Verizon killing $15, 150MB data plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wordoflife, Jan 24, 2011.

1. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/verizon-tweaking-low-end-data-plans-using-3g-distinction-to-u/

So I guess those who were planning to go with the cheapest data plan (150MB) will be out of luck?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

So I know I'm reading this correctly, the only data plan you can get on VZW is now unlimited for $29.99 if you own a smartphone? That is how I read it. For someone like me it is ok. I won't go back to AT&T because I can't use their service. I need a phone first, normally. VZW has given me my phone service back. ;)

3. tjb1 macrumors 68000

So there goes me getting a Thunderbolt...guess im getting an iPhone 4.

4. Megavolt419 macrumors newbie

So the 29.99 plan will be for the iphone then huh? :D

5. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Mother F@#&@® I was going to get the 150mb plan. Guess I am not getting an iPhone.

F#^$ you Verizon. :mad:

6. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

While I'm sure most of us here would be getting the bigger plan anyway (I have the $30 unlimited with AT&T and won't give that up for anything), this will definately affect other people moving up from a dumbphone. I know my brother and father would have never gotten the iPhone with the old $30 plan, it wasn't until the $15 plan was an option that they considered an iPhone.

7. jav6454, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011

jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Don't let the door hit you on the way out:rolleyes:

AT&T still has that plan, but I bet you live where AT&T isn't good.

8. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

LOL an iphone is data heavy phone why would you get a 150 mb plan?
    What would you do with only 150mb?

9. mpossoff macrumors 68020

My brother was happy with the new $15 plan because for Christmas he got his 3 children iPhones.

For me I would never give up my unltd data plan.

10. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I plan on only using my phone for email and occasional web surfing only. I pay the $5.00/month to access email on my crappy old LG enV. The 150mb plan was just what I needed. :mad:

Will this switch occur before the iPhone is released next week?

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

See ya:D

12. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Forgive me for saying this but, what a waste if you were going to get an iphone to do just that... You won't be using the full capacity of what this phone can do without using heavy data.

With what you only want can be done on cheaper smart phones very easily.

13. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

I wasn't planning on getting an iPhone but my contract is up and I need a new iPod so I am getting two for one for $150.00.

14. whiteyanderson macrumors 6502

Any smart phone on Verizon is $29.99 for unlimited data.

15. mpossoff macrumors 68020

You can use mistly wifi you know.

As for me I use 3G all the time cause I want to get my monies worth. I get good data speed averaging 1.80'ish download.

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

And who are you again to decide how, why and for what people will use their phone?
    Listen many people have unlimited data and they're surrounded with wifi.
    So paying $30 and averaging 100-150MB is a waste if you can save some money with a lesser plan.
    I use my iphone alot but since I got wifi at home and work then Im mostly covered. Even though I have the unlimited and plan on keeping it its not the same for everyone. Everyone should be able to use the phone how they want it and everyones needs are difference.
    It would be nice to respect the fact that different people have different needs and uses of their phones and because you say so it is still not a waste having an iphone with 150 or 200MB data plan.

17. vong macrumors 6502a

vong

thank god AT&T still having theirs, i only use +/- 50Mb a month lol

18. bad03xtreme macrumors 6502a

bad03xtreme

Thanks, I have Wi-Fi at home and work where I am 90% of the time I use phone so I would only need 150mb plan anything else would be excess for myself and money in Verizon's pocket.

19. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Ok so stating MY opinion means I decide who and what to use?
    ROFL...

20. scelzifan macrumors 6502

This makes me extremely happy. I have been waiting for this news now for weeks. I always used at least 2-3 gb's per month with netflix and what not so I am happy that it's only costing $30 for unlimited still. I thought for sure they would raise that or do away with it. Good news for me if it's true.

21. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I wonder if AT&T will off the unlimited data plan again

22. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Your opinion makes it seem as you think people who use $15 plans on an iPhone are stupid. So we take that as an insult.

23. TimShady macrumors member

I don't think this guarantees that the iPhone will have 29.99/unlimited as the only option, or as an option at all for that matter. Verizon's FAQ for the iPhone still says data pricing will be announced at a later date.

I dunno, we probably will get it for the iPhone, I'm just saying it's not confirmed either way.

24. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

restructuring and killing the cheaper services is what's hot right now I guess, same goes w/ AT&T & the elimination of the $5 200txt plan for future subscribers...

25. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

This is extremely upsetting. We have a family plan with 4 smartphone lines on it--3 blackberries and my droid, just this month I took a look at the usage and found that the 3 blackberries were tops hitting 40mb a month, with my mother using 4mb (!!) thus far this month! They don't need an unlimited plan--paying for it is robbery, and so I was excited when they tiered it and it amounted to savings of $530 a year by ditching the useless unlimited plans for blackberries when it's so clunky and user-unfriendly to bother using the internet on those devices. I use about 500mb and wish they had even more tiers...so when I get the iPhone next month I'll still be on the $30 plan...but they better grandfather these lower plans and not force the upgrade to unlimited to those who don't want it!