Carrier Verizon will require data plans to stay on a line for its full contract duration.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoshGlzBrk, Aug 9, 2014.

1. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

2. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

It makes smart business sense for Verizon to do this. If they are paying a $450 subsidy on a phone, just to have you swap it to another line and you add a dummy ESN and drop the data plan, Verizon only charging you $10/mo for the line for 24 months... they aren't even recouping the subsidy costs. I am surprised it has already gone on for so long.

3. 617aircav Suspended

4. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

What does it mean to provide a non-contracted smartphone?

Apparently that is a way out, but does that mean we are giving Verizon an old phone, or we are putting the old smartphone onto the dummy line (which would require a data package anyways).

5. I7guy macrumors G5

Well okay...I use verizon and I have no problems with this. I'm surprised all carriers do not have this policy.

----------

If you are non-contracted with an old phone I would think this does not apply to you.

6. mactumors macrumors 6502

Dammit. I loved this loophole. You could get a $650 iPhone 5s for under $600 (spread out over 2 years) if you did it right. And you could do it with multiple lines. It really was free money.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

8. cnotes2019, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

cnotes2019 Suspended

Verizon will require data plans to stay on a line for its full contract durat...

If you can't be with the one you love (verizon) love the one youre with (everyone else)

9. aneftp macrumors 601

Just another money making manuever by Verizon.

If they are forcing people who buy subsidized phones to carry data for 2 years.

Than people who pay full price (or eBay/Craigslist) for their smartphones should have right to opt out of data plans altogether and have data block.

What's fair is fair? Right?

Tmobile USA used to force data plans on subsidized smartphones. But they let you opt out of data requirements if you brought your own phone full price.

And let's stop this BS about "it's a smartphone and you will lose the experience of smartphones if you don't have data crap".

If you are around wifi 80-90% of the day. You don't really need cellular data.

10. I7guy macrumors G5

I guess there is always tmobile for those angry enough with verizon.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Verizon will require data plans to stay on a line for its full contract durat...

And Cricket for those that need rural coverage.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

While the wireless carriers are all greedy, However I can't really fault VZW for this as people were making a buck on their(VZWs) dime.

13. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Good. There are way too many loopholes that cheap people use to take advantage of all these carriers.

14. aneftp macrumors 601

You are missing the big picture.

They force data on all smartphones.

Verizon (and the carriers are making lame excuses).

1. Every one needs unlimited data (circa 2006-2009) cause they want customers to have a "consistent pricing" and not have over charges

That's lame excuse back than. Than we all know they went to tier data to increase revenue

2. This requiring all subsidized smartphones have data is lame as well if they don't let you opt out of data if you pay full price.

This isn't a loophole. It's just exploitation verizon is using. If they considered a loophole than they wouod allow those who pay full price or out of contract to opt out of data.

This is just another move by carriers to move people into data plans (mobile sharing) by making old legacy plans less and less appealing.

It's the carriers own problems. In their race to brag about having the most customers. They promoted the $9.99 add a line.

Now having the most customers isn't a big driver to verizon or att. It's decreasing subsidies to consumers in a backdoor way.

They might as well just raise the prices all together.

15. nostresshere macrumors 68030

It appears there are lots of people that just like to bitch. And feel that big corporations are all bad. 100% bad.

Sure, there are people that want a smart phone and do not want data. ATT has required data on all smart phones for years. My Mom uses less data than this post takes and we have been paying for it.

No big deal.

16. famoussasjohn macrumors 6502a

famoussasjohn

Those poor carriers. How exactly are they taking advantage of the carrier? They are just performing a swap which is allowed on any other carrier. I work for Sprint and do swaps like this all the time. The line you upgrade gets the contract, and the line you activate the new device on gets the new device. No additional charges. Not a loophole. The customers are already paying for that lines cost, why further gouge them? They already get charged a data fee for the smartphone, for the line they used the upgrade for is usually a basic feature phone that won't require a data plan anyways. They shouldn't be charged a data fee for a basic feature phone unless the customer chooses to add a data package to the line. This is just a scapegoat for Verizon to charge additional BS fees.

17. I7guy macrumors G5

I can't say I agree with one thing you posted. It's sure a money grab to stop consumers from making money off of VZW subsidies. I don't get the stance....have you been exploiting this loophole?

Also VZW is under no obligation to modify it's TOS to change it's policy regarding data plans for smartphones.

18. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Bingo. There are plenty of people (especially on here) who go out and buy an iPhone on contract, swap the line back to a basic phone, and then sell the iPhone to make some money.

That is just pathetic. I'm glad VZW is forcing people to keep data for the term of the contract. It stops people from doing this and VZW doesn't loose out on the subsidy from the smartphone.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Wow, more anti-consumer practices by verizon. I'm not suprised at all with what they keep coming up to line up their pockets.
    So if someone gets a smartphone and then decides to switch back to regular phone or the smartphone gets lost/stolen they're stuck paying a smartphone data plan for 2 years while using a dumbphone.
    That's ridiculous.
    Most greedy and worst carrier ever...

20. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

What makes you think the other carriers aren't going to follow suit?

Patching up this loophole makes fiscal sense. As others have already stated; I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

21. 1080p macrumors 68020

1080p

It's funny how you call this "The big picture" and it really isn't the big picture. The situation you describe isn't even really a big problem for the majority of people. The percentage of people who want to have a smartphone with no data plan is VERY SMALL. Most people who get a smart get it to be able to use it everywhere. They want a data plan to be able to do that.

That being said, this is a loophole that Verizon is very smart to close. If you buy a subsidized iPhone, Verizon is dropping the price of the phone from $650 down to $199... Actual wait... iPhone 5S is on sale for $99 right now at Verizon. That is a $550 subsidy.

If you do the add a line swap and remove the data plan from the added line, Verizon will only bring in $240 over the course of 2 years. They lose money on this deal.

Making you keep the data, Verizon brings in $960 for that line over the course of 2 years. $410 profit... Which is still a pretty slim profit considering that the added line still could possibly access the network for phone calls or SMS. (Like if you gave the added line to a grandparent ...etc on a flip phone.)

Every phone accessing the network is a cost for Verizon.

22. I7guy macrumors G5

Yep, it's horrible. I'm positive no other carrier has anti-consumer practices if in fact you can even call it that. Maybe they should just pay you and give you the phone and beg you use their service. :rolleyes:

It's not if "someone gets a smartphone", it's that "someone gets a smartphone" on a subsidy. Think of it like buying/leasing a car; you need car insurance. With a phone you need insurance since you are on the hook for years in exchange for acquiring the phone at a reduced price.

If you return the phone, the plan will be reverted.

If you are not in agreement with this; there are multiple carriers who will be happy to have you as a customer. A carrier that may be more consumer friendly.

23. cnotes2019 Suspended

24. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Did just that. Got iPhone, sold it for a profit 7 months later, and went back to a flip phone, no data, and did not have to pay the ETF. Thought something was wrong, but to my surprise it was OK. :D

Now that loop hole has been closed. Smart of them as well...

25. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Keep drinking the cool aid.
    It's nothing like buying or leasing a car.
    If you sell the car or it gets stolen you don't continue to pay insurance on it for years.
    But keep making excuses for them.
    You are the perfect customer to them. Keep getting worst terms by your carrier and make excuses for them instead and love everything they do.
    Keep supporting them:D