizon iphone is being pushed back again (first it was supposed to come out last June, then in November, then at CES) to February, everyone is already assuming that the event has got to be for the Verizon iphone. While I have been hoping for a Verizon iphone for quiet a while now, I really think that if Apple has a media event in the next couple months (and if the past is any indication, they will), it will be to announce the iPad 2. And as far as the possibility of the Verizon iphone being that "one more thing", I highly doubt that will be the case. A Verizon iphone is too high profile to be footnote for another product. Same thing happened last year (everyone kept expecting the Verizon iphone to show up, and they were disappointed when it was "just" the ipad). It's frustrating because everyone keeps getting their hopes up, only to be disappointed time and time again. So as much as I would love the iphone to come to Verizon, I don't think it's going to happen at the next Apple media event. My heart wants one thing, but my brain says another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.